UNIX -> OS/2 -> AmigaDOS -> MsDOS -> Windows

UNIX -> OS/2 -> AmigaDOS -> MsDOS -> Windows

Post by JA » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 17:52:28

That's how I see it.  (Include NeXTstep with unix)

See, I've come to appreciate task protection, and that's about the only
reason why I think OS/2 is better than AmigaDOS.  And UNIX is just king
since I'm in CS --what programmer would not want UNIX?

MsDOS sucks, but I find windows even more unpleasant since it can't really
do more than one thing at once (shut up, it can but it's really sucky at
it) and it crashes and is sucky at anything...

Oh and Windows NT, why would they go with spawn() instead of fork()? It
makes no sense except as another Microsoft-shoots-self-in-foot.

(And yes, I've used _ALL_ those systems --I'm not talking out of my hat)

Of course the best hardware is the Amiga, 'cept it's out of date.
--

Post by Joseph Cro » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 01:28:33

|> Oh and Windows NT, why would they go with spawn() instead of fork()? It
|> makes no sense except as another Microsoft-shoots-self-in-foot.

    Three possible reasons NT might use spawn().  1) Maybe it thinks it's a salmon
2) to disassociate itself from UNIX, possibly for legal reasons and 3) because it
may be working at the thread level where spawn actually has more proper
semantics.

|> (And yes, I've used _ALL_ those systems --I'm not talking out of my hat)
|>
|> Of course the best hardware is the Amiga, 'cept it's out of date.
|> --

|   Joe Crowe                                           |

|   WWW Home Page http://sauron.mpd.tandem.com/~jcrowe/ |