I've seen IT! I've touched it! It's the CD32!

I've seen IT! I've touched it! It's the CD32!

Post by todd courtna » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 01:31:25

Last evening at our local Amiga User meeting, we were fortunate enough to have
a Commodore rep come around and demo the new CD32 for us!  (He was actually
going to be at the local dealer showing it off today, but they were charging
$50.00 to get in the door!  The User group smooshzed him into coming to our
meeting and showing it off!).

Well, I brought a note pad and pen, and wrote down everything I could about
the experience.

Before I start, I should note that this all happened in Regina, Sask, Canada,
so I'll be mixing US and Canadian prices among post.

The Commodore rep was Duncan Fraser (sp?), the Regional Manager, form Commodore
in Vancouver (that's the closest regional manager we have...two and a half
provinves away!)
The first thing I noticed, although I'm sure most of you already know this,
is it has a brick power supply, like the A500 (boo!).  The drive is a Sony
double speed CD-ROM drive.  A PhotoCD license is pending.
He said there are only 5 CD32's in Canada right now, and he had two of them.
One was at our meeting, and the other was at home, where his 5 year old
daughter was playing with it.
The official launch of the the CD32 in Canada will be Oct. 25, 1993, and you'll
be able do buy one by the end of this month.  The Suggested Retail Price
is $499 CDN (no suprise there).  It has an A4000-style keyboard port on the
side (called an expansion port).
He also mentioned that the MPEG add-on is $250.00 US, and is already
available in the US (don't know how true that is).
When asked how many he would have in Canada before Christmas, he said
no more than 10,000 units (better than nothing, I suppose).

The demo software:
He put in a CD, and it automatically loaded up the selection screen.  On
this particular CD (he had 4 or 5 with him), were a bunch of options, for
example AGA Robocod, AGA Pinball Dreams (or was it Fantasies), AGA Zool,
CDXL demo, etc.  He picked an option that I thought was a promotional
demo to sell the CD32 to people (I can't remember what the option was
called :-(  ).  Anyway, this demo was AMAZING!  First it showed a little man
running across the screen, with very clocky gfx, and a tiny dinosaur chasing
him.  All the while, there was music, sound fx, and voice coming off the
CD as well.  This part was obviously a "slam" on the current 16-bit
technology.  After the little man runs off the edge of the screen, the dinosaur
runs into the middle of the screen, then morphs into a huge, massive dinosaur,
with a photo-like piccy in the background, meant to be a direct comparison
between the CD32 and the 16-bit machines.  This really WOWED me.
The rolling demo continued, showing all kinds of cool effects, including a
space shot, with aliens flying over the earth (with the earth shown in
all it colorful glory), then a shot of the White House, and the aliens
flew past it.  Another particularly impressive animation was an underwater
submaring shot.  The screen showed an underwater shot, with a cliff on the
left side of the screen.  Then a submarine drives (hmm, couldn't think
of the correct word) from behind the cliff, across the front of the screen,
out the other side of the screen.  What impressed me about this was the
quality of the gfx.  If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn I was
watching a live shot of the thing!  Another was a short dogfight in a
fighter jet.  You were sitting in the*pit, with another plane
in your sights, then  a missile was letgo, and smashed into the enemy jet
in front of you.  Pretty cool.

Next he showed the CDXL demo from the disk.  This was pretty impressive.
It was about 3/4 screen "FMV".  I put FMV in quotes, because you could
tell it wasn't really video quality, but pretty darn close.  The screen
was a little chunky, but still very smooth, and in full color.  Duncan
mentioned that CDXL is capable of full-screen "FMV".

He then showed some photo-quality still pictures (nice, but didn't WOW me).
He then loaded up AGA RoboCod.  I got a chuckle out of this, never having
seen it before.  I liked the sound effects, and the way your fish/crab/whatever
it is moved.  I thought it was quite humorous to watch anyway.

Other Stuff
He said there are still two announcements to be made before Christmas,
both regarding CD32 compatible CD-ROM's for the Amiga's.  One was an internal
A4000 CD-ROM drive (he wasn't sure, perhaps this would also work in the
A2000/A3000 too), and the other was an external CD-ROM for the A1200 (that
will plug into the trapdoor...old news there).
Talking about CDTV (and Cd-i), he said Commodore lost millions on the CDTV.
There was too much stuffed inside, and the price was too high.  In comparison,
he said Philips lost mega-millions on the CD-i. :-)

He then talked aboutt he future of the Amiga.  The next generation of Amiga's
will be 64-bit, running on a risc processor of some type.  He said right now
it looks like they'll be using the HP chip.  He also mentioned that they've
had an Amiga running on an Alpha chip already!  Also, he said don't expect
the next generation Amiga's to be real compatible.  They've strived to keep
even the A1000 fully compatible till now, and it's time to let the 16-bit
technology go.  But he also stressed that the new Amiga's are "a while off
yet", to use his words.
The've dropped their MS-DOS line of computers in Europe.
They've restructured in a BIG, BIG way (after loosing lots of money last year).

More about the CD32
He said the CD32 will be a mass-merchandized machine, in a BIG, BIG way.
He's already talked, and given presentations to, all the big department,
chain stores, like K-Mart, Future Shop, Eatons, etc, etc., etc.  All are
interested in carrying the CD32.  I managed to get a question in regarding
a TV ad campaign.  He said there will not be a TV campaign, at least not
this year anyway.  He simply doesn't have the money.  The only money he's
getting right now, is enough to go around the country and giving demos,
like the on he ws giving at the local dealer.

More CD32 software
He loaded up The Paper Bag Princess, the talking book, and demoed it for a
short time.
He then loaded up a Jurassic Park demo.  It will feature full screen, CDXL
movie clips from the movie.  This wasn't too impressive.  The graphhics
were quite blocky, but moved reasonably well.  The game parts that were
shown in the demo (where you're actually playing the game), were
taken from the Nintendo version (go figure!)
He also mentioned that discs like the Grolier Encylopedia has been CD32'ized.
That is, the gfx have been updated to AGA, etc.

Hmm, that's all the noted I have written down, and I can't think of anything
else to say, so I guess I'll sign off now.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"...up the well known tributary without an adequate means of propulsion."

Author of Totally Useless Game, the most unique text adventure ever written!
Available at your local Aminet site (/pub/aminet/game/role/tugame.lha)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I've seen IT! I've touched it! It's the CD32!

Post by 'Chem Eng Student » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 04:08:33

I've seen it too... I'm on a year abroad to the UK... more specifically
Scotland, and they sell Amigas EVERYWHERE...
ok.. exaggeration, but still, I've seen more 1200's in shops here than
the sum total of all the places I've ever been to in America...

Anyway, I did get to see the CD-32.  Kinda boring looking on the
surface, but it mostly looks business like I guess.  They were playing a
demo CD, the GFX looked really nice!  But alas, I could not play with
it... no controllers.

Another shop had a SNES next to an A1200 both showing demos of Street
Fighter II.  They looked identical (big surprise).

I've seen 7 different places here all in one mall that carried A600's
and A1200, and a couple CD32's.

It's neat, eventhough none of the shops actually CARRY any SW for the
machines..

That's my 2 cents... er make that 2 pents!  (or 1.25 with the exchange
rate...)

TTFN
Gregg

Usually broadcasting from University of California at Santa Barbara, but
now at Edinburgh University!

Post by Dr Peter Kittel Germa » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 02:43:07

 >The first thing I noticed, although I'm sure most of you already know this,
 >is it has a brick power supply, like the A500 (boo!).

But there's a BIG difference: The power switch is now on the CD32, not
on the brick!

 >The rolling demo continued, showing all kinds of cool effects, including a
 >space shot, with aliens flying over the earth (with the earth shown in
 >all it colorful glory), then a shot of the White House, and the aliens
 >flew past it.  Another particularly impressive animation was an underwater
 >submaring shot.  The screen showed an underwater shot, with a cliff on the
 >left side of the screen.  Then a submarine drives (hmm, couldn't think
 >of the correct word) from behind the cliff, across the front of the screen,
 >out the other side of the screen.  What impressed me about this was the
 >quality of the gfx.  If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn I was
 >watching a live shot of the thing!

The quality has to do with the author, well-known Jim Sachs.

 >The've dropped their MS-DOS line of computers in Europe.

To settle this here: yes and no. "No" means you will be able to buy PCs
with the Commodore label on them, but they are manufactured and distri-
buted by Acer. It's a licence deal.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to \\  Only my personal opinions...

Post by David C. Nav » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 00:28:06

Quote:>Todd Courtnage writes:
> >Another particularly impressive animation was an underwater
> >submaring shot.  The screen showed an underwater shot, with a cliff on the
> >left side of the screen.  Then a submarine drives (hmm, couldn't think
> >of the correct word) from behind the cliff, across the front of the screen,
> >out the other side of the screen.  What impressed me about this was the
> >quality of the gfx.  If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn I was
> >watching a live shot of the thing!
>The quality has to do with the author, well-known Jim Sachs.

Is this a game he's working on, or just spooled graphics?
I notice he's down for his usual Defender of the Crown 2, but is he making
another game?  [SeaQuest :: the search for intelligent plots?]

I sure hope so (well, for the game, not necessarily the SeaQuest thing ;))

The CD^32 desparately needs some really high-quality graphics games to
counter the 3do and jaguar at launch around these parts.

--

"Talent develops in quiet places; character, in the full current of human life"

Post by todd courtna » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 05:26:07

> >The first thing I noticed, although I'm sure most of you already know this,
> >is it has a brick power supply, like the A500 (boo!).
>But there's a BIG difference: The power switch is now on the CD32, not
>on the brick!

Hmm, that's acceptable I guess. :-)  Having the power switch on the power
supply was pretty awkward, and would have been even moreso on the CD32.

ONe other thing I should mention.  Before I actually saw the thing "live"
I had only seen it in magazines.  My impressions from the magazines was
that it looked ugly, especially the color.  After seeing it in person,
I can say it very nice looking.

>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to \\  Only my personal opinions...

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"...up the well known tributary without an adequate means of propulsion."

Author of Totally Useless Game, the most unique text adventure ever written!
Available at your local Aminet site (/pub/aminet/game/role/tugame.lha)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I've seen IT! I've touched it! It's the CD32!

Post by David C. Nav » Mon, 18 Oct 1993 06:20:58

Quote:>>But there's a BIG difference: The power switch is now on the CD32, not
>>on the brick!

Power sucking Amiga chips strike again ;)

Quote:>that it looked ugly, especially the color.  After seeing it in person,
>I can say it very nice looking.

Yeah, it does.

--

"Talent develops in quiet places; character, in the full current of human life"

1. DUNE (Now I've completed it!)

YEAH! I finally managed to complete this game, and boy, it was -MEGA- good.

One of the best strategy/adventure games EVER! the plot is great, and
playability from floppies is really good (I now really tried to play
it from floppies for a while, and ended up playing 12+ hours, until
I completed it)

Word of warning: if you save games to floppy, YOU CAN'T TRANSFER the
save files to HD when you install the game there - I found this out hard
way, and that's one of the reasons why I couldn't stop playing from floppies.

Go out and buy this game if you thing DUNE was a great book/movies (movie
wasn't so great, but...) - you won't be disappointed.

If you happen to be stuck anywhere in this game, just drop me some mail
and I'll try to help you out.

   ____________
 _| .signature |______________________________________________________
|                                                                     |
|  -------- Jarno Kokko --------  |  Borg: Prepare to be assimilated  |

|    ---- Vantaa, Finland ----    |  Worf: Prepare to eat phasers.    |
|_____________________________________________________________________|

2. Is it possible to force SERENUM to see a device?

3. I've Seen The Future, And It's 3D0

4. Backagain/2 and Zip drives

5. I've Made Over $1'000'000 on the Net!!

6. using checkcompat to restrict connections to the daemon.

7. 'Don't read this group, search it!!!'

8. Cant download MS critical update

9. That's it!... I've had it!... LARGO IS HISTORY!

10. I've seen the A1200!!

11. MSoft_Pengo beats any game i've seen in my whole life !

12. I've seen the AMIE!

13. I've seen Dell floppy drives for $10