Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Gerry van den Berk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Bill Gates uses an Amiga 4000T at home.
What a scandal, seeing as he is such legendary man in the computer world.
Apparantly he is learning Amiga OS fast but it is all a bit confusing as
the multithread multitasking bit actually works unlike the MS variety.

Bill also cannot understand how an operating system so efficient can fit on
only four floppy disks. MS is investigating as an operating system such as
this would be great as he could sell the four floppies at the same price as
the Win95 cd and make even more profit.

Apparantly MS hit a snag when the said floppy disks failed to load on his
PC, but a PC floppy disks loaded OK on the Amiga. MS is working on a patch
right now and should be available for Win95 around the same time as Win98
is released. A Win98 patch will be available in the summer of 2001.

Bill also wants to add the "multiple floppy copy" to Win98 which he
discovered on his Amiga. He found that being able to format three floppy
disks on his Amiga at the SAME time was a great feature which would really
speed up his productivity.
Unfortunately IBM has said that such a feature would not work because the
hardware doesn't support it. MS will release a hardware patch in the form
of a A4000 motherboard and support peripherals to accomadate such a
feature.

Further admissions will be posted to this board as they materialize.
Goodbye for now,
Clockmeister.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by bme.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Bill also cannot understand how an operating system so efficient can fit on
>only four floppy disks. MS is investigating as an operating system such as
>this would be great as he could sell the four floppies at the same price as
>the Win95 cd and make even more profit.

Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD. I am
not sure whether a CD is cheaper to produce than a single floppy, but
certainly with more than one floppy, a CD is cheaper.

Bernie
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Aram Iskenderi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 11 Jan 1998 10:50:30 +1100

>Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.

Oh really?

Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
$0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
on this planet.

But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

---

Respectfully signed.

Aram Iskenderian.

Team *AMIGA*.

Post by Clockmeiste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> On 11 Jan 1998 10:50:30 +1100

> >Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.

> Oh really?

> Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
> $0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

> And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
> on this planet.

> But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

> Boo,hoo,hoo, Where is YOUR sense of humour...

> ---

> Respectfully signed.

> Aram Iskenderian.

> Team *AMIGA*.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by dcor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

They're both free in Houston.

>> On 11 Jan 1998 10:50:30 +1100

>> >Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.

>> Oh really?

>> Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>> $0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

>> And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
>> on this planet.

>> But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

>> Boo,hoo,hoo, Where is YOUR sense of humour...

>> ---

>> Respectfully signed.

>> Aram Iskenderian.

>> Team *AMIGA*.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by bme.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.
>Oh really?
>Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>$0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production? I.e. floppy disks
with stuff on them (putting the stuff on costs a fair bit of money),
compared to CDs (_NOT_ CD-Rs) that are produced from a glass master....

Such CDs cost less than about $0.50 per unit in qty 3000. The more you
need (and you were trying to make a cheap shot at MS --- how many copies
of Word does MS sell, IYHO?), the more units you spread the cost of the
glass master over.

Quote:>And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
>on this planet.

So, on one hand, we have $0.15 floppies that need to have something copied
onto them. On the other hand we have CDs that come in at way below $0.50,
given the quantities MS is dealing with.

Quote:>But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

In my world, software companies sell software on silver CDs. Are your
"originals" on gold or green CDs?

Bernie
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Aram Iskenderi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 12 Jan 1998 16:02:30 GMT

>> On 11 Jan 1998 10:50:30 +1100

>> >Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.

>> Oh really?

>> Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>> $0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

>> And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
>> on this planet.

>> But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

>> Boo,hoo,hoo, Where is YOUR sense of humour...

I'm kinda lost here, you quoted the whole message including my
signature and added your last line inside the quoted text as if I
wrote it?

I wish I knew why.

---

Respectfully signed.

Aram Iskenderian.

Team *AMIGA*.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Aram Iskenderi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 14 Jan 1998 00:28:28 -0000

>>>Of course, 4 floppies are a lot more expensive than a single CD.

>>Oh really?

>>Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>>$0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

>Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production?

Yes.

Quote:> I.e. floppy disks with stuff on them (putting the stuff on costs a fair bit of money),
>compared to CDs (_NOT_ CD-Rs) that are produced from a glass master....

CDs not CD-R?
What on earth are you trying to say?
Make it short other than you usual BS.

Quote:>Such CDs cost less than about $0.50 per unit in qty 3000. The more you
>need (and you were trying to make a cheap shot at MS --- how many copies
>of Word does MS sell, IYHO?), the more units you spread the cost of the
>glass master over.

Even worse, if you are talking in mass production the same applies, it
is a simple equation.

Quote:>>And clearly $0.85 is greater than $0.60, at least in this world, and
>>on this planet.

>So, on one hand, we have $0.15 floppies that need to have something copied
>onto them. On the other hand we have CDs that come in at way below $0.50,
>given the quantities MS is dealing with.

Try the above again in English.

Quote:>>But I'm not sure about the world that you live in. ;-)

>In my world, software companies sell software on silver CDs. Are your
>"originals" on gold or green CDs?

And what has this to do with your stupid remark about CD's being less
expensive than floppy disks/
Of course other than trying to change the subject to win a point.

---

Respectfully signed.

Aram Iskenderian.

Team *AMIGA*.

Post by Darwin Ouya » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>On 14 Jan 1998 00:28:28 -0000

>>>Oh really?

>>>Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>>>$0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

>>Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production?

>Yes.

Um. Blank CDs are $0.85?

Are you talking about using a CD writer or doing a mass production run
with stamped CDs?

I was under the impression that stamped CDs are insanely cheap to
manufacture, especialy with done in runs of tens of thousands...

Darwin Ouyang

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Aram Iskenderi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:22:59 GMT

>>On 14 Jan 1998 00:28:28 -0000

>>>Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production?

>>Yes.

>Um. Blank CDs are $0.85?

Yep, in Qty's 10+.

Quote:>Are you talking about using a CD writer or doing a mass production run
>with stamped CDs?

In that case it is certainly below that price.

Quote:>I was under the impression that stamped CDs are insanely cheap to
>manufacture, especially with done in runs of tens of thousands...

That is true, and the same applies to the floppy disks, and if you buy
them in tens of thousands, the price will go down eventually just like
the CD, CD's are in no way cheaper than floppy disk, just we as users
prefer to have software on CD doesn't make them cheaper, and that is
exactly what Bernd was trying to prove, which is wrong.

---

Respectfully signed.

Aram Iskenderian.

Team *AMIGA*.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by Aram Iskenderi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 16 Jan 1998 02:14:46 +1100

>>>Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production?

>>Yes.

>Hm --- then why are you quoting a price for a "blank CD" (actually, a CD-R),
>which can only be written in a CD-writer? Because that certainly isn't how
>CDs are mass-procduced?

Playing word games again, I see.

<Snip>

Quote:>>>Such CDs cost less than about $0.50 per unit in qty 3000. The more you
>>>need (and you were trying to make a cheap shot at MS --- how many copies
>>>of Word does MS sell, IYHO?), the more units you spread the cost of the
>>>glass master over.

>>Even worse, if you are talking in mass production the same applies, it
>>is a simple equation.

>Huh?

Went over your head?
Let's see X is cheaper than Y, you buy qty's of X and Y will that
change?
Get it now?
If not try again.

<Rambling snipped>

Quote:>Now, let's summarize: You used too low a price for floppies,

BS.

Quote:> and too high a price for CDs,

BS.

Quote:> and the "showed" that CDs are more expensive than floppies.

It is a fact, if don't see it, I can't help you here.

Quote:>I hope you understand that I am not too impressed by that argument....

Oh I'm scared.

If you don't like facts then you have a real problem there.

Quote:>>>In my world, software companies sell software on silver CDs. Are your
>>>"originals" on gold or green CDs?

>>And what has this to do with your stupid remark about CD's being less
>>expensive than floppy disks/

>Well, you were using the price of CD-Rs (green or gold) for your calculation.
>The only time you get commercial software on CD-Rs is usually when some
>"friend" "shared" it with you (need I be more explicit yet?).

Yes please do, I don't pirate software if that's what you are trying
to say, unlike you, you are a real pirate and your Amiga ROMs are
really showing it, and you even admitted that, and you have the nerve
of accusing others, you are worse than a mess.

Oh and about the w95 copy that you have.....

---

Respectfully signed.

Aram Iskenderian.

Team *AMIGA*.

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by bme.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>>Let's see, a single floppy disk is at around $0.15 here, and 4 X 0.15=
>>>$0.60, while the cheapest generic blank CD I could find here is $0.85.

>>Uhm, you are aware that we are talking mass production?
>Yes.

Hm --- then why are you quoting a price for a "blank CD" (actually, a CD-R),
which can only be written in a CD-writer? Because that certainly isn't how
CDs are mass-procduced?

Quote:>> I.e. floppy disks with stuff on them (putting the stuff on costs a
>> fair bit of money), compared to CDs (_NOT_ CD-Rs) that are produced
>> from a glass master....
>CDs not CD-R?
>What on earth are you trying to say?
>Make it short other than you usual BS.

CD --- a silver read-only, no write compact disc.
CD-R --- a gold or green, write-once CD-Recordable,
CD-RW --- a rewritable disc (don't know which colour, haven't seen any yet)

Quote:>>Such CDs cost less than about $0.50 per unit in qty 3000. The more you
>>need (and you were trying to make a cheap shot at MS --- how many copies
>>of Word does MS sell, IYHO?), the more units you spread the cost of the
>>glass master over.
>Even worse, if you are talking in mass production the same applies, it
>is a simple equation.

Huh?

Quote:>>So, on one hand, we have $0.15 floppies that need to have something copied
>>onto them. On the other hand we have CDs that come in at way below $0.50,
>>given the quantities MS is dealing with.
>Try the above again in English.

You were comparing the price of blank floppies to the price of blank CD-Rs.
As software doesn't come on blank floppies, but on non-blank ones, you
obviously missed the cost of putting the software onto them. So in your
comparison the cost you used for floppies was too low.
As software isn't distributed on CD-Rs at all (at least not legally ;-),
but rather on CDs that were produced from a glass master in a process not
at all unlike the process that produces coke bottles, the price of blank
CD-Rs is completely irrelevant. The cost of a run of 3000 CDs is less than
$1500, and most of that cost is for the glass master --- so when we are talking
30000 CDs, it would come down to about $7000 or so. In other words, the price
you used for CDs was way too high.

Now, let's summarize: You used too low a price for floppies, and too high
a price for CDs, and the "showed" that CDs are more expensive than floppies.
I hope you understand that I am not too impressed by that argument....

Quote:>>In my world, software companies sell software on silver CDs. Are your
>>"originals" on gold or green CDs?
>And what has this to do with your stupid remark about CD's being less
>expensive than floppy disks/

Well, you were using the price of CD-Rs (green or gold) for your calculation.
The only time you get commercial software on CD-Rs is usually when some
"friend" "shared" it with you (need I be more explicit yet?).

Bernie
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

Bill gates uses Amiga at home

Post by bme.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>No problem Keith, I'll make sure that he sees it.

Nope, Aram --- only Terry can do that.

My newsreader not only kills posts from people I killfiled, but also
kills all threads that might arise from killed posts. Thus, as long as
you follow up to a post by someone who I have killfiled, your post
is killed as well.