Localization Question

Post by Tony Lene » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 04:29:37

Hello all,

        I'm rather new to all this localization stuff, having recently
upgraded from WB 2.04 to WB 3.1.  What am I supposed to do with those
files that end in (I think) .ct?  I know that if I copy the files which
end in .catalog into sys:locale/catalogs/<language> my application can
be localized to non-English languages.  Do I even need those other .ct
files?  If so, where do they go and what do they do?  They seem to be
significantly larger than the .catalog files, and they're binary.

        Oh yeah, one other question: is it acceptable to stick the locale
files into a directory structure in PROGDIR:locale which mirrors the directory
structure in sys:locale?  My SYS: partition is starting to fill up, and I'd
like to start offloading unnecessary files.

Tony Leneis

--
Tony Leneis                                        __
--------------------------------------------------///-From the developer of:-

Localization Question

Post by Edmund Vermeul » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 03:03:36

'Localization Question':

 TL> What am I supposed to do with those files that end in (I think) .ct?

They are catalog translation files. They are needed in conjunction with the .cd
 (catalog description) file to build a catalog file. You only need the catalog
installed, the other files (.ct and .cd) are only needed for the translator.

 TL>  Oh yeah, one other question: is it acceptable to stick the locale files
 TL> into a directory structure in PROGDIR:locale which mirrors the
 TL> directory structure in sys:locale?  My SYS: partition is starting to
 TL> fill up, and I'd like to start offloading unnecessary files.

You could always put the locale directory on a different partition and assign
it there. E.g. 'Assign LOCALE: Work:Locale'.

Greetings, Edmund
-- Via Xenolink 1.95

Localization Question

Post by Udo K Schuerma » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 07:23:10

>'Localization Question':
> TL>  Oh yeah, one other question: is it acceptable to stick the locale files
> TL> into a directory structure in PROGDIR:locale which mirrors the
> TL> directory structure in sys:locale?  My SYS: partition is starting to
> TL> fill up, and I'd like to start offloading unnecessary files.

>You could always put the locale directory on a different partition and assign
>it there. E.g. 'Assign LOCALE: Work:Locale'.

True, and to complete the answer: yes, in an application's directory, you
can create a directory tree such as:
        Catalogs/Dansk/
        Catalos/Deutsch/
        Catalogs/Swahili/
and within these store the #?.catalog files for each language.  This makes
uninstallation as easy as drag & drop, or "delete WonderApp all" depending
on the interface you prefer.

Quote:>Greetings, Edmund

 ._.  Udo Schuermann

Localization Question

Post by Gael Marzi » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 00:32:43

Tony> Hello all,

Tony> I'm rather new to all this localization stuff, having recently
Tony> upgraded from WB 2.04 to WB 3.1.  What am I supposed to do with
Tony> those files that end in (I think) .ct?  I know that if I copy the
Tony> files which end in .catalog into sys:locale/catalogs/<language> my
Tony> application can be localized to non-English languages.  Do I even
Tony> need those other .ct files?  If so, where do they go and what do
Tony> they do?  They seem to be significantly larger than the .catalog
Tony> files, and they're binary.

.ct files are useful if you plan for creating yourself a catalog for a
language that is not provided with the application package. They are
used by utilities like catcomp or flexcat to generate catalogs.
So, if you are satisfied with the catalogs provided, you can mreove the
.ct files.

Tony> Oh yeah, one other question: is it acceptable to stick the locale
Tony> files into a directory structure in PROGDIR:locale which mirrors
Tony> the directory structure in sys:locale?  My SYS: partition is
Tony> starting to fill up, and I'd like to start offloading unnecessary
Tony> files.

Yes, you can do that, but often that will mean to install packages by
hand instead of using installer scripts provided. So if your concern is
about your SYS: partition, another solution is to duplicate standard
directories and to make a multiple assign. For example, I have a Tools:
partition where I install everything non standard so that my SYS:
partition stay clean. So, in my user-startup I have such lines:

assign LIBS: Tools:libs Sys:libs ADD
assign LIBS: Tools:locale Sys:locale ADD

And so on, you may notice that the tools: directories are put before the
SYS: ones so that installer scripts always go to Tools: first.

--
 Gael Marziou
 Hewlett Packard Grenoble Networks Division Lab         Tel: (+33) 76 62 59 95

1. Quake localisation?

Has anybody succesfully got Quake in another language then english?
I'm Dutch ( is that good??) and i have my workbench3.1 in dutch, but quake not.
I start it from workbench.
The dutch catalog is there but it isn't used.

--

2. Remember that game??

3. Local localization?

4. -> Book on Multithreading in Win 95 ??? <-

5. Automatic signature on sending mail

6. Localization help needed

7. A Question About T-States.

8. localization tool recommendations?