Amiga Programmin books in C

Post by Sebastien Boisve » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 07:43:43

Hi,

I currently looking for some books on programming C on the Amiga. I already
know how to program in C, all I need is some tutorial and reference style
books. Looking at the World's Biggest Book store BBS' on-line system, I've
seen a couple of books tittled:

Amiga ROM Reference: Libraries 3E
Amiga ROM Reference: Devices 3E
Amiga Hardware Reference Manual 3E
.... and so on

I assume these are the Rom Kernel Manuals (please correct me if I'm wrong).

- Are these the best books to get?
- Do these cover ADOS 3 _AND_ 3.1 release, or should I wait untill they get
the
  3.1 one out?
- Which books in the series should I get?

I've also read about the Bruce Smith Books "Mastering Amiga ..." series.
Are
these books just as good/better than the RKMs?

Thanks for any help.

-- Via DLG Pro v1.0

--
Usenet News Administrator

Amiga Programmin books in C

Post by Christian Stieb » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 21:03:43

> Amiga ROM Reference: Libraries 3E
> Amiga ROM Reference: Devices 3E
> Amiga Hardware Reference Manual 3E
> .... and so on
> I assume these are the Rom Kernel Manuals (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes.

Quote:> - Are these the best books to get?

Definitely. They don't cover AmigaDOS, though --- get Ralph Babels Guru Book
for that (it may be difficult to get, since it doesn't have an ISBN. The
european CATS distributor Hirsch&Wolf in Germany sells it, though).

Quote:> - Do these cover ADOS 3 _AND_ 3.1 release, or should I wait untill they get
> the 3.1 one out?

No, they are 2.04. To cope with 3.x, get the 3.1 NDK and the 2.04 RKMs.
Considering the current situation of Commodore, we may never see newer RKMs.

Quote:> - Which books in the series should I get?

RKM Libraries
Amiga User Interface Style Guide

the 3.1 NDK (this is a disk set, not a book)
if you need details about the devices: RKM devices. Not very important for
   most people.

The RKM Includes&Autodocs is the same as the includes&autodocs in the 3.1 NDK,
but the book only covers 2.04.

Quote:> I've also read about the Bruce Smith Books "Mastering Amiga ..." series.
> Are these books just as good/better than the RKMs?

Basically, the RKMs are the one definite source of information.
Every other book is either a rewrite of some RKM chapters (maybe targeted
towards a different audience (beginners)), or it tells you wrong things
(those "this is a great method to save 2 bytes!").
Therefore, it is very unlikely that the books you are referring to are
better that the RKMs. They may be worse.

Christian

--

\//    Certified Amiga Developer         PGP public key available
    "Life starts at '030, fun starts at '040, impotence starts at '86"

1. C Programmin In 2Meg?!?

        Can anyone recommend a decent C compiler that works on a standard
Amiga 1200 with 2 Meg of Ram. I have been told that newer versions of SAS/C
will not compiler large programs in 2 Meg. Thanks for any help!..

--

                             (_) Podge (_)
                       ,..oO| V  =+=+=  V |Oo..,

2. Pro 4 + MRJ2.1: "debugger nub not found"

3. technical books online (amiga books too!)

4. C++ Builder for DirectX

5. Is there anywhere that does RAM board/accelerator trade ins?

6. HP 540 intermitent printing!

7. Lemmings 2: Hard Disk Ins

8. HP Stack Error P_CONNECT_FAILED

9. req: 3640 in 3000 ins