AGA sprites & sprite editors

Post by Tim Wend » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 00:48:15

Are there any AGA sprite editors?  Have sprites changed at all under AGA?

Thanks

Tim Wendt

==================================
Hmmm....beer! - Homer
==================================

AGA sprites & sprite editors

Post by Ludvig Alexander Peders » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 20:13:33

> Are there any AGA sprite editors?  Have sprites changed at all under AGA?

On AgA you can have eight 64 pixels width sprites in 4 colors or four 64
pixels width sprites in 16 colors!

I have not seen any AGA sprite editors, but there is really no need for them
either!

You can use DPaint or Brilliance and convert the image to a sprite with a
iff-converter, like AGAIFF or simular!

Hope that was of some help to you!

AGA sprites & sprite editors

Post by Sebastian Juani » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 01:17:39

|> > Are there any AGA sprite editors?  Have sprites changed at all under AGA?
|>
|> On AgA you can have eight 64 pixels width sprites in 4 colors or four 64
|> pixels width sprites in 16 colors!
|>
|> I have not seen any AGA sprite editors, but there is really no need for them
|> either!
|>
|> You can use DPaint or Brilliance and convert the image to a sprite with a
|> iff-converter, like AGAIFF or simular!
|>
|> Hope that was of some help to you!

I've got some 64x64 16 color AGA sprites moving around in a program I am
writting.
You don't need any sprite editor, just use a paint program, prepare a page
with all the animation sequence of your sprite, and just just need to:
load the iff image in memory
use a the extended structure of the sprite to point to the pixel in the
loaded bitmap where your sprite image is and it'll automatically convert it to
a regular sprite data to be used by the sprite system.
I don't remember exactly how the whole process, but if you need a code
example email me.

|__________-- ^| \_________/ |^--___________                            \
|                 \       /                                              \
|               \  \     /  /                                             \
|        -------------^------------                                        \
|               ____________________________________________________________\

|________________\_________________________________\_______________________

AGA sprites & sprite editors

Post by Sebastian Juani » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 06:52:12

|> Are there any AGA sprite editors?  Have sprites changed at all under AGA?
|>
|> Thanks
|>
|> Tim Wendt

|> ==================================
|> Hmmm....beer! - Homer
|> ==================================

They added a function to automatically convert a bitmap brush to a sprite
image structure.
you can have 64x64 sprites.
you can choose the offset in the color table for your sprite.
You have hires resolution for sprite coordinates.
and other stuff...

AGA sprites & sprite editors

Post by David C. Gort » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 18:10:10

: Are there any AGA sprite editors?  Have sprites changed at all under AGA?

: Thanks

: Tim Wendt

: ==================================
: Hmmm....beer! - Homer
: ==================================

I think the sprites are 32 or 64 pixels wide.  I've also heard they're
8 bitplanes deep, though I don't know if they can do HAM-6 or HAM-8.
Unlike OCS sprites, AGA sprites are resolution independant (NEAT).
You can have a HIGH-RES sprite on a LOW-RES screen.  Nifty eh?
I don't know how this applies to lines, especially in old
interlace modes.

1. asynchronous sprites : sprite server?

Hi, I am writing a real-time strategy game which uses sprites to do the
attack-graphics between game units.  The problem is that the game must be very
fast to get user input and be a real-time game, but if the sprites go that
fast, they are invisible!  There are not enough vertical-redraws per second to
actually display a fast moving sprite!

If I just do:

GetSprite()
MoveSprite(x,y)
MoveSpriye(x+1,y)
 "        (x+2,y)
..etc..
FreeSprite

the sprite doesn't even show up because the whole thing occurs faster than a
vblank!  The obvious solution is Delays between each movesprite, which works
nicely, but doing this bogs down the entire game, as it must wait for the
attack-sprite routine to finish!

The question: is there a (relatively) easy way to implement asynchronous
sprites?  The sprites could be slowly moved while the rest of the game was
being processed... any tips/hints/suggestions?

Thanks,

Charles

p.s. what do you think of a second program called a "SpriteServer" with a
message port which would recieve a message containing sprite-directions and
then do them asynchronously alongside the main process?

2. linking bill reminders with MSN Bill Pay

3. FLICKERING SPRITE's, a WARNING for NULL Sprite lists!

4. help: problem with avision 260c +windows 98 twain driver wont install

5. Sprites, Blitter, DPF & DFDELAY on AGA

6. RAID reference

7. Amiga Sprite Editors

8. Geometryworks 3d v2 just grinds me to a halt

9. Sprite Editor

10. AGA Sprite sizing bug?!?

11. Sprite prob related with AGA hires mouse pointer

12. AGA sprites