A2091 problem with A500 info & update.

Post by Bugste » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 19:00:50

I thought I should start a brand new post instead of continually threading.
Plus, this post will show everything I have done and what's going on to give
you guys a better insight:

The system:
Amiga 500 rev 5 board.
BigFoot Power supply to supply power to the Amiga, CPU Fan, and Hard Drive.
VXL30/25 Accelerator with the VXL RAM32 (8MB) board with the modified
Kickstart 3.1 ROM on the 8MB board (has a socket for the kickstart on it,
and the system will not work if the Kickstart is socketed on the mainboard
of the Amiga).
Slingshot Zorro II Extender.
A2091 SCSI card with v6.6 ROMS and version 4 of the WDC chip (Yes, the card
is terminated).
3 connector 50-pin SCSI cable from A2091 internal 50 pin to the Seagate hard
drive.
Seagate Hawk 2LP 2.1GB Hard Drive.

The problem:
System will not come up when the A2091 is jumpered for autoboot.
System will come up when the A2091's autoboot jumper is disabled, but of
course will not see the hard drive then.

The settings:
A2091 set for 0K mem, all other jumpers set for off.
Seagate hard drive all possible settings I have tried.

The troubleshooting:
With it all together and the A2091 set for autoboot, the computer comes on
for about a second and then the screen goes blank and the whole thing sits
there (I've waited for up to 5 minutes at times).  Can't get into preboot
settings by holding down the two mouse buttons while powering on the system.
When the hard drive is jumpered for Enable Motor Start, it won't spin up.
Taking the jumper off that setting, it will spin up on its own.  Tried every
termination possibility on the hard drive with no success of the computer
booting.
I tried unplugging the hard drive...won't boot.  I tried unplugging the
cable...won't boot.
Disabling the A2091 autoboot jumper, makes the computer boot up fine in
OS3.1 from floppy as if the A2091 wasn't plugged in at all.  Can get into
the preboot settings when I do this and all the boards show up in the
config.  The VXL30, RAM board for the VXL30, and the A2091.
Place the autoboot jumper back on, and I'm back to not booting at all again.
The exact same thing happens to my other Amiga 500 I have, when I plug The
A2091 with the Zorro II Extender into it.  It's a standard A500 rev 5 with
1.3 Kickstart & 1MB RAM.

The Solutions:
None.
I'm getting a 540MB Conner SCSI hard drive later on in the week.  I'm going
to hook that up when I get it and see if I get any difference.

I got the A2091 from Software Hut.  I originally ordered a different SCSI
board, but something got messed up and I got the A2091 instead, which was an
upgrade from the ADSCSI board I was going to get at no extra cost (says
right on the receipt).

With all the info on one post, this should make things clearer I hope.
Am I missing something here?  What am I not doing right?  Do I have a bad
HD, A2091?  Anyone ever hear of this happening before?

So far I appreciate everything that everyone has tried to do for me here.

SCSI frustrated,
Chris.

A2091 problem with A500 info & update.

Post by Jim Wood » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:30:00

Quote:>I thought I should start a brand new post instead of continually
> [...]
>A2091 with the Zorro II Extender into it.  It's a standard A500 rev 5
>with
>1.3 Kickstart & 1MB RAM.
>The Solutions:
>None.
>I'm getting a 540MB Conner SCSI hard drive later on in the week.  I'm
>going to hook that up when I get it and see if I get any difference.
>I got the A2091 from Software Hut.  I originally ordered a different
>SCSI board, but something got messed up and I got the A2091 instead,
>which was an upgrade from the ADSCSI board I was going to get at no
>extra cost (says right on the receipt).
>With all the info on one post, this should make things clearer I
>hope. Am I missing something here?  What am I not doing right?  Do I
>have a bad HD, A2091?  Anyone ever hear of this happening before?
>So far I appreciate everything that everyone has tried to do for me

As I have mentionned to you in email, Chris,  if the 3.1 rom is ON the
VXL board you need a line in the startup-sequence to make your system
recognize the rom.  Since you are trying to set up your system and you
don't have the instruction manual OR the install disk for the VXL and
more importantly you don't have a startup-sequence because you haven't
set up the drive yet and installed the 3.1 software, then your rom
cannot be used.  Put the 3.1 rom in your 500's motherboard socket and
try to get the 2091 working without the VXL first.  Make sure you
enable the ram on the 2091 first.  If you can't get the 2091 and the
Seagate drive working, then wait for the Conner drive to arrive and
try that one.  If the 500 tries to boot and you get the "insert disk"
prompt, you are in business.  Then you insert the 3.1 Install disk and
Partition the drive etc., format the partitions, then the 500 should
boot up to Workbench 3.1  If you get to that point you will need the
VXL software, which I can provide, but I don't have the info sheet and
I can't remember how the line is written in the startup-sequence.
Hopefully someone here has or recently had a VXL and can help you with
the proper commands.  Microbiotics, the manufacturer of the VXL was
out of business before I even bought mine years ago.

Good luck

--

<tsb>Amiga 2000 040/33

A2091 problem with A500 info & update.

Post by Bugste » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:32:56

Jim, I see what you are saying, and will definitely give that a try once I
get the stuff I need to do that.  But to me, it still doesn't explain why I
get the exact same results with my other standard Amiga 500 that I have with
a 1.3 kickstart on.  With that it does the exact same thing.

> [...]

> try to get the 2091 working without the VXL first.  Make sure you
> enable the ram on the 2091 first.  If you can't get the 2091 and the
> Seagate drive working, then wait for the Conner drive to arrive and
> try that one.  If the 500 tries to boot and you get the "insert disk"
> prompt, you are in business.  Then you insert the 3.1 Install disk and
> Partition the drive etc., format the partitions, then the 500 should
> boot up to Workbench 3.1  If you get to that point you will need the
> VXL software, which I can provide, but I don't have the info sheet and
> I can't remember how the line is written in the startup-sequence.
> Hopefully someone here has or recently had a VXL and can help you with
> the proper commands.  Microbiotics, the manufacturer of the VXL was
> out of business before I even bought mine years ago.

Post by Jim Wood » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:05:25

Quote:>Jim, I see what you are saying, and will definitely give that a try
>once I get the stuff I need to do that.  But to me, it still doesn't
>explain why I get the exact same results with my other standard Amiga
>500 that I have with a 1.3 kickstart on.  With that it does the exact
>same thing.

Then it's either the 2091 or that Seagate Drive.  Let me know when you
try with the Conner drive.

--

<tsb>Amiga 2000 040/33

A2091 problem with A500 info & update.

Post by Bugste » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:10:41

Will do.  I'll let you know.

Thanks Jim.

BTW, I posted some pics up of the Amiga monster/headache on my website.
Here's a direct link of the pics if you're curious (all the pics are in one
JPG)...

http://www.fidalgo.net/~firebug/amiga.jpg

-Chris

> >Jim, I see what you are saying, and will definitely give that a try
> >once I get the stuff I need to do that.  But to me, it still doesn't
> >explain why I get the exact same results with my other standard Amiga
> >500 that I have with a 1.3 kickstart on.  With that it does the exact
> >same thing.

> Then it's either the 2091 or that Seagate Drive.  Let me know when you
> try with the Conner drive.

> --

> <tsb>Amiga 2000 040/33

1. Update: WB 1.3 & A2091

    *** For Sale ***

    A2901 HD Controller with 2megs 16-bit RAM    $175
    or with 19ms 52meg Quantum                   $350

    WB 1.3 ROM and System Software              *SOLD*

        Thanks you everyone for the overwhelming response on the ROM. I
am sure the rest of you can get ahold of one.

        Chris

--
{       Chris Hurtt        | Computer Science |        This Space           }

{  !kessener!burner!churtt |   CU - Boulder   |          PEACE!             }

2. Blue Screen

3. INFO NEEDED: Maxtor drives & A2091

4. Fax Problem

5. GVP A500+ & A500 Problem

6. 4GB boot disk in 712/80?

7. A4000 & A2091 problem...

8. postscript printing to disk or over LAN

9. GVP A500+ & A500 problem

10. A2091 & Syquest Problem

11. Problem w/A2000 & A2091?

12. Problems with A2091 & Alf2