What ever happened to PC PowerPCs?

Post by Donald Dall » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What ever happened to the PC version of PowerPC computers?

The Power Mac has been out for quite a while, but I've seen and heard
nothing about the PC version for a good 18 months.

Has Intel such a strong hold on things PC that the PC version was "canned",
as one person suggested? I dunno...

Just an inquiring mind,

Donald
--
<> How will computers be made when oil runs out?

Post by Michael Kraem » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> What ever happened to the PC version of PowerPC computers?

> The Power Mac has been out for quite a while, but I've seen and heard
> nothing about the PC version for a good 18 months.

> Has Intel such a strong hold on things PC that the PC version was "canned",
> as one person suggested? I dunno...

> Just an inquiring mind,

> Donald
> --
> <> How will computers be made when oil runs out?

Well, this is not quite true. Both IBM and Motorola have PCI/ISA systems driven
by PPC603 and 604 for roughly a year now. The problem is that they
don't show up in the mass market since there is now "light-weight" OS for them,
let alone apps.
Those boxes usually are run with Windows NT (Motorola preference) or
AIX (IBMs version of UNIX). Both can't be recommended for Joe Ordinary, I guess.
Solaris for PPC is announced, and if IBM weren't so lame, we could have
OS/2 for PPC too.

Post by Karl 'X' Nordstrom » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> What ever happened to the PC version of PowerPC computers?

>> The Power Mac has been out for quite a while, but I've seen and heard
>> nothing about the PC version for a good 18 months.

>Both IBM and Motorola have PCI/ISA systems driven by PPC603 and 604 for
>roughly a year now.
>Those boxes usually are run with Windows NT (Motorola preference) or
>AIX (IBMs version of UNIX). Both can't be recommended for Joe Ordinary,
>I guess Solaris for PPC is announced and we could have OS/2 for PPC too.

Any quarter now. :-)  OS/2 probaly had to be converted from x86 asm to c and
It was ported to the Mach micro-kernal.  They have been busy.  IBM wants you
to run mac apps as well as windows apps from the OS/2 WorkPlaceShell desk top.

There are rummers that Amiga Tech will port the AmigaDos/Intuition GUI also.

How is the joint IBM and Apple Object Oriented GUI project going?  WPS is
suppose to evolve into a Taligent OO GUI.

Will OS/2 for the PowerPC emulate the 80x86 in software like the PowerMac does?

Post by Big-Kahuna » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>What ever happened to the PC version of PowerPC computers?

>The Power Mac has been out for quite a while, but I've seen and heard
>nothing about the PC version for a good 18 months.

>Has Intel such a strong hold on things PC that the PC version was "canned",
>as one person suggested? I dunno...

IBM uses the PowerPC chips in it's RS6000 workstations. Their "PC" version
"supposedly" is out. Motorola "supposedly" has some versions out. The whole
thing looks more and more like a house of cards!

--
Owner and wielder of Occam's razor! (Committed to regula philosophandi)

     _/_/_/  _/                  _/            Chris "Big Kahuna" Rampson M.S.

 _/        _/    _/  _/_/      _/  _/_/     NO cutdowns, flames or insults
_/        _/    _/  _/        _/      _/_/ NO such thing as a stupid question!
 _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/        _/  _/_/_/   "NOT an OFFICIAL FORD spokesperson"

1. What ever happened to Spodland?

        Remember Amiga Power's design a came competition a few years
back? I recall the winner of the contest was a guy who designed a
game called Spodland.  I think that they hooked him up with The Hidden
(or was it The Silents, erm..I forget) and they were going to produce
the game on the Amiga according to his designs, layouts, etc.  It's
been around 2 years and I haven't heard anything about this game.
So...what happened to SPODLAND?
--

R.I.P. Jay Miner: June 20th 1994  Father of the 2600, Atari 8bit, Amiga
-=-VAPS Member=-=-Classic Game Collector=-=-Broke Freelance Journalist=-

2. Cannot connect to CDDB using Mp3 Workshop

3. What ever happened to Psygnosis?!

4. CONFIRMED! Jobs and NeXT to Apple!!!

5. What ever happened to the Supra 68000 accel

6. Infrared Port

7. What ever happened to the Supra 68000 accel?

8. XL5: changing a fixed cell contents from a function???

9. What ever happened to Amiga?

10. What ever happened to TBAG?

11. What ever happened to DigiFeX?

12. What ever happened to...

13. What ever happened to that game design library for C?