Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Allen Pourati » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am doing a paper on the history of words like "crash",
"bug", "boot", "hacking", "worm", "running", and other
computer jargon of the type.

If anyone could point me to a person, or a resource, a book,
a URL, or anything on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and please reply to me directly by e-mail.  I do in fact read
this group (I flame Mr. Sinclair via private e-mail twice a year...
ask him!), but I don't want net bandwidth being used for this discussion.

If you want a copy of my paper (when completed) please
e-mail me and ask, I will be happy to oblige you.

Thanks a lot,

Allen Pouratian
UC Berkeley

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by PAUL MALCO » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I am doing a paper on the history of words like "crash",
: "bug", "boot", "hacking", "worm", "running", and other
: computer jargon of the type.

I believe that "boot" comes from the expression "to pull ones self up by the
bootstraps", which of course is impossible. The process of "booting" a
computer appears to achieve this impossibility.

--

Phone   :+61 07 3407 5147                       GPO Box 1461,
Fax     :+61 07 3407 5162                       Brisbane 4001 AUSTRALIA

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Jason Kraush » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>: I am doing a paper on the history of words like "crash",
>: "bug", "boot", "hacking", "worm", "running", and other
>: computer jargon of the type.

  I was told that 'bug' comes from way back with one of the first
room-sized vacuum tube computers. There was a malfunction in
the system that they couldn't figure out, and finally discovered that a
moth had flown in and got caught somewhere.

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Terry Palfr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Kraushar) writes:

> Org.  : Illuminati Online

> >: I am doing a paper on the history of words like "crash",
> >: "bug", "boot", "hacking", "worm", "running", and other
> >: computer jargon of the type.

>   I was told that 'bug' comes from way back with one of the first
> room-sized vacuum tube computers. There was a malfunction in
> the system that they couldn't figure out, and finally discovered that a
> moth had flown in and got caught somewhere.

Point your search engine towards "hacker jargon" and get the latest
rendition of this document. Stick it in your text editor and search
it to your heart's content.

Terry

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Kenny Anderso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>: I am doing a paper on the history of words like "crash",
>>: "bug", "boot", "hacking", "worm", "running", and other
>>: computer jargon of the type.

>  I was told that 'bug' comes from way back with one of the first
>room-sized vacuum tube computers. There was a malfunction in
>the system that they couldn't figure out, and finally discovered that a
>moth had flown in and got caught somewhere.

Probably untrue. The word "bug", a shortened version of "bugbear", has
been used in English to mean a glitch or fault since the last 19th
century.

--
Kenny Anderson (Ken D/LSD)
Amiga; why compromise?

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Paul Boo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> [...stuff omitted...]

>   I was told that 'bug' comes from way back with one of the first
> room-sized vacuum tube computers. There was a malfunction in
> the system that they couldn't figure out, and finally discovered that a
> moth had flown in and got caught somewhere.

That is quite correct and the person that was working with this
wonderfully big contraption (a UNIVAC) was none other than Admiral Grace
Hopper, USN.  She's retired now, but still goes out on the speech circuit
from time to time.

Paul

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by larry ploe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>That is quite correct and the person that was working with this
>wonderfully big contraption (a UNIVAC) was none other than Admiral Grace
>Hopper, USN.  She's retired now, but still goes out on the speech circuit
>from time to time.

>Paul

And her fees are quite high, especially if compared to other speakers on a
"by word" basis ;-)

- Larry

Origin of "boot", "bug", "crash",...

Post by Don Schmelli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: > [...stuff omitted...]
: >
:
: That is quite correct and the person that was working with this
: wonderfully big contraption (a UNIVAC) was none other than Admiral Grace
: Hopper, USN.  She's retired now, but still goes out on the speech circuit
: from time to time.
:
I do belive that she died a couple of years ago.

-------------------------------------   -----------------------------
                                      | "Do you hear what I hear?
Don Schmelling   Port Angeles, WA USA |  Doors are slamming shut
    A1200/540/CD + A1230 50/50/8      |  Limit your imaginaton,
           OMNIA EXTARES              |     keep you where they must"
                                                  Metallica
-------------------------------------   -----------------------------

1. AMIGA 4000 with WARP sale"""""""""""""""""""""""""

4000 50megs ram,Warp 040/40, 120HD,320HD,340HD,2meg chip.
All mint $4200

4000 24megs ram,Warp 040/40mhz, 120HD,500HD,2meg chip ram.
Mint shape
$3500

Both systems work great and the 50 meg system has lots of software
on it.
24meg system has some.

Will include a bernoulli disk full of objects for either system.
150 meg disk with tons of objects  etc.

2. ymodem/zmodem software wanted for unix

3. Mind.forth "mind21.lha" in "Files" #43 "Programming"

4. Hover Button

5. "Last Action Hero" movie; does it "suck" ?

6. mttws121

7. Mac "find" performs far better than Unix O(n^2) "find"

8. Help for the Jetsons

9. Mac OS just sucks -- "ease of use" = "lack of freedom" ?

10. "hero" or "super hero"

11. "Night Shift", "Strike Fleet"

12. Q: Looking for "The Colony" and "Mercenary 2: Damocles"