Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Blonk » Wed, 14 May 2003 18:58:35

Hi,

After moving to the 'Dark Side' about ten years ago and getting a PC
I'm about to make amends and buy another  A1200.

When I first had an A500/A1200 there were very few games that would
install to the hard disk - countless hours of disk swapping to play
Monkey Island !  However looking around the web I find mention of
whdload, .adfs and relokick.  Is there a simple FAQ that will show me
how to get the games from floppy to the hard disk and also how to make
the older ones  work on the A1200?

Do I make .adfs form my games floppies then load to the hard disk, or
does whdload do it without that stage ?  If I already  have some
.adfs can they be used directly , rather than using the original
disks.  And yes I do admit to using an emulator to see if they could
really emulate tha Amiga - which they amazingly could.  But I used to
own about 70 original games , many of which I will be buying again for
the new machine. I aint no pirate !

Many thanks for any advice

Ian

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Tommy » Wed, 14 May 2003 19:13:59

Quote:> Hi,

> After moving to the 'Dark Side' about ten years ago and getting a PC
> I'm about to make amends and buy another  A1200.

> When I first had an A500/A1200 there were very few games that would
> install to the hard disk - countless hours of disk swapping to play
> Monkey Island !  However looking around the web I find mention of
> whdload, .adfs and relokick.  Is there a simple FAQ that will show me
> how to get the games from floppy to the hard disk and also how to make
> the older ones  work on the A1200?

> Do I make .adfs form my games floppies then load to the hard disk, or
> does whdload do it without that stage ?  If I already  have some
> .adfs can they be used directly , rather than using the original
> disks.  And yes I do admit to using an emulator to see if they could
> really emulate tha Amiga - which they amazingly could.  But I used to
> own about 70 original games , many of which I will be buying again for
> the new machine. I aint no pirate !

ADF's are basically meant for emulators. you don't need ADF's on your amiga,
other than as disk-images.

WHDload is a tool used for installing games that otherwise wasn't
hd-installable onto a harddrive. That's what I use mostly. Chances are,
you'll have all you're favourite amiga-games on the harddrive within a very
short time, if you can get a hold on working originals.

Also, The Secret of Monkey Island never had a problem to run on an
Amiga1200. You just had to change the chipset to ecs, and boot the
harddrive. Then just run Monkey right as it is. Monkey Island is
hd-installable already. WHDload fixes it so you don't need to do the ECS
chipset thingie, and it removes the password protection, so if you don't
want to have code-wheel ready everytime you play it, WHDload'll come in
handy.

ADF's are also available to download and bring back to amiga-formatted
disks, so that the amiga can read them the way they were meant to be.
www.back2roots.org have a large collection of legal downloads, as those guys
were given permission from the copyrightholder to give the games away as
ADF's. There are some hd-games there too. You won't be a pirate downloading
from there.

I recommend, get an Amiga 1200 with a 030 or 060 (aren't those the most
compatible?), at least 8mb fast-ram, harddrive (about 6 gig should be more
than enough for *-purposes), contact Bert Jahn - the creator of Whdload
and register a copy. Supporting him is supporting yourself, if you like
playing old games off your harddrive.

Tommy "StarEye" Stenberg

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Col Seddo » Wed, 14 May 2003 19:32:19

Quote:> I recommend, get an Amiga 1200 with a 030 or 060 (aren't those the most
> compatible?), at least 8mb fast-ram, harddrive (about 6 gig should be more
> than enough for *-purposes)

If memory serves, a 68060 is the least-compatible processor for earlier
games, but practically a necessity if you wanna run more recent ones. I'd
agree on the 8MB fast memory, that's always been *more* than enough for me
(but I don't play very recent games, I prefer the classics).

However, I think 6GB is overkill. I have a *lot* of very good games
installed on my Amiga, and my 720MB hard disk is half-empty. But, like I
said, I don't play recent games, so I can't really comment on those specs.

I also think that while there are a lot of WHDLoad installers out there,
they tend to be a little flaky, at least they are on my A1200/030. JOTD
seems to work better for me... I guess your mileage may vary.

Just lemme say one last thing: welcome back :)

--> COL

Post by Daniel Mille » Thu, 15 May 2003 09:33:49

> whdload, .adfs and relokick.  Is there a simple FAQ that will show me
> how to get the games from floppy to the hard disk and also how to make
> the older ones  work on the A1200?

WHDLoad uses installer screens to make it easier to install the games
from the old floppies. i don't think you'll find a FAQ on this. Read the
WHDLoad docs, it's not totally easy but it's not all that hard either.
ADFs must be written to floppy with a program such as TRANSDISK before
you can u

Quote:> Do I make .adfs form my games floppies then load to the hard disk, or
> does whdload do it without that stage ?  If I already  have some
> .adfs can they be used directly , rather than using the original
> disks.  And yes I do admit to using an emulator to see if they could
> really emulate tha Amiga - which they amazingly could.  But I used to
> own about 70 original games , many of which I will be buying again for
> the new machine. I aint no pirate !

ADFs must be written to floppy with a program such as TRANSDISK before
you can use WHDLoad to install them to the hard-drive. There's a long
list of 1300 game installs at the WHDLoad website, and some of these
point to URLs where the game ADF may be legally downloaded, so you don't
need to be a pirate to get a bunch of free games, like for instance
Alien Syndrome. Be sure to check out the incredible www.back2roots.org.

I registered WHDload because it seemed like a really good product that
gets a lot of current development, with all the newgame installs and
tweaking that they do. So if you use it successfully on a bunch of stuff
you should register too, so they keep developing it and maybe they get
all the games you ever wanted to play.

Post by John Burn » Thu, 15 May 2003 13:20:06

> > whdload, .adfs and relokick.  Is there a simple FAQ that will show me
> > how to get the games from floppy to the hard disk and also how to make
> > the older ones  work on the A1200?

[SNIP]

Quote:> ADFs must be written to floppy with a program such as TRANSDISK before you
> can use WHDLoad to install them to the hard-drive. There's a long list of
> 1300 game installs at the WHDLoad website, and some of these point to URLs
> where the game ADF may be legally downloaded, so you don't need to be a
> pirate to get a bunch of free games, like for instance Alien Syndrome. Be
> sure to check out the incredible www.back2roots.org.

Whilst all that is correct I'd also add that WHDLoad and JOTD in the main only
work with originals of the game and that most of the legally downloadable games
are cracked versions so they may not work with many of these.

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Angus Manwarin » Fri, 16 May 2003 03:05:00

On 13-May-03 10:32:19, Col Seddon said

>> I recommend, get an Amiga 1200 with a 030 or 060 (aren't those the most
>> compatible?), at least 8mb fast-ram, harddrive (about 6 gig should be more
>> than enough for *-purposes)
>If memory serves, a 68060 is the least-compatible processor for earlier
>games, but practically a necessity if you wanna run more recent ones. I'd
>agree on the 8MB fast memory, that's always been *more* than enough for me
>(but I don't play very recent games, I prefer the classics).
>However, I think 6GB is overkill. I have a *lot* of very good games
>installed on my Amiga, and my 720MB hard disk is half-empty. But, like I
>said, I don't play recent games, so I can't really comment on those specs.
>I also think that while there are a lot of WHDLoad installers out there,
>they tend to be a little flaky, at least they are on my A1200/030. JOTD
>seems to work better for me... I guess your mileage may vary.

My 060 works very well with WHDLoad, as does my 030. I have herad of
people experiencing some problems with the 040 accelerator though.

Okay, I get an occasional problem, but its rare.

JST/JOTD is great as well, although the author, the extremely talented
Jean-Fran?ois Fabre has stopped developing it now, and writes WHDLoad
patches that often no other patcher will touch.   :)

Quote:>Just lemme say one last thing: welcome back :)

Yes indeed.

                  All the best,
                        Angus Manwaring.       (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.veryComputer.com/

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Blonk » Fri, 16 May 2003 21:24:23

On 14 May 2003 05:20:06 +0100, "John Burns"

>> > whdload, .adfs and relokick.  Is there a simple FAQ that will show me
>> > how to get the games from floppy to the hard disk and also how to make
>> > the older ones  work on the A1200?

>[SNIP]

>> ADFs must be written to floppy with a program such as TRANSDISK before you
>> can use WHDLoad to install them to the hard-drive. There's a long list of
>> 1300 game installs at the WHDLoad website, and some of these point to URLs
>> where the game ADF may be legally downloaded, so you don't need to be a
>> pirate to get a bunch of free games, like for instance Alien Syndrome. Be
>> sure to check out the incredible www.back2roots.org.

>Whilst all that is correct I'd also add that WHDLoad and JOTD in the main only
>work with originals of the game and that most of the legally downloadable games
>are cracked versions so they may not work with many of these.

Thanks to you all.  Is that correct ?  If I get .adfs from back2roots
can I not install via WHDLoad?

Post by Tommy » Sat, 17 May 2003 01:32:37

> On 14 May 2003 05:20:06 +0100, "John Burns"

> >[SNIP]

> >> ADFs must be written to floppy with a program such as TRANSDISK before
you
> >> can use WHDLoad to install them to the hard-drive. There's a long list
of
> >> 1300 game installs at the WHDLoad website, and some of these point to
URLs
> >> where the game ADF may be legally downloaded, so you don't need to be a
> >> pirate to get a bunch of free games, like for instance Alien Syndrome.
Be
> >> sure to check out the incredible www.back2roots.org.

> >Whilst all that is correct I'd also add that WHDLoad and JOTD in the main
only
> >work with originals of the game and that most of the legally downloadable
games
> >are cracked versions so they may not work with many of these.

> Thanks to you all.  Is that correct ?  If I get .adfs from back2roots
> can I not install via WHDLoad?

That is correct. While the adfs from Back2roots are legal downloads, they
ARE cracked versions of the game (a lot of games had disk-based
copyprotection, so it's difficult to find a working copy of an original), so
you have to get the original to install it to WHDload. But there are som
games on Back2Roots that are already installed with WHDload, so you can get
them pre-installed in some cases.

StarEye

Old-timer coming back - needs advice on games installations

Post by Chris Youn » Mon, 19 May 2003 22:17:46

On Tue, 13 May 2003 11:32:19 +0100, Col Seddon (of comp.sys.amiga.games "fame")
wibbled on for an age:

Quote:> I also think that while there are a lot of WHDLoad installers out there,
> they tend to be a little flaky, at least they are on my A1200/030. JOTD
> seems to work better for me... I guess your mileage may vary.

I'm glad you said that, as jst works better for me too.  Fortunately the
WHDLoad emulation it provides works for the majority of the WHDLoad
installers, and there are loads of installers for jst itself - so I just
use that.

Chris

--
Unsatisfactory Software - because it is
http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk

1. Amiga Systems and Software Developers: New & Old Develpers coming back On-Line

Amiga FANS!!! GOOD NEWS!!!!  The software developers are begining to come
back On-Line in the U.S.. I've gotten 7 calls this month and several
packages of annmouncements. (Vista Pro 5.01 is on item that will be
available soon. 7 Items from just one developer.

Great News for all
--

Sincerely, with best regards.

M. K. Yoshida

TransInternational Co. Ltd
Import - Export Operations

              Import - Export Focus and Line Items;
         ___________________________________
* ElectronicsComponents: - Active, Inductive & Passive
* Pharmaceuticls:Nutrition, Minerals and Drugs
* Batteries: Automotive & Aircraft
* Rice: (Thailand)
* Sporting Equipment:: Golf Balls
* Water Treatment Equipment: Water Filtration Systems: Home & Industrial
**{ We will locate & broker any item that you have a need for!}

Trans Data Systems
Amiga Systems Operations
VAR - Sales, Service & Upgrade Configurations.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
1130 N. Kraemer Blvd.
Anaheim, Ca. 92806 U.S.A.
tel:     001 714 630 8711
FAX::001 714 630 5619

URL:http://www.webworldinc.net/transdata/  (WebSite & Catalog)

2. Binding Naming services of Orbix Server With Visibroker Client

3. Former Amiga user coming home, needs advice

4. Is there an BCC receiver.

5. OT - Re: Warning! --

6. Buster Installation Advice needed

7. Problem with a Button

8. Need to save an old old original game

9. Someone help this old timer...

10. Is amiga coming back to US?

11. AP2 - Is it coming back or not?