Wizards Of War was on C64

Post by Abdelkader Benbach » Fri, 12 Nov 1993 05:34:35

Hello, I once liked this game (Wizards Of War) on C64, it was an arcade/ref-
-lexion game allowing 2 players inside a maze, with other aliens trying to kill you :) You were also able to kill your partner (which became then your enemy).
It was very simple, but VERY playable too, especially with 2 players.
SO I was wondering if this had been ported to Amiga, or if there's a similar
product somewhere (commercial or PD/shareware ...).
Ah, and I'm not 100% sur about the title...

                                Malek.

Wizards Of War was on C64

Post by Ben Campbe » Sun, 14 Nov 1993 17:08:11

> Hello, I once liked this game (Wizards Of War) on C64, it was an arcade/ref-
> -lexion game allowing 2 players inside a maze, with other aliens trying to
> kill you :) You were also able to kill your partner (which became then your enemy).
> It was very simple, but VERY playable too, especially with 2 players.
> SO I was wondering if this had been ported to Amiga, or if there's a similar
> product somewhere (commercial or PD/shareware ...).
> Ah, and I'm not 100% sur about the title...
>                            Malek.

Check out my game 'QuickMoney' - it's floating about on Aminet somewhere I
think. It was originally based on the 'Wizard of War' (Wor?) game you
mentioned. It ended up a fair bit different, but the general concept is the
same - hoon around a maze shooting bad dudes and the other player.
I'm toying with the idea for doing a sequel sometime down the line,
so if anyone has any ideas for stuff they'd like done with it then please
feel free to send them to me.
A couple of tips:
  If you're using a DBLPAL/VGAesque workbench or one with overscan
you'll probably have to kill the view with a program like degrader.
Sorry about that, but it was my first Amiga game and I didn't know about
AGA at the time...
  Secondly, if there's a Workbench icon with it _don't use it_! The game
has no workbench startup code and will probably crash when you exit.
The Icon was added by Amiga Format. Incidentally, they never paid me
for publishing on their coverdisk either... Here's the story:
I wrote the game and then saw a bit in AF saying "Earn up to 1000 Pounds!".
"Great!" I thought, and send it off to them. I heard nothing back from them
at all, then they published it. So I sent them a fax and they sent one
back saying "The accounting people seem to have forgotten about your cheque
- please be patient while we sort it out". So I waited. And waited. No cheque.
So I started ringing them up (from here on the other side of the world).
After about seven phone calls I finally got hold of the guy in charge of the
coverdisk at the time, Pat MacDonald. He was very helpful, and told me that
they had stopped paying for programs (too many Mandelbrot Generators!).
Fine, but then why did they publish it without asking me first?
Anyway, Pat offered to send me a harddrive they had lying around as
compensation (I never got it). All this took about a year.
Everyone I spoke to was really helpful, but I have to say it is a really
unprofessional way to run a magazine. Ages ago, I had three '64 games
published in Computes Gazette - they sent me a contract with exact terms
and details for me to return. What did I get from AF? * all.
I know AF has an Internet Address (email anyway), so I hope they read
this.

I have to say that Amiga Format isn't exactly encouraging amateur
programmers - after all these are the people who are going to end
up programming commercial games in a few years...

Sorry to lay all this on you, but I've had it on my chest for quite a
while.

Thanx,

--
"16-inch rotary de*: A highly effective tool for locating problems in
                          computer software. Available for delivery in most