WHat's the best CDROM for me?

Post by Greg Tallen » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

the best CDROM for me?

>:   The only thing about this is that these choices both involve connection
>: to the IDE interface and I was wondering if that is a better solution as
>: opposed to SCSI.
>That depends on what you mean by better.

[...]

Quote:>Every body seems to be recommending Plextor SCSI Cdrom drives But when I
>went to purchase one it was 2x the cost of a different brand SCSI drive
>which is about 2x the cost of an IDE drive.
>Does anyone know why the Plextors are so much more expensive?

 Because you're usually getting the best drive on the market.

 I have bought Plextor drives for all of my systems.  On my P166 I have a
Plextor 12x drive(caddy version) and it's usually faster than most 15x IDE
drives(lower CPU usage too). On my AMD system I have an 8x, on my 2000/040 I
have a 6x, and on my 2000/020 I have a 4x drive.

 All of them are caddy versions(and not cheap either) and all of them have
worked perfectly ever since I bought them.  Also, all of them have 256k cache
(the 12x drive has 512k)on the drive, most other drives on the market only
have 128k cache.

Quote:>I was thinking of getting a Toshiba or Pioneer drive, instead.

 If you're talking SCSI, Toshiba is usually a good drive.

 If you're talking IDE, just about any name brand is good(Toshiba, Pioneer,
Mitsumi...).

Quote:>-- mark heath  | base 64 SPAMMED to avoid signature

<TSB>
Greg Tallent       |Amiga2000/040/33mhz/3.1 32 megs ram,2 gig/Toaster3.1 |

In Northern Calif. |AMD-K5-P133/48 Megs ram,2.8 Gigs, LightWave, Win95   |
Living on 750 Acres|P166/96 Megs ram,11 gig's, LightWave, Win95          |

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

WHat's the best CDROM for me?

Post by Mark Hea » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

:   The only thing about this is that these choices both involve connection
: to the IDE interface and I was wondering if that is a better solution as
: opposed to SCSI.

That depends on what you mean by better.

If better means better quality transfers then no IDE is not a better
solution.

If better means you wallet wont be as thin then yes.

--
-- mark heath   | base 64 SPAMMED to avoid signature
:wq

1. The 'best' XPK library around

Hi out there

I've just installed the xpkdisk program, and therefore I would like some advice
on the XPK libraries. I need one that's effective, but it should also be fast,
I know two opposite things :-)
At the moment I'm using BLZW.100, that's very effective, and suits my needs
for packing, but it's kinda slow :-( Any suggestions on some libraries, that
are almost as effective, and a lot faster?

Best regards
--
 __        __
|_        |         President       Fido-net: 2:230/317.0
|  ribert |__onsult Kenneth Fribert Phonenet: Data/Fax (+45) 31879836
System currently in use: Amiga 4000, 2mb chip, 4mb fast, A2065, SupraFax v32b

2. Windows Testing?

3. Best 'tree' MUI external class?

4. Saving envelop recepient in 8.10

5. best cdrom for blizzard scsi ppc boards...

6. XMS/EMS in C(++)?

7. Best Amiga article I've read in a very long time..

8. XML-ify lecture and course notes

9. People don't buy computers because they are BEST!

10. People don't but computers because they are BEST!

11. Req: Lazarus' Amiga Decade CDROM