GVP I/O Extender Programming Info

Post by Jacob Elli » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 07:01:05

I thought this might be of interest to everyone who is interested in
programming their I/O Extender directly.

This information comes directly from GVP technical support.

                                   * * *

                              DEVELOPER INFO

Many users have expressed an interest in developing I/O Extender drivers
for specific applications.  While GVP Technical Support does not have
access to any developer information, this is the total of the information
we have been able to gather.  This information is being provided as a
service to our users.  It is not supported by GVP and is provided "AS IS".
We hope this is sufficient for programming to the board.

THE I/O EXTENDER USES THE STARTECH ST16C552 CHIP.  INFORMATION ON THIS CHIP
SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FROM YOUR LIBRARY OR BY CONTACTING STARTECH DIRECTLY.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT DOES NOT HAVE A NUMBER FOR STARTECH.  THE ORDER NUMBER IS
ST16C552CJ68.

THE GVPIO DRIVER FOLLOWS THE SAME COMMAND SET AS THE STANDARD AMIGA SERIAL
AND PARALLEL DRIVERS.  IF YOUR PROGRAM MAKES CALLS TO THE DRIVER, YOU
SHOULD ONLY HAVE TO SUBSTITUTE THE GVP DEVICE NAME FOR THE AMIGA DEVICE
NAME (I.E.  GS0:  FOR SER:).

THE FOLLOWING IS SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON THE I/O EXTENDER BOARD:

MEMORY MAP:

   BOARD ADDRESS = $Ex0000

   SERIAL PORT 0 REGISTERS = $Ex0160 - $Ex016E

   SERIAL PORT 1 REGISTERS = $Ex0260 - $Ex026E

   PARALLEL PORT REGISTERS = $Ex0360 - $Ex0364

   *ON-BOARD CONTROL REGISTER (READ AND WRITE) = $EX0460

CONTROL REGISTER BREAKDOWN:

   BIT

   (0)** - PORT 0 MIDI SELECT => 0 = DRIVERS, 1 = MIDI

   (1)** - PORT 1 MIDI SELECT

   (2)   - PORT 0 DRIVER SELECT => 0 = RS232, 1 = OPTION HEADER

   (3)   - PORT 1 DRIVER SELECT

   (4)   - INTERRUPT SELECT => 0 = INT2, 1 = INT6

   (5)   - ROM BANK SELECT => 0 = LOW 32K BANK, 1 = HIGH 32K BANK

   (6)   - PORT 0 HANDSHAKE => 0 = RTSx OR RXRDYx, 1 = RTSx ONLY

   (7)   - PORT 1 HANDSHAKE

*  THE CONTROL REGISTER POWERS UP IN AN UNKNOWN STATE AND MUST BE SET
   BEFORE USING.

** BITS 0 AND 1 ARE HIGHER PRIORITY THAN BITS 2 AND 3. THEREFORE, WHEN
   IN MIDI MODE, DRIVER SELECTION IS "DON'T CARE".

GVP I/O Extender Programming Info

Post by Jacob Elli » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 02:45:15

(I had a minor problem posting this the first time, and it didn't seem to
go out.  So if you've seen this already you can ignore it!  :)

[...]

1. GVP IO Extender & GVP 040 Accelerator

Hi,

Does anyone out there have a GVP 33MHz 040 accelerator AND a GVP
I/O Extender in their A2K?  I'm having some difficulties in using
all of the physical ports. Maybe you have encountered the same....

I added the an I/O Extender (IOE) to my system fairly recently to
provide another pair of serial ports (and a parallel port).  The
IOE has one DB9 serial and one DB25 parallel port on the rear
metal spine of the card, and another DB9 on a separate metal slot
cover.  This connects to the main board with a ribbon cable.

My accelerator also has one DB9 serial port and one DB25 parallel
port.

The problem is that I have 3 physical DB9 ports, yet it seems I
can only use two of them:

1) The one on the accelerator as gvpser.device Unit 0.
2) The one on the separate slot cover as gvpser.device Unit 2.

I cannot access the serial port located on the IOE card itself.
It's almost as if it doesn't even exist.

GVPserial, the port preferences program indicates the following:

Unit 0  "not installed"
Unit 1  "I/O Extender #1 port 0"
Unit 2  "I/O Extender #1 port 1"
Units 3-11 "not installed"

Unit 0 is the port on the accelerator, and also the port I have
my modem connected to.   It seems to work just fine.  Unit 2 is
on the separate slot cover and is currently connected to a PeeSee
with a null-modem cable.

According to the documentation:

     "If your system includes a GVP A2000 G-Force '040 accelerator,
      it's serial port will always be assigned as Unit 0.  Unit 1
      is not used since the G-Force board can have only one serial
      port.  In this case, the first port on your IOExtender board
      will become Unit 2 and its second port (if installed) will
      be Unit 3.  If there are other IOExtender boards present, you
      can select any serial port from any one of these boards, simply
      by cycling through the Unit ID numbers...."

This reasoning doesn't match what I have found in my system.  Has
anyone else found similar problems?  What did you do to correct them?

Any info appreciated....

Rick

|ECS B2000, OS3.1, GVP 33MHz 68040-32MB GuruROM, A1010, SS 3.7 Reg|
|  Dual 329Mb Maxtors, ??Mb ZIP, 120Mb Wangtek, 33.6K ZOOM V.34   |
       ...Software sings and Hardware hears....         The Church

2. Ineed a dummy terminal

3. Please post more info: AGA Extender.

4. Always IN2000, GA+SP, NEC CDR-36

5. need info on keyboard/mouse extenders for Amiga 1000

6. help: AHA2940U2W and IBM DDRS-39130D won't copy files larger > 400kB

7. Question: Alfa Data MultiFace III or GVP I/O Extender

8. How to do software engineering in practice?

9. GVP I/O Extender Problems....

10. GVP I/O Extender problems...

11. GVP IO-Extender & Buster -11

12. Install disks for GVP I/O Extender Needed.