What can you do with a A1000?

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by David Murra » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00



I have an Amiga 1000 with built-in kickstart and 2.5 MB of RAM and a 68010
CPU. What can I do with it?  I bought a ROM upgrade chip from this one guy
one time but after opening it up we couldn't find where it goes.  So I
can't upgrade my kickstart. I'd like to put a hard-drive on/in it.  How
would I do this?  Is there any way to mount an internal IDE or SCSI
hard-drive?  I didn't notice any mounting brackets, but I could forge my
own if I knew a way to connect it internally.
        Second question.. Is there a program for the PC that will
read/write/format Amiga disks?  I don't presently have any way to copy
files from my PC to my Amiga except with a serial cable.  
--DavidM.

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Eelke Blo » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi David,


> I have an Amiga 1000 with built-in kickstart and 2.5 MB of RAM and a 68010
> CPU. What can I do with it?  

I'm afraid you can't do much with an A1000 these days. It can be used
for a hobby (like one would use a bare C64), but not much more. It's
quite hard to get an A1000 up to todays standards, and even if you can
get the hardware to do so, it would probably be more expensive then
buying a more recent Amiga (or even a new one).

Quote:> I bought a ROM upgrade chip from this one guy
> one time but after opening it up we couldn't find where it goes.  So I
> can't upgrade my kickstart.

I'm not sure whether the A1000 can take a ROM-chip. You say it's got one
built in. In that case, just look for a chip that looks the same as the
chip you got. (I don't know any part numbers). There is one catch. If
you bought ROM's for an A1200 or A4000, they're useless. These machines
both have two ROM's, whereas older Amiga's have only one ROM.

Quote:> I'd like to put a hard-drive on/in it.  How
> would I do this?  Is there any way to mount an internal IDE or SCSI
> hard-drive?  I didn't notice any mounting brackets, but I could forge my
> own if I knew a way to connect it internally.

In the time the A1000 was launched, a HD was concidered a big luxury.
You can't equip an A1000 with a HD just like that. It doesn't have
a built-in controller. Maybe you can get a HD-controller for the A1000,
but I think you'll have to look hard.

Quote:>         Second question.. Is there a program for the PC that will
> read/write/format Amiga disks?  I don't presently have any way to copy
> files from my PC to my Amiga except with a serial cable.

No. PC's can not read Amiga disks. Not because of lack of software, but
because of lack of hardware. Amiga's, however, can read PC disks. There
are special programs to do this. CrossDOS is mostly used, which no doubt
has something to do with it coming with the more recent versions of the
AmigaOS :) If you want to exchange files and the machines are close
together, you could also concider a serial link.

Cheers,

Eelke
--
Eelke Blok, student Electrical Engineering, member of ATO

Amiga-page: http://wwwedu.cs.utwente.nl/~genderen/blok/amiga
"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!"
           -- Elwood Blues

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Paul Zage » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>I have an Amiga 1000 with built-in kickstart and 2.5 MB of RAM and a 68010

The DataFlyer controller works nicely with the A1000. YOu can get one for the
A500, add your own pull-up resistor and figure out a case to surround it. It
mounts on the side port.

I don't know where your ROM chip is. Mine sits quite prominently on the
Rejuvenator board. Maybe your's is on one of ICD's little boards by the CPU,
or one of the hardware hacks??

Even with a hard drive and new ROM, with a 68010, you're really limited these
days. Even with a 68030 and 17 megs of fast ram, my 1000 is pretty slow with
Pagestream, ImageFX, etc.

Quote:>       Second question.. Is there a program for the PC that will
>read/write/format Amiga disks?  I don't presently have any way to copy
>files from my PC to my Amiga except with a serial cable.

Nope. Nothing there. You have to use Cross DOS to make the AMiga read PC
format.

Paul Zager                           *Team AMIGA*
Proud owner of Frankenthousand, the monster A1000

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Hermann Pleteit » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> Hi David,


> > I have an Amiga 1000 with built-in kickstart and 2.5 MB of RAM and a 68010
> > CPU. What can I do with it?
> I'm afraid you can't do much with an A1000 these days. It can be used
> for a hobby (like one would use a bare C64), but not much more. It's
> quite hard to get an A1000 up to todays standards, and even if you can
> get the hardware to do so, it would probably be more expensive then
> buying a more recent Amiga (or even a new one).

> > I bought a ROM upgrade chip from this one guy
> > one time but after opening it up we couldn't find where it goes.  So I
> > can't upgrade my kickstart.

> I'm not sure whether the A1000 can take a ROM-chip. You say it's got one
> built in. In that case, just look for a chip that looks the same as the
> chip you got.

The A1000 has no kickstart-ROM. It has just a small ROM which is able to
read a kickstart disk which then is loaded into a so called WROM (write
once memory, just normal RAM which is protected by a special flag i
think). They have done this because when the first A1000s were shipped
(a that time they were just callad Amiga, without any number) the
kickstart development was'nt very far. By acting this way it was much
easier to work with a new kickstart, just insert a new disk. (I have
still one Amiga (1000) with which i had got a kickstart1.1 disk).
So if you want to a new kickstart, its a bit difficult because the new
3.x kickstarts are too big for this WROM. I think I've heard about a
workaround (is this the right word; english is not my native language)
for this. But i don't remember exactly. Perhaps somebody else does.

Hermann Pleteit

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Mike Leavit » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


;> The A1000 has no kickstart-ROM. It has just a small ROM which is able to
;> read a kickstart disk which then is loaded into a so called WROM (write
;> once memory, just normal RAM which is protected by a special flag i
;> think). They have done this because when the first A1000s were shipped
;> (a that time they were just callad Amiga, without any number) the
;> kickstart development was'nt very far. By acting this way it was much
;> easier to work with a new kickstart, just insert a new disk. (I have
;> still one Amiga (1000) with which i had got a kickstart1.1 disk).
;> So if you want to a new kickstart, its a bit difficult because the new
;> 3.x kickstarts are too big for this WROM. I think I've heard about a
;> workaround (is this the right word; english is not my native language)
;> for this. But i don't remember exactly. Perhaps somebody else does.
;>
;> Hermann Pleteit

This is correct, but he indicates he has a rom chip in it.  Such
adaptors exist, and I've even heard of A1000's with them actually
running 3.1 dos.  The real problem is getting any more than 512k of
chip ram.  There are hacks for this (to go to 1 meg), but I've never
talked to anyone or seen anyone in the newsgroups who has done this
successfully.  This would be a major problem in WebBrowsing.  A500
peripherals will work if put in facing backwards--not up-side-down,
for fast ram and hard-disks.  My old a1000 had 2megs fast ram, but
only 512k chip ram.

--

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Paul Zage » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Mike,

Quote:>This is correct, but he indicates he has a rom chip in it.  Such
>adaptors exist, and I've even heard of A1000's with them actually
>running 3.1 dos.

Yup. Mine is running 3.1. Anyone who put a Rejuvneator in got a ROM socket.
ICD also made an ADRom, plus there were hacks to put the ROM in.

Quote:>The real problem is getting any more than 512k of
>chip ram.  There are hacks for this (to go to 1 meg), but I've never
>talked to anyone or seen anyone in the newsgroups who has done this
>successfully.  This would be a major problem in WebBrowsing.  A500
>peripherals will work if put in facing backwards--not up-side-down,
>for fast ram and hard-disks.  My old a1000 had 2megs fast ram, but
>only 512k chip ram.

My A1000 (in use everyday) has 2 megs of chip ram and 17 fast. I think the
Revuenator was the only way to get the 2 megs of chip (except maybe the even
shorter-lived Phoenix replacement motherboard.

Paul Zager                              *Team AMIGA*
Proud owner of Frankenthousand,    the monster A1000
____________________________________________________

'030, 2 meg chip/17megfast, OS3.1/1.3, 3 hard drives
4xSCSI CD-ROM, flicker-free 17"display

 
 
 

What can you do with a A1000?

Post by Antiwo » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>    Second question.. Is there a program for the PC that will
>read/write/format Amiga disks?  I don't presently have any way to copy
>files from my PC to my Amiga except with a serial cable.  
>--DavidM.

There is a program called PCPatch out there that will let your
Amiga read 720K IBM floppies.  I used to use that when I
had my A500.  It should be available on Aminet.

Rob Lent

 
 
 

1. <dos.h> vs. <dos/dos.h>

What is the correct placement for the cbm include file dos.h?
I certainly feel that dos/dos.h is the most logical,
but for some reason I have seen two times lately that
someone wants to place dos.h in include: instead of include:dos/

The reason I'm asking right now is because I'm one of the persons
working on the Bars'n'Pipes source, and suddenly another
person has changed all <dos/dos.h> to <dos.h> in all files
defined, and thats a lot of files. I would like to have
a good argument why he should change all <dos.h> back to
<dos/dos.h>. Anyone?

--

2. S: Sony CDU77e CD-ROM driver for OS/2

3. Cash in your pop cans, and buy Commodore!

4. Twisted Pair <-> Coax Ether Converter

5. Oil cans in Innocent Until Caught

6. Converting Interleaf printer to PostScript

7. Opera browser project canned

8. OpalVision Graphics Card FS

9. Has anyone done a 2.04 ROM Hack on an A1000?

10. How to move files from dos-filesystem to amiga-dos ????

11. dos-2-dos fixed! & thanks

12. dos-2-dos Amigados/msdos- HELP