Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Post by The Laughing Proph » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 11:45:33

Well, I have had powermonger for a while now. And one of my friends just
got what appears to be the final victory screen - a little thing about
"Now at last I rule the world." He has taken less than half of the world.
Apparently, you see, when you take the lower right hand sector of the world,
you have won. No, it's not even bothering to keep track of whether or not
you've taken all of them.

However, the bugs we have noted are:
1] Apparently men periodically turn brown and stop moving. After this has
happened, they seem not to exist... They also sometimes have sheep with
them. ;-) (And, of course, the same thing happens to the sheep.)

2] On the last world, every so often your food will drop suddenly to zero,
and there will be a blue flash on the title bar, after which many of your
men will desert. And, immediately after this, you get some large quantity
of your food back - or possibly more, leading to...

3] Periodically, you somehow end up with 27,000 or more food - with no clear
indication of where the last, oh, say, 25,000 of that came from. This peaks
around 32,000.

All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
to write a rather * letter to EOA...

ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
for?

--SeebS--
--
Peter Seebach - The Laughing Prophet     |     |        Anonymous Posting Here!

doesn't speak for me, and Marcel Marceau |     | "Forgive them Father, for they
speaks for no one.                       |     |        do not get the joke..."

Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Post by Jamie Badm » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 18:50:38

By all means write to EOA about the bugs BUT I wouldn't mention the fact
that the world ends when you reach the bottom right of the world map
even though you haven't taken all the "regions" since this is NOT a
bug; if you read the manual this becomes apparent; the objective is
stated as being simply to reach the bottom right hand side.

Apparently there are some unusual effects to be found in the game; did
you come across anything unusual (not bugs... just peculiarities
that are coded in)... apparently something happens if you manage to
wipe out all the trees in a land... also I think I remember reading that
it's possible to win the top right world solely from within the water!

                                Jamie.

Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Post by F. Sullivan Seg » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 04:54:52

Quote:>All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
>and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
>to write a rather * letter to EOA...

>ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
>for?

EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
running through the geometric shapes.

--
                           -F. Sullivan Segall
 _

Post by David Zuckerm » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 10:48:16

Quote:>>All in all, I would have to say that this game is rather buggy. Between these
>>and the amount of disk-gronking it does, I'm probably going to be compelled
>>to write a rather * letter to EOA...

>>ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
>>for?

>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>running through the geometric shapes.
>Funny,I haven't had any of those problems on my copy.Also,whendid they decide
>to call themselves EOA?I still remember their name as ECA (EleCtronic Arts).
>Later.
>KLAZAR

Actually, I've always referred to them as EA.  Nice and simple, and IT MAKES
SENSE (none of this "C" or "O" stuff in the center of the acronym).

If you remember waaay back to EA's first Amiga ad (the 2 page spread
annoucing why Trip Hawkins (snicker) & company were committed (hehe) to the
Amiga), there were three blocks on Trip's desk: a cube, a sphere, and a
pyramid -- further proof of the 3 shapes mentioned above used in the
company's name.  In fact, on some European EA boxes that I've seen, the
letters E, O, and A in ELECTRONIC ARTS are replaced by a square, circle,
and triangle.  Thus the EOA moniker.

Personally, though, any references to Electronic Arts as ECA or EOA really
bugs me.  I don't know why, except possibly that it's quite illogical without
knowledge of the company's logo, but it does.  There.  I got it off my chest.
I feel lots better now. :)

>--
>                           -F. Sullivan Segall
> _
>/V\  E-Credibility:  (n -- ME) The unguaranteed likelyhood that
> '   the electronic mail you are reading is genuine rather than
>someone's made up crap.
>Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!fletcher or

-Dave
--
David Zuckerman          | "There's nothing wrong with my sense | Exercise   //

Univ of Southern CA      |  serviced every fortnight."          | taste...\X/
Floyd the Droid Fan Club |           - Zaphod Beeblebrox        | Go Amiga...

Post by K5.. » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 06:05:14

Funny,I haven't had any of those problems on my copy.Also,whendid they decide
to call themselves EOA?I still remember their name as ECA (EleCtronic Arts).
Later.
KLAZAR

Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Post by Thaddeus P. Flory » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 18:48:41

Quote:>[...]
>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>running through the geometric shapes.

Hmmm, is that anything like pounding a round peg into a square hole using
the claw-end of a hammer?  :-)

Post by Peter Kittel GERMA » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 19:37:05

>>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>>running through the geometric shapes.

>If you remember waaay back to EA's first Amiga ad (the 2 page spread
>annoucing why Trip Hawkins (snicker) & company were committed (hehe) to the
>Amiga), there were three blocks on Trip's desk: a cube, a sphere, and a
>pyramid -- further proof of the 3 shapes mentioned above used in the
>company's name.

But it's funny that also other companies are using this cube/sphere/pyramid
logo:
1. The TV station RTL here uses it in a 3D animation to introduce its
   commercials.
2. When they had the roll-out of the latest Mercedes (or was it BMW?)
   car, they had decorated the stage with these triplet symbol.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Major PowerMonger Bugs. (I mean, *MAJOR*)...

Post by Jakob G}rdst » Sat, 15 Jun 1991 08:59:35

Quote:>>ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
>>for?

>EOA looks slightly like the Electronic Arts Logo (Square Circle Triangle).
>This is especially true of versions of the Logo that have horizontal lines
>running through the geometric shapes.

We (I?) know that; as I see it, the geometric shapes are supposed
to look like the letters E, O and A. So the problem should(?) be
what EOA stands for, as Electronic Onion Arts
                                   Oracle
                                   Opressment
                                   Original
                                   Omnipotent
                                   Odd
                                   Ollover
                                   Odomontial
                                                sound stupid.
So should E and A stand for other things than Electronic / Arts,
or has anyone got a good O word?
Like Ontertainment

--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

Post by Laurana Bail » Sun, 16 Jun 1991 13:06:42

| ps: does anyone know why they often use "EOA"? Like, what does the 'O' stand
| for?

I am guilty of using EOA when it is more proper to say EA. The initals
are EA because the name is Electronic Arts. The O, or more properly
addressed as the Sphere, in their logo has little to do with their
name. It's supposed to represent the Nerf Ball that they used to play
with in the offices. (True story)

Laurana

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

1. Guardian - MAJOR bugs!!??

   I bought guardian last week and tried it for the first time at the
weekend on my A1200/030 + 4 megs.

BOOM! KERRRASH! POW!  I've never seen a commercially released game as
full of bugs!

   If I enter 'high detail' mode the damn thing crashes without fail after
maybe five minutes play.  Medium detail is a bit better but still very unstable
and only low detail offers the chance of more than about 10 minutes of crash
free gameplay....

   If I install the thing to hard disk the bugger crashes EVERY time after
a game when I enter my initials into the high score!

   Just what the f**K is going on?  Have I been unlucky to get an early copy
or something?  Is there an update which fixes them?  For all intents and
purposes the game is unplayable on my system.

   I'll really think twice before buying another Acid game.

gavan

--

2. too to discover total host permissions from ACL's? on pix or ios?

3. Frontier - major bug

4. CFP: KES2002 Special Session : "Classification in Knowledge-Based Systems"

5. AD3D major bug?

6. Burning CDs with HP-UX

7. OS3.1 CGFonts A2000/030 MAJOR BUG FOUND!!!!

8. Is this newsgroup archived anywhere?

9. Major Bug in AFS Found!!!

10. Frontier - major bug

11. MAJOR BUG IN ALL HP DESKJET 500 & 500Cs !!!!

12. HELP : CPR major bugs!