root missing (on a hard-drive)!!

Post by Christian Emre Lys » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 13:00:35

Hmmm.

After using a scanner my hard-disk isn't anymore a DOS drive.
(The scanner is connected in the same slot as with my hard-disk
,to the A500 slot. I think that the scanner have interference with
my hard-disk while saving)

DPU tell me that there can't be found any root block,
and when I take a look, I can see that the root block is
a mess.

The hash table is gone, everything is gone, even the
checksum!! But anything else, than the root block, (I think!)
is in perfectly fine.

I could build the root block by myself (but it will takes _some_
time and research), or I could you some disk utils.

I got DiskSalvII, and now I wants to know if I have to use
Un-Format or Repair?

Please help, and with some fast response (that means both, e-mail
and a follow up)

Thanks
--
/Christian Emre Lysel

root missing (on a hard-drive)!!

Post by Christian Emre Lys » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 13:18:34

Hmmm. Sorry if this got posted two time :-(

[...]

Name:         Christian Emre Lysel

root missing (on a hard-drive)!!

Post by DAVID BALAZ » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 22:21:36

Quote:> Hmmm.

> After using a scanner my hard-disk isn't anymore a DOS drive.
> (The scanner is connected in the same slot as with my hard-disk
> ,to the A500 slot. I think that the scanner have interference with
> my hard-disk while saving)

> DPU tell me that there can't be found any root block,
> and when I take a look, I can see that the root block is
> a mess.

> The hash table is gone, everything is gone, even the
> checksum!! But anything else, than the root block, (I think!)
> is in perfectly fine.

> I could build the root block by myself (but it will takes _some_
> time and research), or I could you some disk utils.

> I got DiskSalvII, and now I wants to know if I have to use
> Un-Format or Repair?

With Salvage U can rescue 'all' the files.

I'm not sure about Repair/Un-Format.
If U use them don't forget to request a log file (project/logfile menu).

U can see there if any files were killed ( look for word 'KILL' )

This file can be pretty large ... 1Mbyte with my 240 Mb partition ...

> Please help, and with some fast response (that means both, e-mail
> and a follow up)

> Thanks
> --
> /Christian Emre Lysel

Amiga 1200                                                  .
Quantum LPS340A                           Slovenija, moja dezela.

root missing (on a hard-drive)!!

Post by Dr. Peter Kitt » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 06:30:33

Quote:

>After using a scanner my hard-disk isn't anymore a DOS drive.

>DPU tell me that there can't be found any root block,
>and when I take a look,

So you obviously know how to use a disk monitor.

Quote:>I could build the root block by myself (but it will takes _some_
>time and research), or I could you some disk utils.

There's another possibility: I once had the same problem, but had
the right idea and scanned the whole disk for a copy of the root
block and I did find it in some weird place. It was nearly perfect.
I fixed the last entries by hand, and after that the drive worked
again flawlessly. The damaging effect was obviously that a pointer
was trashed that held the block number for the root, so it was
written to the wrong place. I can't guess how frequent this sort
of crash is compared to others.

--
Best Regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       //

Currently employed at "Commodore Konkursverwaltung Hembach"

1. Root Block in Hard-disk

I have a 100M hard disk on my A590 unit, and it has 3 partitions.
Problem is, when using FixDisk on two on them in directory mode,
it responds "Could not find a valid Root block". Other HD utilities
are even less civilized, and simply stop running when I ask them
to work on these partitions.
I even formatted the smallest of these partitions and then restored
it from backup, but it didn't help.
What is the problem?

        ET

2. Full Metal Planet - Don't be mislead!

3. UK: HARD DRIVE 2.5gb hard drive IDE..and a LOT more amiga stuff

4. VMSINSTAL Manual??

5. Bad hard drive for Mac=good hard drive for Amiga?

6. Screen updating erratic after *screensave via dma

7. Hard-drive Utilities

8. Tiny F/W Rules

9. large hard-drive

10. Hard-Drive