A2091 'upgrade'

Post by PND CORLE » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 01:49:39

Is it possible to solder a connector to my A2091 to allow me to use ST506 drives.
I note that xt.device is in memory, so I reckon the hardware may be there. I
currently have 6.6 ROMS.

Also, is there any way I can get an image of a newer ROM for the A2091?
Either an image file to EPROM, or an address to order ROMS from.
A newer ROM /may/ fix the DMA problems I have...

Thanks in advance

A2091 'upgrade'

Post by Erik Quackenbu » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 00:28:04

Quote:>Is it possible to solder a connector to my A2091 to allow me to use ST506 drives.
>I note that xt.device is in memory, so I reckon the hardware may be there. I
>currently have 6.6 ROMS.

>Also, is there any way I can get an image of a newer ROM for the A2091?
>Either an image file to EPROM, or an address to order ROMS from.
>A newer ROM /may/ fix the DMA problems I have...

>Thanks in advance

The "xt.device" is there to support IDE hard drives. The 2091 does not
have an ST-506 interface on it; you need a 2090 for that.

| Erik Quackenbush      | "No comment..."     | Systems Engineer      |

A2091 'upgrade'

Post by Oliver Kno » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 00:59:46

>Is it possible to solder a connector to my A2091 to allow me to use ST506 drives.

No. The connector is for XT-IDE drives, not for ST506 drives.

Quote:>I note that xt.device is in memory, so I reckon the hardware may be there. I
>currently have 6.6 ROMS.

XT-IDE drives *should* work with the A2091 if you solder in the
missing connector, but I did not hear someone actually tried this.
It makes more sense to get a SCSI drive anyway.

The latest ROM release is 7.0.

Quote:>Also, is there any way I can get an image of a newer ROM for the A2091?

Try Hirsch & Wolf, the address is in the FAQ.

Quote:>A newer ROM /may/ fix the DMA problems I have...

What kind of DMA problems? If you want to use the A2091
in an A4000, the 7.0 ROMs should help.