Microbotics VXL-30 and 16 bit RAM

Post by Tony Poo » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 11:39:14

A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
limited address space (his words, not mine).

Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
motherboard).

Thanks for any help,

Tony

Post by Russell A Howa » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 11:49:39

>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>limited address space (his words, not mine).

>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>motherboard).

>Thanks for any help,

>Tony

>--

I recently purchaced a 386 bridgeboard and am having a problem hooking up the
shared Amiga/IBM drive.  I have it connected as per the instructions in the
manual and all of the jumpers are set correctly (I think).  Anyway, now my
internal Amy drive will read *only* IBM disks (it won't recognize valid
AmigaDOS disks.  If I have Flipper on AUTO mode, the icon for the disk
disappears.  If I put it in manual mode, the default icon for a non AmigaDOS
disk comes up. (DF0:???? appears under the icon).  Has anyone else had this
problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S.  Another thing I am puzzled about deals with the Autoboot Virtual Drive
that I have set up for the bridgeboard on my 100 MEG Quantum HD.  Every so
often, transfers (reads and writes) become extremely slowwwww (slower even than
a floppy drive!).  Does this have something to do with the Janus software?
I would be interested in anyone's comments about this also.

Thanks.
--
Russ Howard

Russ Howard

Post by Russell A Howa » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 12:09:44

[...]

Post by James D. Robbi » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 15:20:46

Quote:>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.
>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>limited address space (his words, not mine).
>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>motherboard).

Yes, you can use the supraram and the 8 megs on the VXL at the same time.
I don't think your friend heard right.  I called Microbotics and had the
same question about using 8 megs of each.  They said it would work fine,
but you couldn't use the 8 megs of 32 bit ram as 16 bit ram in 68000 mode if
you already had 8 megs of fast ram.  You can have up to 16 megs of fast ram
(half 32bit/half 16bit) in 68030 mode.

Ask him to play with the map high/map low jumper on his VXL32-bit ram card.
Tell him to set it so it is mapped low.  If it is mapped high, the system
won't see it unless you run the SETVXL software to have the system recognize
it.  I keep mine maped low and it works fine with my SupraRam 500 RX.
Hope this helps.

--
       ///\    You know it rules!!         |          Jim Robbins Jr.

  \\\///----\   /\  /\    |   /  _  /\     |          Ames, Iowa, USA
   \XX/      \ /  \/  \ __|__ \__/ /--\    |    515-292-4886 or 515-292-3271

Post by LaMonte Ko » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 05:31:41

>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>limited address space (his words, not mine).

>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>motherboard).

    If I remember correctly, the VXL RAM*32 board memory is AutoConfig in
nature, meaning it is assigned a place in the 8 megabyte AutoConfig address
range.  As indicated by its size, the AutoConfig space is indeed limited to
8 megabytes, and thus any further memory which wants to be placed into this
range at config time if it is full will be ignored.
    Now, you don't mention what you mean exactly by 'doesn't work' - normally,
if the AutoConfig space is already completely allocated, any further memory
which wants to be located there will just be ignored.  This will also occur
if a memory board is sized larger than the largest available address range
still open in the AutoConfig space.  (eg, say a 4 meg board is allocated first,
leaving a 4 meg 'slot' still available...if the next board in line to be
configured is 8 megs in size, it will be ignored as there is no address range
slot large enough for it).
    Now, with all this, the system should do this in a benign fashion - you
simply will notice a memory board has not been configured.  The system should
not crash or have other problems overall.

             LaMonte Koop -- SCSU Electrical/Computer Engineering

               "You mean you want MORE lights on this thing???"

Post by Eric Ch » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 14:27:34

>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>limited address space (his words, not mine).

If he has 8megs of 16bit RAM and 8megs of 32bit ram he must map the 32bit ram
high.  The VXL30 allows the 32bit ram to autoconfig in the 8 megs space, which
gives a extra speedup to have the WHOLE OS in 32bit ram.  If he can settle
for only 8megs of memory it would be best to keep the 32bit ram autoconfig.

>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>motherboard).

>Thanks for any help,

>Tony

>--

~
/**************************************************************************
 * Eric Chet       | Amiga does it better

 * BIX: chet       | "Use what is useful, simply to simplify"
 */

Post by b.. » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 08:06:12

>>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>>limited address space (his words, not mine).

>>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>>motherboard).

>     If I remember correctly, the VXL RAM*32 board memory is AutoConfig in
> nature, meaning it is assigned a place in the 8 megabyte AutoConfig address
> range.  As indicated by its size, the AutoConfig space is indeed limited to
> 8 megabytes, and thus any further memory which wants to be placed into this
> range at config time if it is full will be ignored.

        Actually, since KS1.2, AutoConfig addresses 9 Mbytes of RAM, not 8
Mbytes. I have the VXL-30 but not the RAM board. On the documentation for
the (then proposed) RAM board, it implied that you could map the 32 bit
RAM above the AutoConfig address space, but only in 030 mode (and only
if you had an MMU?). This would allow you to have 17 Mbytes of RAM (9
Meg of 16 bit, AutoConfig RAM and 8 Meg of 32 bit, VXL RAM). Owners of
the RAM board will have to look at the documentation that came with it to
see if this is actually possible.

                    DOD# 251  '84 VF 750   Closet Ducatisto
             Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

Post by Eric Ch » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 12:17:50

>>>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>>>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>>>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>>>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>>>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>>>limited address space (his words, not mine).

>>>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>>>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>>>motherboard).

>>     If I remember correctly, the VXL RAM*32 board memory is AutoConfig in
>> nature, meaning it is assigned a place in the 8 megabyte AutoConfig address
>> range.  As indicated by its size, the AutoConfig space is indeed limited to
>> 8 megabytes, and thus any further memory which wants to be placed into this
>> range at config time if it is full will be ignored.

>        Actually, since KS1.2, AutoConfig addresses 9 Mbytes of RAM, not 8
>Mbytes. I have the VXL-30 but not the RAM board. On the documentation for
>the (then proposed) RAM board, it implied that you could map the 32 bit
>RAM above the AutoConfig address space, but only in 030 mode (and only
>if you had an MMU?). This would allow you to have 17 Mbytes of RAM (9
>Meg of 16 bit, AutoConfig RAM and 8 Meg of 32 bit, VXL RAM). Owners of
>the RAM board will have to look at the documentation that came with it to
>see if this is actually possible.

First you don't need a MMU to have the 32bit ram mapped high, I would
suggest you map it low so the WHOLE OS is in 32bit ram, exec and all.
Second you don't need a MMU to REMAP the KS ROM, the RAM*32 will do
it in hardware.  The greatest use for the MMU is to use the Enforcer
the greatest debugging tool ever.

Eric

>                    DOD# 251  '84 VF 750   Closet Ducatisto
>             Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

--
~
/**************************************************************************
 * Eric Chet       | Amiga does it better

 * BIX: chet       | "Use what is useful, simply to simplify"
 */

Microbotics VXL-30 and 16 bit RAM

Post by ANTHONY FRANCIS PREST » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 21:06:04

If the VXL-30 memory is mapped high, he can use it and have 14 MBs while
in the 68030 mode.  The 8 MB 32 bit memory is only available to the 68030
like that.  He can use both unless the Supra board has some compatibility
problems.

Post by LaMonte Ko » Wed, 12 Aug 1992 06:04:41

>>>A friend of mine recently purchased a Microbotics VXL-30 accelerator.  He
>>>also bought the 8 meg ram card that goes with it.

>>>Everything works well, except that to get it to work, he has to pull his
>>>8 Meg SupraRAM card (16 bit).  He called Microbotics, and one of the service
>>>reps told him that he can't use the 16 bit RAM in the system because of a
>>>limited address space (his words, not mine).

>>>Now, is this right?  I was under the impression that the 16 bit RAM could be
>>>used in addition to the 32 bit RAM (and the one meg of chip on the
>>>motherboard).

>>     If I remember correctly, the VXL RAM*32 board memory is AutoConfig in
>> nature, meaning it is assigned a place in the 8 megabyte AutoConfig address
>> range.  As indicated by its size, the AutoConfig space is indeed limited to
>> 8 megabytes, and thus any further memory which wants to be placed into this
>> range at config time if it is full will be ignored.

>        Actually, since KS1.2, AutoConfig addresses 9 Mbytes of RAM, not 8
>Mbytes. I have the VXL-30 but not the RAM board. On the documentation for

No.  In terms of expansion memory, the AutoConfig address space is 8 megabytes
starting at $200000.  If you include CHIP memory on this, then you can get
a 9 megabyte total (actually, 10 in some cases).

Quote:>the (then proposed) RAM board, it implied that you could map the 32 bit
>RAM above the AutoConfig address space, but only in 030 mode (and only
>if you had an MMU?). This would allow you to have 17 Mbytes of RAM (9

The MMU would not come into play here.  The mapping would be done in hardware,
simply changing the address range which the memory would be placed, and respond
at.  Since this would be placed above the 24 bit address range of the
68000, '030 mode' would be required simply for the processor to be able to
see the memory at all.

            LaMonte Koop -- SCSU Electrical/Computer Engineering

               "You mean you want MORE lights on this thing???"

1. Microbotics VXL-30 32-bit RAM Board

I desperately need one of the above; anyone willing to sell me one?
Jolly hard to get over here in the UK, so I am more than happy to pay full
 price for the thing.

--
Ian SEFEB/DBMA/UK.

2. A challenge to all programmers

3. 32-bit fast ram for VXL-30 is Available NOW!

4. Auto Login

5. Microbotics VXL-30

6. erro code 734

7. dogma outline font

8. Microbotics VXL-30 68030 card

9. FA: MICROBOTICS VXL-30 A15K/A2K accelorator WORDWIDE AUCTION

10. Microbotics VXL-30/Ram32