ROM Kernel Ref Guides..?!

Post by Marc Tool » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Howdy folks. I've just special ordered some books from Addison Wesley
called the following:

Amiga Rom Kernel Reference Guide: Libraries & Devices
Amiga RK Ref Guide: Includes & Autodocs
Amiga RK Ref Guide: Intuition

However, there was a third book, called "Exec" (subtitled that actually),
which Addison says is out of print.

Which are these books? Is Exec amalgamated into one of the others? Is the
includes & autodocs coming with a disk or something? I don't have to type
in anything do I?

Tell me about these books..  I'm not completely sure what versions they
are, but I *DO* know that they are published very recently (ie: within a
year of today).

Thanks for any information you could provide. I'm just a startup
programmer, and though I've been able to hammer together some decent
amitcp/etc programs using my little compiler, I'd like to have some decent
compatibility and functions of the later operating system. (I drool at the
thought of not having to go a level or three lower than all the other
programmers do. No one can answer my questions when I ask them what the
*ACTUAL* data request structures are comprised of when requesting that the
console switch itself into RAW mode..  a basic question, but it seems to
stump everyone, and it's not in any of the programming ref manuals I have.
They eep telling me SetMode(Input(), 0) or something, which apparently is
something they do all the time with SAS/C.. I don't have SAS/C..)

But enough of my woes. The books questions is what I came here to talk
about.
Thanks again.

Marc

ROM Kernel Ref Guides..?!

Post by Ole Martin Bjoerndal » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Howdy folks. I've just special ordered some books from Addison Wesley
>called the following:
>Amiga Rom Kernel Reference Guide: Libraries & Devices
>Amiga RK Ref Guide: Includes & Autodocs
>Amiga RK Ref Guide: Intuition
>Which are these books?

From the names, these appear to be 1.x books. Release 3 is more recent, and
covers OS 2.04.

Amiga ROM Kernal Reference Manual: Libraries ........... ISBN: 0-201-56774-1
Amiga ROM Kernal Reference Manual: Devices ............. ISBN: 0-201-56775-X
AMIGA User Interface Style Guide ....................... ISBN: 0-201-57757-7

For dos.library, there are two books. The AmigaDOS Manual is the official
documentation, but most seem to prefer the Amiga Guru Book by Ralph Babel
because it goes more in depth.

The AmigaDOS Manual 3rd Edition ........................ ISBN: 0-553-35403-5

The Amiga Guru Book has no ISBN (why?), but you can consult the Amiga Related
Books FAQ to get the ordering info:

http://eksl-www.cs.umass.edu/~atkin/amiga/books.faq.html
http://eksl-www.cs.umass.edu/~atkin/amiga/books.faq.txt

(If you don't have web access, let me know and I'll mail you a copy.)

Quote:>Is Exec amalgamated into one of the others?

Yes, the Exec and Intuition books were moved into Libraries and the devices
were given a book all of their own.

Quote:>Is the includes & autodocs coming with a disk or something?

The Includes & Autodocs comes with the developer CD.

Quote:>I don't have to type in anything do I?

I am not sure what you are asking...

Quote:>Tell me about these books..  I'm not completely sure what versions they
>are, but I *DO* know that they are published very recently (ie: within a
>year of today).

Some of the books in your list were actually publish nearly ten years ago.

Quote:>No one can answer my questions when I ask them what the *ACTUAL* data request
>structures are comprised of when requesting that the console switch itself
>into RAW mode..  a basic question, but it seems to stump everyone, and it's
>not in any of the programming ref manuals I have.

It depends on what you want to do. You can go very far using the dos.library
calls, but if you need to build your own requests, you will probably need the
Amiga Guru Book.

Quote:>They eep telling me SetMode(Input(), 0) or something, which apparently is
>something they do all the time with SAS/C.. I don't have SAS/C..)

SetMode() and Input() are not features of any compiler. They are simply
dos.library calls, and are documented in the AutoDocs.

--
Ole Martin Bj?rndalen
http://www.cs.uit.no/~olemb/index.html

ROM Kernel Ref Guides..?!

Post by Arno Eigenwill » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Amiga Rom Kernel Reference Guide: Libraries & Devices
> Amiga RK Ref Guide: Includes & Autodocs
> Amiga RK Ref Guide: Intuition

> However, there was a third book, called "Exec" (subtitled that actually),
> which Addison says is out of print.

Oops, looks like you have ordered the 1986/87 versions!

See the Amiga Books FAQ by Mark Atkin for data about the current (3rd
Edition, 1991/92) RKMs (named "Includes&Autodocs", "Libraries" and
"Devices") and other reference manuals.

-- __

1. Amiga ROM Kernel Ref. Manual

Does anybody have a copy of this manual for sale ? Or alternatively a phone
number for a U.K supplier ?

+ Andy Malcolm                                                               +
+ Comms Group - Product Development                                          +
+ MDIS - McDonnell Information Systems.                                      +

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+"

2. Flow! Outliner/Idea Processor

3. FS: Amiga ROM Kernel, Auto docs & include, Hardware ref manuals

4. FS: Motorola Cellect pocket modem

5. Rom kernel manual in guide-format?

6. Corrupt User Profiles - Newbie

7. FS:(US) Hardware Ref, Kernel Reference

8. Notating Demarcs

9. Newbie: Any online ref guides on AmigaDOS?

10. A4000 Hardware Ref. Guide?

11. WANTED: Programming guides/library ref manuals