CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by Ant » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 19:48:53

> On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 02:43:45 GMT, n1979 wrote about

> comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.sys.am:

> > OK here's the update.

> > When I attached the CD-R to Secondary Port either as master or slave,
> > 4xIDE prefs program did infact detect it as existing device after cold
> > boot. I could even open the cd tray which was not possible before,
> > however, I could not mount it. I even reinstalled 4xIDE and Allegro
> > CDFS which comes with it, which then deleted old mount files and
> > reported successfull creation of the new mount file for the CD-R which
> > it also confrmed that it found the CD-R attached as either secondary
> > master or later when I switched again, a secondary slave. Boot time
> > also dramatically decreased! It boots within 10-15 seconds to OS!!! :)
> > I hope that there is an easy way out of this mount problem.

> > I assume that there's another little trick to make this bastard
> > mountable, but I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

> There's an old saying that especially applies in the legacy Amiga
community:
> "If it ain't broke, don't f*ck with it!"  It sounds like you've got it all
> working now, so you'd be dancing with the devil if you make any further
> changes.  =:)

Don't think he's managed to get it actually mounted yet, so he can't
actually use it.  I think the problem is the tooltypes for the mountlist (or
DOSDriver, as we call them now).

Open up SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers and you should see a file called "CD0".  If not,
you need to move it from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers (and if that is the case,
reboot and you should find it all works).  Look at the icon's information,
and you should see a tooltype that says, "UNIT=X" (where X is a number
between 0 and 3).  This controls the IDE address of the drive - 0 is primary
master, 1 is primary slave, 2 is secondary master and 3 is secondary slave.
You need to change the number to match your setup.

Note that the line that reads "UNIT=X" actually in the mountlist itself is
ignored.  Only the tooltype is read by AllegroCDFS.

Once you've done this, everything should run OK.

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by n197 » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 01:04:56

Quote:>Don't think he's managed to get it actually mounted yet, so he can't
>actually use it.  I think the problem is the tooltypes for the mountlist (or
>DOSDriver, as we call them now).

>Open up SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers and you should see a file called "CD0".  If not,
>you need to move it from SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers (and if that is the case,
>reboot and you should find it all works).  Look at the icon's information,
>and you should see a tooltype that says, "UNIT=X" (where X is a number
>between 0 and 3).  This controls the IDE address of the drive - 0 is primary
>master, 1 is primary slave, 2 is secondary master and 3 is secondary slave.
>You need to change the number to match your setup.

>Note that the line that reads "UNIT=X" actually in the mountlist itself is
>ignored.  Only the tooltype is read by AllegroCDFS.

>Once you've done this, everything should run OK.

Hmmmm. It just won't mount. :(
Here's the mount file created by Allegro:

/* AllegroCDFS mountlist */

   FileSystem     = L:AllegroCDFS
   Flags          = 0             /* unused */
   BlocksPerTrack = 10            /* unused */
   BlockSize      = 2048          /* unused */
   Mask           = 0x7ffffffe
   LowCyl         = 0             /* unused */
   HighCyl        = 0             /* unused */
   Surfaces       = 1             /* unused */
   Buffers        = 128
/*                  128 = 128 * 512 bytes */
   BufMemType     = 1
   GlobVec        = -1
   Mount          = 1
   Priority       = 5
   DosType        = 0x41434453
   StackSize      = 2048
/* Control        = DC  */
/*                  DC=DEFCDDA/S -  ISO/CDDA disks start as CDDA */

/* The Device and Unit fields are controlled by ToolTypes in the
icon.*/

And here's what it says in the ToolTypes under Icon information:

DEVICE=scsi.device
UNIT=2

Once again as a reminder, my CD-R is connected as Secondary Master.
4xEIDE'99 prefs detect it's connection to the IDE secondary port, as
well as Allegro CDFS installation, but when it comes to mounting it
just doesn't work. No errors are reported, but the CD drive icon just
isn't there since the drive itself is still non-existant.

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by n197 » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:48:03

Update:

Took out my PC CD writer (HP 9100) and installed it in Amiga and it is
experiencing the same problems as the other one (CW058D is the model,
not sure what the brand name is...could be a cheap no name.)

So it looks like it's not due to a faulty CD-R, but something else...
:(

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by Ant » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 07:51:24

Quote:> Once again as a reminder, my CD-R is connected as Secondary Master.
> 4xEIDE'99 prefs detect it's connection to the IDE secondary port, as
> well as Allegro CDFS installation, but when it comes to mounting it
> just doesn't work. No errors are reported, but the CD drive icon just
> isn't there since the drive itself is still non-existant.

Hmm.  The mountlist looks fine (same as EIDE'99 made for my machine).  The
CD-R works, because the 4xEIDE.driver can see it.  The interface works
because it can see the drive.  Thus, the fault must lie with AllegroCDFS.

Have you got Fat95 installed?  It is an Aminet filesystem that allows the
use of IBM-formatted disks (like CrossDOS, but more advanced).  This is
incompatible with Allegro, and causes Allegro to stop functioning.  Check
the DOSDrivers directory for files called "MS0", or similar , and check L:
for a file called "fat95".

Otherwise, since everything else is working, I suggest switching to a
different CDFS.  I switched back to CacheCDFS after discovering the Fat95
incompatibility (I use a ZIP drive to move data between my PC and Amiga).
WB3.9 has its own CDFS built in, and there's at least one available free
from the Aminet (AmiCDFS, or AsimCDFS, or something).  These free versions
are reputedly good, and though Allegro is often touted as the fastest Amiga
CDFS, I don't see any real difference between it and CacheCDFS.

My final idea is this: Hold down the left mouse button at startup to enter
the 4xEIDEPrefs program, then save the settings.  It is possible that the
preferences file stores the drive info, and this needs to be updated before
any new drives will work.

Otherwise, my final final idea is to move the CD0 mountlist back to Storage,
then load it manually, using SnoopDOS to see if any files are missing.

Try these, and if you have no luck, I'm sure I'll have some more final ideas
for you.  :)

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by n197 » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:35:55

Quote:>Have you got Fat95 installed?  It is an Aminet filesystem that allows the
>use of IBM-formatted disks (like CrossDOS, but more advanced).  This is
>incompatible with Allegro, and causes Allegro to stop functioning.  Check
>the DOSDrivers directory for files called "MS0", or similar , and check L:
>for a file called "fat95".

I don't have it installed.

Quote:>Otherwise, since everything else is working, I suggest switching to a
>different CDFS.  I switched back to CacheCDFS after discovering the Fat95
>incompatibility (I use a ZIP drive to move data between my PC and Amiga).
>WB3.9 has its own CDFS built in, and there's at least one available free
>from the Aminet (AmiCDFS, or AsimCDFS, or something).  These free versions
>are reputedly good, and though Allegro is often touted as the fastest Amiga
>CDFS, I don't see any real difference between it and CacheCDFS.

I tried AmiCDFS and the regular OS3.9 CDFS and both produced the same
results. :( No luck. I made sure that I placed the proper unit numbers
and all.

Quote:>My final idea is this: Hold down the left mouse button at startup to enter
>the 4xEIDEPrefs program, then save the settings.  It is possible that the
>preferences file stores the drive info, and this needs to be updated before
>any new drives will work.

Same thing. :(

Quote:>Otherwise, my final final idea is to move the CD0 mountlist back to Storage,
>then load it manually, using SnoopDOS to see if any files are missing.

>Try these, and if you have no luck, I'm sure I'll have some more final ideas
>for you.  :)

Hey I just discovered that when I go to HDTOOLBOX and click on
scsi.device then OK, it only finds the hard drive connected and no
CD-R. However, if I go to 4xEIDE prefs it reports the CD-R under
secondary master. Could this be a clue? HDTOOLBOX doesn's see it. I
remember that it DID see it when my CD-R worked, originally, but only
after a warm boot.

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by Ant » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:21:01

Quote:> Hey I just discovered that when I go to HDTOOLBOX and click on
> scsi.device then OK, it only finds the hard drive connected and no
> CD-R. However, if I go to 4xEIDE prefs it reports the CD-R under
> secondary master. Could this be a clue? HDTOOLBOX doesn's see it. I
> remember that it DID see it when my CD-R worked, originally, but only
> after a warm boot.

Argh!  Right.  Try putting a semi-colon before the line in the
startup-sequence that reads "C:4xEIDE.driver QUIET" and removing the one
before "C:IDEFix quiet".  See if that has any effect - this will disable the
Elbox driver and enable the Elaborate Bytes driver (if you have it).  Seeing
as you must have popped the lid to change the drives around, what exactly
does the buffered IDE interface look like?  Is it a small, wedge-shaped PCB,
plugged directly into the motherboard, or is it square, connected by a
cable?  I'm still trying to work out why you seem to have both IDEFix and
EIDE'99 installed.  (OK, so I do too, but only because I've been too lazy to
delete IDEFix since upgrading.)  The wedge-shaped board is the Elbox EIDE'99
adaptor, whilst the square board is the inferior and cheaper Elaborate Bytes
(IDEFix) interface.  (There is, of course, the chance that you've got
another one entirely, but these are the two most popular.)  If this doesn't
work, just change it back.

The Elbox driver sees that you have a CD-ROM drive, but no filesystems can
mount it.  Bizarre.  You could see it previously because it was actually
being mounted after a warm reset.  The prefs program does not need to have
the drive mounted because it can perform a direct hardware enquiry, whereas
HDToolBox relies on the scsi.device to do this.

Another idea:  Try booting with no startup-sequence (hold down both mouse
buttons at power on, the click the appropriate button).  Now, try typing the
following:

assign env: sys:prefs/env-archive
C:4xEIDE.driver
assign L: sys:L
assign devs: sys:devs
C:mount devs:cd0

Then try accessing the drive using the standard "dir" and "cd" commands.  If
that works, something you've got installed is interfering.  (What does the
C:4xEIDE.driver command return when you run it?  Does it identify the CD
drive?)

One last thing - are you able to access the 4xEIDEPrefs program once the
system has booted normally?  You shouldn't be able to do this, since the
4xEIDE.driver conflicts with it.  If you can, it suggests that the
4xEIDE.driver either isn't actually loading, or is silently crashing before
WB is loaded.  This is a distinct possibility - assuming you *don't* have
the Elbox interface, the 4xEIDE.driver would not load, and so you won't be
able to access the secondary IDE port.  Hence, no CD-ROM.  You can run two
devices from the primary port without an interface, which would explain why
the CD-ROM worked initially.

But then, it occurs to me that IDEFix may now be a part of the WB3.9
distribution (running soft-kicked 3.1 on 3.0 ROMs here), which would explain
why it is in the startup-sequence, and also why it has been REM-ed out.
I've looked at the specs for this machine on SoftHut's website, but they
don't give details of the buffered IDE interface.

Let me know how you get on.

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by Ant » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:28:43

Looking again at the SH site, I notice that they sell the Elaborate Bytes
adaptor and a modified, high-speed version of this.  They *don't* sell the
Elbox version.  But then again, the tower is actually manufactured by Power
Computing, a British company, who *do* sell the Elbox adaptor (got mine from
them).  (Strictly speaking, though, the tower case itself is manufactured by
Elbox...)

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by Iggy Drougg » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:31:52

Mike Leavitt skrev:

Quote:>> Finally, there is *no* patch for this on the Aminet, despite Software Hut's
>> claims.  I've had a quick look, and turned up nothing.  It is common sense
>> that nothing will be there - how is a software patch supposed to slow down
>> the IDE detection system *before* any software is loaded?  Even before the
>> computer knows it has a hard drive attached?  Methinks SH are feeding you
>> BS.
>I have heard about using a wait command or some such in SS to slow down
>the boot process.  This was for 3.0 though to mimic the slower boot
>process in 3.1.  I really don't know, but it is no patch, just a DOS
>command.  Whether it would work here or not, I don't know.

This could be a nice hack. Put the Fusion/Shapeshifter ReserveBlaBla program in
your startup sequence, probably after your IDE patches, and it will reset your
Amiga on a cold boot.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

- Lupin! Vart ska du?
- Tar v?gen ?ver berget f?ljer gr?nsen s? kommer vi till havet.
- Det ?r ju mer ?n 100 km.
- Det ?r v?l ingenting. Jag tillh?r v?rldseliten jag.
     Lupin III den otrolige (Lupin III vs. fukusei ningen), TMS 1978

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by n197 » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:57:49

Quote:>> Hey I just discovered that when I go to HDTOOLBOX and click on
>> scsi.device then OK, it only finds the hard drive connected and no
>> CD-R. However, if I go to 4xEIDE prefs it reports the CD-R under
>> secondary master. Could this be a clue? HDTOOLBOX doesn's see it. I
>> remember that it DID see it when my CD-R worked, originally, but only
>> after a warm boot.

>Argh!  Right.  Try putting a semi-colon before the line in the
>startup-sequence that reads "C:4xEIDE.driver QUIET" and removing the one
>before "C:IDEFix quiet".  See if that has any effect - this will disable the
>Elbox driver and enable the Elaborate Bytes driver (if you have it).  Seeing
>as you must have popped the lid to change the drives around, what exactly
>does the buffered IDE interface look like?  Is it a small, wedge-shaped PCB,
>plugged directly into the motherboard, or is it square, connected by a
>cable?  I'm still trying to work out why you seem to have both IDEFix and
>EIDE'99 installed.  (OK, so I do too, but only because I've been too lazy to
>delete IDEFix since upgrading.)  The wedge-shaped board is the Elbox EIDE'99
>adaptor, whilst the square board is the inferior and cheaper Elaborate Bytes
>(IDEFix) interface.  (There is, of course, the chance that you've got
>another one entirely, but these are the two most popular.)  If this doesn't
>work, just change it back.

Looking at it right now and it says:

Elbox Buffered IDE Interface
4xEIDE

:)

Heh, I got the good one.
I don't have anything important installed on the HD yet so I did a
quick reinstallation of OS3.9 by putting the CD-R in its only known
working mode so far (Primary Slave), then changing it back to
Secondary Master to test all again and it didn't work....again! :(
I made sure that all files of the workbench partition were deleted.
This means that there's no stuff interfearing with it since I did a
clean re-install of the OS. I also took a quick look at the new
startup-sequence file and saw that there is an enabled IFEXISTS IDEFix
line in it. OS3.9 automatically puts this in? Heh. I removed it, tried
again, nothing.

Quote:>The Elbox driver sees that you have a CD-ROM drive, but no filesystems can
>mount it.  Bizarre.  You could see it previously because it was actually
>being mounted after a warm reset.  The prefs program does not need to have
>the drive mounted because it can perform a direct hardware enquiry, whereas
>HDToolBox relies on the scsi.device to do this.

>Another idea:  Try booting with no startup-sequence (hold down both mouse
>buttons at power on, the click the appropriate button).  Now, try typing the
>following:

>assign env: sys:prefs/env-archive
>C:4xEIDE.driver
>assign L: sys:L
>assign devs: sys:devs
>C:mount devs:cd0

>Then try accessing the drive using the standard "dir" and "cd" commands.  If
>that works, something you've got installed is interfering.  (What does the
>C:4xEIDE.driver command return when you run it?  Does it identify the CD
>drive?)

Primary Master ATA PI04 IBM-DCRA-22160
Secondary Master ATAPI PI04 CW058D ATAPI CD-R/RW

Get this. After I type all that up, the system actually tries to read
the CD which is inserted into the CD-R drive, but it fails with the
following message:
CD2
Program failed (error #8000003D).
Wait for disk activity to finish.
SUSPEND                            REBOOT

It actually tried to read something when connected as Secondary
Master! This is an improvement. I wonder why it crashes though. :(

Quote:>One last thing - are you able to access the 4xEIDEPrefs program once the
>system has booted normally?  You shouldn't be able to do this, since the
>4xEIDE.driver conflicts with it.  If you can, it suggests that the
>4xEIDE.driver either isn't actually loading, or is silently crashing before
>WB is loaded.  This is a distinct possibility - assuming you *don't* have
>the Elbox interface, the 4xEIDE.driver would not load, and so you won't be
>able to access the secondary IDE port.  Hence, no CD-ROM.  You can run two
>devices from the primary port without an interface, which would explain why
>the CD-ROM worked initially.

Well the prefs does work, and reports the correct connection of both
the HD and CD-R to appropriate ports.

Quote:>But then, it occurs to me that IDEFix may now be a part of the WB3.9
>distribution (running soft-kicked 3.1 on 3.0 ROMs here), which would explain
>why it is in the startup-sequence, and also why it has been REM-ed out.
>I've looked at the specs for this machine on SoftHut's website, but they
>don't give details of the buffered IDE interface.

Yes we can confirm that IDEFix lines in SS come with OS3.9 since I did
a re-install and they where there again, but not remed out this time.

Quote:>Let me know how you get on.

CD Burner problem at boot-up

Post by n197 » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:34:28

Quote:>Looking again at the SH site, I notice that they sell the Elaborate Bytes
>adaptor and a modified, high-speed version of this.  They *don't* sell the
>Elbox version.  But then again, the tower is actually manufactured by Power
>Computing, a British company, who *do* sell the Elbox adaptor (got mine from
>them).  (Strictly speaking, though, the tower case itself is manufactured by
>Elbox...)

You will not believe this!
It works!!!!

After the reboot after that error when I activated the driver with no
startup-sequence on it actually worked! It's as if it "cleansed" the
4xEIDE.driver file. Pardon my French, but WTF??? :)

Now when I try the 4xEIDEprefs it won't let me go in. :) This is good,
right? :)

LOL, in any case, THANKS to all that help, especially ANT! My new
hero. :)