ESCOM - What's an Amiga?

Post by Bruce Stephen Adam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     At the risk of baiting flames.  I would like to suggest that ESCOM
don't know their Amiga's from their elbows.  I've been in a few of their
shops now, and so far I've only seen one amiga.  The staff in the other
shops didn't even know what one was? (`Is that a games console?`).
Finally whilst searching for a new printer, I found a small ESCOM section
that actually had an amiga.  Lots of ESCOM PC's as well of course.  The
display for the amiga was absolutely immaculate, really bound to make
people want to buy one (That's right I'm being sarcastic).  The damn
thing didn't even have a monitor.  Exactly what kind of advertising are
they trying to do?  The magic bundle was a good idea, emphasizing both
the business and games sides of things together, but what's the point if
they don't even promote it in their own shops.  The bozo's working their
tried to convince me a PC serial mouse would work on an amiga because
their plugs are the same shape.  I was eventually persuaded to get an
HP-Deskjet-660c.  Not a bad printer, but completely useless without a
driver (I tried one that works on a 500c but that has the unusual effect
of making the picture change size with density.  It also gives a nice
tartan pattern on a test image of Babylon-5).  Hewlett packard don't
seem to be very fond of amiga's either.  The warranty asks what machine
you have with boxes to tick for PC's, Mac's, Workstations, and even
Atari's but no amigas.  Driver software?  That's a laugh.  The 'nice'
people at HP gave me a number in holland for some suitable software.  The
'nice' people in Holland wanted 50 for it.  When you've just splashed
out 330 on a shiny new printer, you expect to get some driver software
free (You can almost get a laser printer for that price now).  Citizen do
it, I don't know about Canon.  Did HP do it for any other printer? (I
don't know where the 500c software came from but I'll bet it wasn't HP).
 Does anybody know of a suitable driver? With friend's like these who
needs Bill Gates.  Anybody of there got any comments, or am I talking a
steaming load of pentium.
                          Bruce.

Post by Samuel S. Johns » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 BSA>  Does anybody know of a suitable driver? With friend's like these who
 BSA> needs Bill Gates.  Anybody of there got any comments, or am I talking a
 BSA> steaming load of pentium.

Heheh.  Add that to my list of euphemisms for solid animal waste material.

Samuel S. Johnson                             Editor (at times), AUSI Monitor

Beware of Geeks bearing gifs.

ESCOM - What's an Amiga?

Post by Ian Parkins » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>     At the risk of baiting flames.  I would like to suggest that ESCOM
>don't know their Amiga's from their elbows.  I've been in a few of their
>shops now, and so far I've only seen one amiga.  The staff in the other
>shops didn't even know what one was? (`Is that a games console?`).

There's been a fair few Escom-shop horror stories floating about know. I think
we have to remember that Amigas have been out of circulation for a hell of a
long time and are only just beginning to reappear. The Escom sales staff have
presumably not yet had to know a great deal about the Amiga.

Quote:>Finally whilst searching for a new printer, I found a small ESCOM section
>that actually had an amiga.  Lots of ESCOM PC's as well of course.  The
>display for the amiga was absolutely immaculate, really bound to make
>people want to buy one (That's right I'm being sarcastic).  The damn
>thing didn't even have a monitor.  Exactly what kind of advertising are
>they trying to do?

None at all. Remember this: the current batch of Amigas are are little old-
hat. They were designed 3 or 4 years ago, and the computer world has moved on
a little in that time. (Flamers - wait for the next sentance!) Escom realise
that an A1200 probably won't sell on its own merit when compared to
attractively priced PCs with some darned fine software (and I hate PCs...), so
I would guess that they are holding back the advertising until such time as a
competitive Amiga is available - presumably the Power Amiga in 1997.

Quote:>The magic bundle was a good idea, emphasizing both
>the business and games sides of things together, but what's the point if
>they don't even promote it in their own shops.

Commodore's biggest marketing problem (other than 'Marketing? Wozzat?') was
that they didn't really know which market to aim the Amiga at. They weren't
sure whether to promote it as a games machine in competition with Nintendo
and Sega, or as a business machine in competition with the PC and Mac.
They tried to do both - the top end Amigas as serious computers and the lower
end ones as games machines. Escom are clearly trying something similar. Will
it work? Maybe, now that the PC domination has reached the games player, and
everybody is now used to a machine that can do both.

Quote:>The bozo's working their
>tried to convince me a PC serial mouse would work on an amiga because
>their plugs are the same shape.

Hey! That sounds fun!

Quote:>I was eventually persuaded to get an
>HP-Deskjet-660c.  Not a bad printer, but completely useless without a
>driver (I tried one that works on a 500c but that has the unusual effect
>of making the picture change size with density.  It also gives a nice
>tartan pattern on a test image of Babylon-5).  Hewlett packard don't
>seem to be very fond of amiga's either.  The warranty asks what machine
>you have with boxes to tick for PC's, Mac's, Workstations, and even
>Atari's but no amigas.

Yeah, I've noticed the Amiga box beginning to disappear from registration
cards. How long is it now since C= went down the financial plughole? Not that
long, yet the industry has been very quick to declare the Amiga dead. I do
hope Escom can make a success out of it again.

Quote:>Driver software?  That's a laugh.  The 'nice'
>people at HP gave me a number in holland for some suitable software.  The
>'nice' people in Holland wanted 50 for it.  When you've just splashed
>out 330 on a shiny new printer, you expect to get some driver software
>free (You can almost get a laser printer for that price now).  Citizen do
>it, I don't know about Canon.  Did HP do it for any other printer? (I
>don't know where the 500c software came from but I'll bet it wasn't HP).

I hate this attitude - 'You want to run some serious software on your PC?'
Not '... on your computer' or '... on your (personal computer) PC' but
'... on your IBM-Compatable PC.' THERE ARE OTHER MACHINES AS WELL, GUYS!
It just demonstrates how * the PC has become. People think that
a computer is an IBM PC clone, not the other way round.

Quote:> Does anybody know of a suitable driver? With friend's like these who
>needs Bill Gates.  Anybody of there got any comments, or am I talking a
>steaming load of pentium.
>                          Bruce.

Sorry, Bruce, no driver. I suggest you start browsing through the PD...

As I said above, I believe Escom are not about to push what is essentially
(and I say this with great dread) out of date hardware. We all know how
fantastic the OS is, but lets face it - a machine that cannot run a decent
Doom clone ain't gonna sell (*y non-chunky graphics...). When (and if)
the PPC-Amiga makes an appearence, expect Escom to launch it with a fair few
fireworks.

I sincerely hope that I'm correct with this conclusion - I would hate to see
the greatest computer of its day, and the wonderful OS that comes with it, be
consigned to the history books as a slight embarassment to the rise and rise of
Microsoft World Government Inc.

Sorry everybody - Long reply!

Ian
*** Desperately Seeking Sigfile ***

ESCOM - What's an Amiga?

Post by Andrew George El » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ian Parkinson (sjoh0...@sable.ox.ac.uk) wrote:

: In article <492768$...@izar.brunel.ac.uk>,
: Bruce Stephen Adams  <is95...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:
: >
: >     At the risk of baiting flames.  I would like to suggest that ESCOM
: >don't know their Amiga's from their elbows.  I've been in a few of their
: >shops now, and so far I've only seen one amiga.  The staff in the other
: >shops didn't even know what one was? (`Is that a games console?`).

I completely agree with you. Dare I mention that 70% ex-Rumbelows statistic again ?

: There's been a fair few Escom-shop horror stories floating about know. I think
: we have to remember that Amigas have been out of circulation for a hell of a
: long time and are only just beginning to reappear. The Escom sales staff have
: presumably not yet had to know a great deal about the Amiga.

They're all true. Escom staff have not been trained due to the fact that management said
"they couldn't afford it". Shortly after that was announced, I (along with many others) was
asked to come on a training session for a week in a hotel in Stevenage (all expenses paid for).

: >Finally whilst searching for a new printer, I found a small ESCOM section
: >that actually had an amiga.  Lots of ESCOM PC's as well of course.  The
: >display for the amiga was absolutely immaculate, really bound to make
: >people want to buy one (That's right I'm being sarcastic).  The damn
: >thing didn't even have a monitor.  Exactly what kind of advertising are
: >they trying to do?

I wish I knew. One thing's for certain, marketing don't know either. It's funny that in the
beginning of the whole EsCommodore thing, people were saying that AT is going the same way as
Commodore (although that is clearly not the case now). The retail people are saying that
Escom is going to go the same way that Rumbelows did. Deja vu alert!

: None at all. Remember this: the current batch of Amigas are are little old-
: hat. They were designed 3 or 4 years ago, and the computer world has moved on
: a little in that time. (Flamers - wait for the next sentance!) Escom realise
: that an A1200 probably won't sell on its own merit when compared to
: attractively priced PCs with some darned fine software (and I hate PCs...), so
: I would guess that they are holding back the advertising until such time as a
: competitive Amiga is available - presumably the Power Amiga in 1997.

Actually, even a stock Amiga can seem infinitely more attractive than a PC. Don't forget that
while the Amiga was in production, the PC was quietly sitting in the corner with a moire
pattern screen saver (or Windows marquee). When the Amiga went out of sight for a year and a
half, Intel saw their opportunity. Obviously Intel realise that now that the Amiga is back,
the people that foolishly bought PCs because they thought it was the end and found out that
they are crap (and I know so many people in this position) will be looking to ditch them.
Therefore to give people the idea that it won't work, coupled with the fact that they want to
discourage new buyers, they do what they can to put a stop to it. Bear in mind that Intel
pumped a lot of money into Escom UK stores, even to the point of advertising for them. It
stinks. I often wonder who is running Escom UK Head Office - Escom or Intel.

: >The magic bundle was a good idea, emphasizing both
: >the business and games sides of things together, but what's the point if
: >they don't even promote it in their own shops.

I agree. I would have liked a pack with emphasis on the Internet as well (as the Amiga would
make a pretty excellent and cost-effective Internet tool), but the Amiga Magic pack seems to
be pretty good. A lot of people are saying how excellent Photogenics is, and it's good to see
that AT are listening. Escom UK don't listen. Escom UK don't know. Worse still, they don't
even care. Incontrovertibly, Intel have a nice hand in this.

: Commodore's biggest marketing problem (other than 'Marketing? Wozzat?') was
: that they didn't really know which market to aim the Amiga at. They weren't
: sure whether to promote it as a games machine in competition with Nintendo
: and Sega, or as a business machine in competition with the PC and Mac.
: They tried to do both - the top end Amigas as serious computers and the lower
: end ones as games machines. Escom are clearly trying something similar. Will
: it work? Maybe, now that the PC domination has reached the games player, and
: everybody is now used to a machine that can do both.

...after reconfiguring the whole thing. PC games require a great deal of messing about in
order to get them to work. The ones I've seen are awfully pixelly considering the fact that
PC owners boast about the high resolutions they can display. Further more, I've seen MS
Flight Simulator 5 running in this screen mode on a Kludgium 75. For just polygon graphics,
it was running at about 3 frames a second (or more correctly, 3 seconds a frame!). I've also
been reliably informed that the PC versions of Body Blows and Mortal Kombat are also really
slow (and pixellated). The sound from Mortal Kombat (Sound Blaster 16-bit card) was
ridiculously poor when I heard it. I don't know about you, but I prefer sticking the disc in
(or installing it to HD) and away you go. I'm old-fashioned like that.

: >The bozo's working their
: >tried to convince me a PC serial mouse would work on an amiga because
: >their plugs are the same shape.

: Hey! That sounds fun!

The word "desperate" springs to mind.

: >I was eventually persuaded to get an
: >HP-Deskjet-660c.  Not a bad printer, but completely useless without a
: >driver (I tried one that works on a 500c but that has the unusual effect
: >of making the picture change size with density.  It also gives a nice
: >tartan pattern on a test image of Babylon-5).  Hewlett packard don't
: >seem to be very fond of amiga's either.  The warranty asks what machine
: >you have with boxes to tick for PC's, Mac's, Workstations, and even
: >Atari's but no amigas.

Are you listening AT ? Do something about it.

: Yeah, I've noticed the Amiga box beginning to disappear from registration
: cards. How long is it now since C= went down the financial plughole? Not that
: long, yet the industry has been very quick to declare the Amiga dead. I do
: hope Escom can make a success out of it again.

I've noticed that the absence of C= has been exploited in many cases (M$ and Intel).
Companies have been very quick to write it off. It seems that a lot of people want the Amiga
to die. The ultimate kick in the teeth to them would be a complete comeback.

: >Driver software?  That's a laugh.  The 'nice'
: >people at HP gave me a number in holland for some suitable software.  The
: >'nice' people in Holland wanted 50 for it.  When you've just splashed
: >out 330 on a shiny new printer, you expect to get some driver software
: >free (You can almost get a laser printer for that price now).  Citizen do
: >it, I don't know about Canon.  Did HP do it for any other printer? (I
: >don't know where the 500c software came from but I'll bet it wasn't HP).

: I hate this attitude - 'You want to run some serious software on your PC?'
: Not '... on your computer' or '... on your (personal computer) PC' but
: '... on your IBM-Compatable PC.' THERE ARE OTHER MACHINES AS WELL, GUYS!
: It just demonstrates how dominant the PC has become. People think that
: a computer is an IBM PC clone, not the other way round.

Canon are very good with printer drivers, by the way. A simply phonecall, and they sent me a
driver disc straight away (complete with it's customised prefs program). Most excellent. I
hate what is happening to the Computer industry. Marketing sells the crap products to
gormless consumers, while the decent ones just sit there. The inequity of it all.

: > Does anybody know of a suitable driver? With friend's like these who
: >needs Bill Gates.  Anybody of there got any comments, or am I talking a
: >steaming load of pentium.
: >                          Bruce.
: >
: >

: Sorry, Bruce, no driver. I suggest you start browsing through the PD...

: As I said above, I believe Escom are not about to push what is essentially
: (and I say this with great dread) out of date hardware. We all know how
: fantastic the OS is, but lets face it - a machine that cannot run a decent
: Doom clone ain't gonna sell (bloody non-chunky graphics...). When (and if)
: the PPC-Amiga makes an appearence, expect Escom to launch it with a fair few
: fireworks.

: I sincerely hope that I'm correct with this conclusion - I would hate to see
: the greatest computer of its day, and the wonderful OS that comes with it, be
: consigned to the history books as a slight embarassment to the rise and rise of
: Microsoft World Government Inc.

Look on the bright side, the Amiga is unpolluted by M$.

: Sorry everybody - Long reply!

: Ian
: *** Desperately Seeking Sigfile ***

Andy E.
    //
   // What they conquer through ignorance, we conquer through knowledge
 \X/

ESCOM - What's an Amiga?

Post by Alexander W. Dor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Issue #1: Escom and the Amiga.

I have no absolute knowledge, but my powers of deduction (which
have served me well in the past) tell me that Escom had no idea
what they were getting into.  They probably just wanted the
Commodore name, as it is respected almost everywhere but the
U.S., and they got the Amiga by chance.

Then, though the Internet and such, there were outcrys for the
Amiga-a lot of talk about how wonderful the machine is and how
much people wanted them.  Being business-minded people, they
needed to find out if this was just a lot of talk, or if they
had discovered a new market-one that they had not even
considered.  What did they do?  They sank some money into it
and cranked up a few factories to put out Amigas.

What happened?  Well, from everything I'm hearing, they're
selling better than hotcakes, at least in Euroupe.  I know that
the moment Escom announced that they were going to put the
A1200/4000 back into production, Used/Refurbished/Any Amigas
suddently became hard to find-at least here in the States.  I
was planning on buying an A1200 in July, but when I called
around, no one had any!

Now, Escom has a product with a large demand, and a very loyal
following, and probably don't know what to do with it.

Have the Escom stores been briefed on this-on the Amiga?  I
would think not, because only now does Escom realize that
they've got something.

I think that Escom store personell will probably be, well, at
least memo'd about the Amiga early next year, and especially
kept up on the hardware for the PowerAmiga platform.

Issue #2: out-of-date technology.

I'm sorry, but I still get agrivated when I hear the AGA Amigas
referred to as being "out-of-date."  The A2000 I'm building at
present, even though it is only running at 7MHz and a floppy
drive, performs basic OS tasks much more quickly than my
Pentium120 at work.

Chunky Pixel?  While these Chunky-Pixel cards that the PC has
now days seem quite powerful, it's the Amiga's Bit-Plane
graphics that give it all of the advantage in video-they allow
us to play full-screen animations without a lot of jitters.

While having limited ChunkyPixel capability, or none at all on
Pre-AGA Machines, makes it more difficult, if not impossible
for PC Games and such to be ported over to the Amiga, this is a
small price to pay for having everything else the Machine has.

As for Doom, there seem to be many Doom clones coming out on
the Amiga at present.  The funny thing, though, is that the 3D
Maze-type game seems to be going out of style-out of demand.

Issue #3: The Answer?

I'm not worried about Escom and the Amiga.  It was said that
they cannot do as bad as Commodore did, and I still believe
this is true.  So far, they seem to be doing quite well, as far
as I can tell.  They've had the machine for less than a year,
and it's doing well.

What is needed?  I think we need programs and MultiMedia
Applications, the latter more so.  I think that if the Amiga
market can get a good supply of, say, CD-Rom Multimedia
Presentations, something that even a modest, low-power,
out-of-date A1200 (Yes, that is sarcasm) can do better than
most PCs - that if we can get a good supply of these out, into
the market-somewhere where people can see the power of these
little machines, then I think people will look, become
interested, and buy the machines.  Their easy to use, yet
powerful, capable of playing games, yet also capable of
building virtual worlds in Broadcast Quality.

I'm not worried.

Thank you for your time

Alexander W. Dorn