Floppy problems/trashing

Post by Mike Duppo » Fri, 09 Dec 1994 08:27:13

I'm having some terrible floppy problems, and it seems to happen both
with DF0: and DF1.  They're intermittently trashing disks, and when they do
it's impossible to format the disk again because the formatter gives the
error message that track #0 is unusable.
* Is track #0 on the inside or outside of the disk?
* Could these drives be out of alignment?
* Is there a utility that checks for alignment or aids you in the alignment
  of the drive heads?

Please respond via E-Mail with any info you might have.  This is really
getting annoying.

Thanks.
Mike Duppong

1. Weird memory trashing problem... (HELP!)

Hi, all!  I've got a real strange problem.  I have an A500 w/ICD AdRam
populated to 3.5M, OCS Denise, Fatter Agnus, WB2.14, and a Xetec FastTrak
SCSI adapter (to a Seagate ST296N, if you care... :-) and the original
A500 powersupply.  I also sometimes hook up my A1010 ext 3.5" drive, but
it doesn't seem to make any difference.
        When I get low on memory (<500k of either chip or fast), I get
random garbage in allocated ram.  This shows up on screens as rows of blocks
of pixels across the screen (which invade windows on the wb, too!) and as
high-pitched noise in samples when I try to load/play MOD's longer than
about 200k.  I have run the ICD RamTest program several times, and it
reports no problems.  Has anyone else had this problem?  (I have to reboot
to clear it up once it starts... :-(
        I'm still using my original A500 powersupply (the "beige brick") to
run all this hardware, and I think it might be getting marginal.  Would a
bad PS cause this sort of thing?  I have disconnected my A1010, thinking it
was drawing too much current, but that hasn't noticeably changed the problem.
        Also, the effect is actually in the ram images - samples and screens
that I save while they were trashed are trashed when I reload them.
        Please help - this is becoming *VERY* annoying!

        Thanks in advance...

        -rAT

---
        O----O  "I am rodent - hear me squeak!" - rAT #include <disclaim.h>
  -rAT   \oo/   "Thou shall not commit laundry..." - the Descendents

2. CCMail FTP-type Mail Server

3. Extenal Floppy Problem and Problem with CLI Path

4. US-CO-Denver-Quality Assurance/Testing Manager-Recruiter

5. UAE == Trash

6. \def question

7. Re QuickTime = Trash

8. Good Pocket PC 2002 Software Sites Please

9. Quicktime = TRASH

10. It's trash Greg Block's .signature day!

11. Let's trash an Amiga games publisher

12. URE, trash of the present

13. 060 and all that trash