A2000 Power Supply

Post by Frank Tempelma » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi there!

When powering up my A2000 (at least, when trying to), my A2000's
power supply  only makes some very soft `ticking' sounds, no HD
spinning, no display, nothing else. I concluded that the power
supply may be broken.

I was a little bit shocked to discover that original A2000
power supplies cost about $150, so my question is: can I replace
it with a standard dirt-cheap power supply (for instance a PC
one)? Will it fit? Are the connections the same? Cabling? How
much power do I need, as the original power supply appeared to
be only just sufficient enough?

Questions, questions, questions...

Thanks!

Frank (whose hardware knowledge is non-existant)

--
  Frank Tempelman
   [ Imagine every possible disclaimer to stay out of trouble here ]

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Christopher P. Mill » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi there!

> When powering up my A2000 (at least, when trying to), my A2000's
> power supply  only makes some very soft `ticking' sounds, no HD
> spinning, no display, nothing else. I concluded that the power
> supply may be broken.

> I was a little bit shocked to discover that original A2000
> power supplies cost about $150, so my question is: can I replace
> it with a standard dirt-cheap power supply (for instance a PC
> one)? Will it fit? Are the connections the same? Cabling? How
> much power do I need, as the original power supply appeared to
> be only just sufficient enough?

> Questions, questions, questions...

> Thanks!

> Frank (whose hardware knowledge is non-existant)

> --
>   Frank Tempelman
>    [ Imagine every possible disclaimer to stay out of trouble here ]

I have just converted a PC power supply to power my Amiga 1200. I do not
know enough about the A2000 to say whether it would be possible to
convert one to the A2000 but I guess the only problem that you may have
is that it does not fit in the case. So long as you can ascertain the
pin-outs on the 2000 PSU, then conversion should be no problem as you
can simply use the old connectors.

Hope this helps.

Chris Mills
Cranfield Univerity

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Greg Tallen » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Supply

Quote:>Hi there!
>When powering up my A2000 (at least, when trying to), my A2000's
>power supply  only makes some very soft `ticking' sounds, no HD
>spinning, no display, nothing else. I concluded that the power
>supply may be broken.
>I was a little bit shocked to discover that original A2000
>power supplies cost about $150, so my question is: can I replace
>it with a standard dirt-cheap power supply (for instance a PC
>one)? Will it fit? Are the connections the same? Cabling? How
>much power do I need, as the original power supply appeared to
>be only just sufficient enough?

 Here's a simple one:

 Unplug the PS and remove it from your system, now take it apart and see if the
fuse on it is blown.

 You don't have much to lose by checking, since it seems to have died.

 AFAIK, The original supply is rated for 200 watts.

Quote:>Questions, questions, questions...
>Thanks!
>Frank (whose hardware knowledge is non-existant)
>--
>  Frank Tempelman
>   [ Imagine every possible disclaimer to stay out of trouble here ]

<TSB>
Greg Tallent       |Amiga2000/040/33mhz/3.1 32 megs ram,2 gig/Toaster3.1 |

In Northern Calif. |AMD-K5-P133/48 Megs ram,2.8 Gigs, LightWave, Win95   |
Living on 750 Acres|P166/96 Megs ram,11 gig's, LightWave, Win95          |

Kneel as you are in the presence of Greatness.

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Fred » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Take a look on aminet, in the hardware hacks, there is one about putting
an A2000 in a tower, with a PC power supply.

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Ron Flor » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Be careful here-

 A PC power supply is NOT a drop in replacement, the amiga PS also
provides timing pulses not present on the PC.

 You may be overloading the power supply, which is designed to cut-back
in the event of an overload.

 There is a BIGFOOT supply available, but they are -expensive- .

 Use care when working with power supplies, they can hold a dangerous
change for quite awhile.  Also, minor reassembly mistakes can flame-out
your machine....

 best of luck-

ron

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Andreas Schmedtma » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello Frank,

In a Message to All you wrote :

 FT> When powering up my A2000 (at least, when trying to), my A2000's
 FT> power supply  only makes some very soft `ticking' sounds, no HD
 FT> spinning, no display, nothing else. I concluded that the power
 FT> supply may be broken.

It maybe only a broken fuse. Easy to change.

 FT> I was a little bit shocked to discover that original A2000
 FT> power supplies cost about $150, so my question is: can I replace  it
 FT> with a standard dirt-cheap power supply (for instance a PC
 FT> one)? Will it fit? Are the connections the same? Cabling? How
 FT> much power do I need, as the original power supply appeared to
 FT> be only just sufficient enough?

Yes, it could be replaced.
No, the cable isn`t the same.
No, it won`t fit, you have to fix it in the case by yourself.
AFAIK the A2000 Power Suppley is a 200W one.

Cheerio . . .           Member     //

                                       FIDO: 2:2449/413.24

--
AmigaXess - Home of Net.Persons of Amiga.Ger

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Fredrik Zetterlun » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On 20-Jun-97 18:54:48 did Ron Flory write something about Re: A2000 Power
Supply:

>> Be careful here-
> A PC power supply is NOT a drop in replacement, the amiga PS also
>provides timing pulses not present on the PC.

Strange... My PS is taken from a PC, it's big and have a fan. It's main
purpose was to get power to the drives +5,+12,-12V, and it works great!

Quote:> (SNIP)
> best of luck-

I'll second that..

Quote:>ron

--
         __  / ___/ _  __/  __  /  -Amiga 500/030/25-

           / ___/    /   _/ __/  -All U Ever Need!-
       ___________________________________________/

Shell to DOS....Come in, DOS.....Do you Copy?

A2000 Power Supply

Post by Perez Wall » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > A PC power supply is NOT a drop in replacement, the amiga PS also
> >provides timing pulses not present on the PC.

> Strange... My PS is taken from a PC, it's big and have a fan. It's main
> purpose was to get power to the drives +5,+12,-12V, and it works great!

What he means is that you can't just place a PC power supply on the A2000
and connect it to the power connector on the main board because the
pinout is different (maybe some not standard or old ps has the same
pinout, most probably some XT one).
also, some PC ps DO have the timing pulse but, again, they are very rare.
If the ps does not have it (most common), you have to switch a jumper to
obtain it from the video hardware.

 May The Force be with you!
                             WALLS aka Jedi Master Kalimero
  _,----._  |    Juan Carlos Perez Walls    |  Micro$oft Corp. You will |
 /        \ |Centro Superior de Informatica | never find a more wretched|
|   /      ||Universidad de La Laguna SPAIN | hive of scum and villainy |
|__/\______||-----------------------------------------------------------|
 |(o)__(o)| | FTP:       ftp://ftp.csi.ull.es/pub/incoming/walls        |
  \`-==-'/  | Home Page: http://www.csi.ull.es/alumnado/alu339          |

  KALIMERO  |___________________________________________________________|

1. A2000 Power Supply Replace with PC Supply??

Hi,
yesterday I wanted to boot my old A 2000 in order
to get some data from my hard disk.

The power supply started burning and now it's
broken.

Is it posible to use a standard PC AT or ATX
power supply as work around. I downloaded the
power connector pin out for the A2000. There is a
pin labled with TICK and the annotation that this
one isn't available on pc power supplies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joerg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Which RTOS do you recommend us?

3. Broken A2000 Power Supply..NEED HELP!!!

4. Multiplication on your favorite CPU

5. A2000 power supply

6. LIVE ORBITRONIK NETCAST

7. A2000 power supply - Clicking noise

8. Filewall rules asked (For WinRoute Pro)

9. Broken A2000 power supply

10. A2000 Power supply details required...

11. Using an A2000 power supply on a 1200

12. A2000 power supply schematics and component location diagram request

13. A2000 power supply