Hired Guns preview / Hired Guns Demo review (Long!)

Hired Guns preview / Hired Guns Demo review (Long!)

Post by Frantic Fred » Wed, 12 May 1993 16:45:17

Previews don't fit in c.s.a.reviews, and demo reviews aren't exactly
appropriate there either, so I decided to post this here, using the
template that's used in c.s.a.reviews.  I hope you like it.

WARNING: This (p)review is aimed at people who are not familiar with the
        Hired Guns demo yet.  People who have already played the demo
        will probably not find anything new in this article, so they
        may as well skip it.

Filenames:      /pub/aminet/game/demo/HiredGuns0-39.dms
          and   /pub/aminet/game/demo/HiredGuns40-79.dms
Site:           all aminet sites (amiga.physik.unizh.ch etc.)

PRODUCT NAME

        Hired Guns, release 0.7 (demonstration version), version 37.14

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

        Hired Guns is an innovative real-time Role Playing Game (RPG) with
        4 independent characters - allowing for tougher puzzles and real
        teamwork - and a multiplayer option.  It's set in a futuristic
        scenery.

AUTHOR/COMPANY INFORMATION

        Publisher:

        UK:     Name:           Psygnosis Ltd.
                Address:        South Harrington Building
                                Sefton Street
                                Liverpool L3 4BQ
                                UK
                Telephone:      (051) 709 5755

        USA:    Name:           Psygnosis
                Address:        29 Saint Mary's Court
                                Brookline, MA 02146
                                USA
                Telephone:      (617) 731 3553

                Name:           Scott Johnston
                Address:        DMA Design
                                Discovery House
                                Dundee Technology Park
                                Dundee
                                Scotland, DD1 1TY
                FAX:            0382 562333

LIST PRICE

        The Hired Guns demo is freely distributable.  You can get it from
        all the aminet ftp-sites for free.

        I don't know the list price of the full game (yet).

SPECIAL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

        HARDWARE

        Hired Guns runs on any Amiga (A500, A500+, A600, A1200, A1500,
        A2000, B2000, A2500, A3000, A4000), provided the machine has at
        least 1 MB of RAM.

        To run the demo from a hard disk, and to be able to use its
        multitasking features, you will need at least 2 MB of RAM, of
        which at least 1 MB Chip RAM.

        This applies both to the demo and the full game.

        The demo takes up approx. 640K of hard disk space.  The full game
        is said to be 8 MB compressed on 5 disks, so I guess it should fit
        within 5 MB of hard disk space.

        Hired Guns (the game) will be able to use a special joystick
        adapter that allows you to connect 2 extra joysticks to the
        parallel port.  This feature is not implemented in the demo yet.

        SOFTWARE

        Hired Guns is said to work fine under any Kickstart.  I have only
        tested the demo under Kickstart 1.2 and 2.04 I had absolutely no
        compatibility problems.

COPY PROTECTION

        NONE

        The Hired Guns demo even comes with a Duplicate program that enables
        you to copy the disk.  You are encouraged to make as many copies
        as you like and distribute them to friends.  According to the
        documentation, the Duplicate program will not work on an Amiga 4000.

        The demo is hard disk-installable, and the author reports that the
        full game will be too (Yes! DMA Design finally seems to understand
        that we *do* want this feature).  All you have to do to copy it to
        your hard disk is move the Hard disk-Install icon to the directory
        where you want the demo to be placed (e.g. to the Games directory on
        your hard disk) and doubleclick on it.  It will make a directory named
        'HiredGunsDemo' and copy all the necessary files into it.  No
        modifications/extensions to system files (like Startup-Sequence or
        User-Startup) or system directories (fonts, etc.) are necessary.

        You don't need to boot from the demo disk to be able to play.
        To run the demo, all you need to do is load in a Workbench and
        double-click on the icon of your choice; there are 3 different
        versions of the game on disk; a non-playable demo for you to
        watch, a 1-player (Campaign) demo and a 2-player (Action) demo.
        However, when you run the demo from disk, there is no way to
        exit the demo and return to the Workbench.  You will need to
        reboot the machine.  When running from hard disk, you can both
        exit the game back to the Workbench, and multitask!

MACHINE USED FOR TESTING

        Amiga 2000B, 1 internal drive, 1 external drive
        512K Chip RAM, 512K Ranger RAM, 2MB Fast RAM (SupraRAM board)
        Kickstart 1.2, Workbench 1.3.2
        52 MB Quantum LPS hard disk, Evolution 2.2 SCSI-II controller

        Amiga 2500, 1 internal drive, 1 external drive
        A2630 board with 4MB Fast RAM, 2MB Chip RAM
        Kickstart 2.04, Workbench 2.1
        120 MB Quantum LPS hard disk, Evolution 3.0 SCSI-II controller

(P)REVIEW

                                PREFACE

        When I first saw the demo of this game (somewhere in Februari, I
think), I was thrilled - and I still am.  Finally DMA Design/Psygnosis
promises a game to be hard disk-installable right from the start, even
allowing multi-tasking (provided enough memory is present), and it's a
fantastic game as well!  I think it's the best RPG I've seen in a long
time, and it's terribly addictive.

                                STORY

        For an RPG, the story is remarkably original.  No "Go down in this
dungeon with your elves, dwarves and gnomes and kill Mr. Bad Guy who wants
to take over the universe".  The story is set in the year 2707.  By that time,
robots have taken over from humans on almost all jobs, because they're better
at it than humans are.  The only job where humans still excel is as hired
killers; mercenaries, or 'Hired Guns' (can you guess where the name of this
game came from? :-)  Now a group of terrorists has kidnapped some people from
another terrorist organisation and they hold them hostage on a planet with
the nickname "Graveyard".  The government doesn't care if these terrorists
kill each other.  So you are hired to free the hostages.  You don't know who
hired you, but the pay is okay, so you don't complain.  What you do know,
is that there's more to it that just freeing hostages.  There's more at
stake here, and it's extremely dangerous (hmm... could there be some big
bad guy underneath it all anyway?).

        The demo has a slightly different story, which is at least as original
and fits in nicely with the story of the full game.
Four characters - Rorian (a marine), Cheule Siygess (a citizen), Jenillee
Freymon (medic) and CIM (a combat droid) - are granted the privilige (or did
they manage to bribe the right people?) to train in the Battle Simulator of
the Tesseract Military Training Center.  The Simulator is set to simulate
the conditions on the planet Graveyard.  Your mission sounds easy: all you
have to do to successfully complete the training is find the exit and get out
alive.  Let's hope you succeed; you never know when this training may come in
handy...

        Please note that the demo is not just a restricted version of the full
game, where you can't finish because you cannot reach the elementary parts;
the demo is a full (multi-level) game by itself, albeit not as large as the
eventual game.

                        INTERFACE / GAME PLAY

        When you start the game, a requester will pop up offering a choice
from a set of different languages (the demo only allows the english language
to be selected).  After this, you will see a short intro and then end up on
the game screen.  If you started the game from disk instead of from hard disk,
it will inform you, right after you picked the language, that it will take
over all resources of the machine, all applications are stopped and all
unsaved data is lost.  This is your last chance to abort the process and save
your data.  This also means that you will not be able to multitask when you
start the game from disk.  I can't really appreciate this; if I have enough
memory anyway, why not use it?

        As I mentioned before, the screen is divided into four equal parts;
one for each character.  These parts consist of a 3D view, taking up most
of the space, and small buttons for your inventory, your statistics, an
auto-mapper screen, an 'auto-leader' button and a small green/red bar
indicating your health.  The 'auto-leader' can be switched on or off (just
click on it) and indicates if you want to lead or follow other characters.
Everyone who has this button turned on and is in close range of the currently
active character, will automatically follow him when he (or she, or it) runs
around.  Sometimes this goes wrong and a following character gets stuck behind
a wall or walks off a cliff.  However, the author knows of this problem.
As I said above, the game has an auto-mapping feature, and it really works
great!  For this feature to function, your character needs a special item
called a 'DTS module' (Digital Terrain Scanner).  In the demo, two of the
characters are equipped with such a module.  I found this to be enough; if
you want other characters to do the automapping, you can simply give them the
module.  Another thing that may be nice to mention is the on-line encyclopedia.
In the inventory ('store') screen, there is an icon with an 'i' in it.
Clicking on that icon will give some information about the item that is
currently held in your hands.  This can be useful sometimes.

        All controls are extremely intuitive and almost everything can be
done by clicking with the left mouse button.  This button can have a couple
of different effects, and the mouse pointer always changed to an icon
reflecting this effect.  In some situations (reloading a gun, pulling a
block) the right mouse button also has a function.  Usually this works
just fine, but occasionally I found myself clicking in the wrong part of
the screen accidentally, and this can have terrible effects (shooting at
your own party members instead of walking up to them, walking off a cliff
instead of turning around, etc.  Maybe I just need more practice, and most
of the time it works great, but you need to be aware of exactly where the
mouse is located on the screen.  This is not really fit for people who have
problems with eye-hand coordination.  One more thing to mention: when you
walk around and there is an item lying on the ground (or multiple items),
an icon will appear in the lower left corner of the characters 3D view.
Clicking on this icon will make you pick up the item and put it in your
backpack.  I regret that you cannot look at the item without picking it

read more »

Post by You Know W » Sat, 15 May 1993 17:34:27

>    Now let me briefly mention the multi-player option (the Action Demo).
>The game will let you choose up to 4 players, the demo is restricted to 2.
>This is the place where for most people it will become painfully obvious
>that what they have is only a demo, and not the full game; there's no joystick
>support, and the only way to play the 2-player demo is with mice.  So to play
>the demo, your friend will have to bring along his mouse (if you don't happen
>to have a spare mouse lying around, that is).  Now let's assume you have two
>mice and are all set to go.  One player controls the two characters on the
>left, the other one the two on the right.  The 2-player variant is set in an
>entirely different set of levels as the 1-player demo.  The aim here is to
>reach the exit before the other player reaches it.  There is a time limit of
>15 minutes.  If neither has reached the exit within that time, you'll have
>to start anew.  Only characters controlled by the same player can meet each
>other in the game.  Different players have their own copies of the same game,
>so if player 1 kills all the monsters and gets all the items in his game,
>this will not affect any of the monsters or items in the second player's game
>(ofcourse not; that would be too easy).

        Just a quick note, this isn't true. Both sets of characters CAN AND
DO interact in the 2-player mode. The reason it looks like it isn't is
because both parties start on OPPOSITE sides of the map! In other words,
the level is divided into two halves which are EXACTLY alike! :-D
        After you've dove into the huge mass of monsters at the bottom
of the elevators, you can cross through the middle and into the other player's
"territory". (There are two places you can do this, you can walk through the
water tunnel dividing the two, or cross through the room up above, by the
catwalks.) Then both players can meet up and finish off the remaining
monsters together. (REAL fun!)
        So far, I have yet to find an exit on the 2-player version.
        I have finished the 1 player version.... I had BLOWN ALL THE MONSTERS
TO BITS!! I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!! I ZOOMED UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!! I
RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!! AND I RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........
......a loaf of bread.

        I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of BREAD?!?!?
The ending to the 1-player version really sucked. I hope the 2-player demo
has a better one. :-) I'm sick of bread.

Post by Scott Harris » Sat, 15 May 1993 22:53:13

>    So far, I have yet to find an exit on the 2-player version.
>    I have finished the 1 player version.... I had BLOWN ALL THE MONSTERS
>TO BITS!! I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!! I ZOOMED UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!! I
>RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!! AND I RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........
>.......a loaf of bread.

>    I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of BREAD?!?!?
>The ending to the 1-player version really sucked. I hope the 2-player demo
>has a better one. :-) I'm sick of bread.

Hi,

Ah, well, that's _not_ the way it ends. You've found a passageway to the top
for a few more supplies, but that's not the exit.

You'll know when you've finished--it tells you. It's not a great ending, I
admit, but hey, this is just a demo, right?

The 'real' end requires you to face something like Armageddon in the form
of a room filled (and it's a LARGE room) with demons. The floor will be
*covered* with the bodies of dead demons by the time you finish (or, more
likely, dead _players_ the first time or two :-)

If you want more info, I can tell you how to get there.

Cheers,
Scott

Hired Guns preview / Hired Guns Demo review (Long!)

Post by Walter R Franc » Sun, 16 May 1993 02:25:27

[Partial Hired Guns preview deleted]

Quote:>        Just a quick note, this isn't true. Both sets of characters CAN AND
>DO interact in the 2-player mode. The reason it looks like it isn't is
>because both parties start on OPPOSITE sides of the map! In other words,
>the level is divided into two halves which are EXACTLY alike! :-D

Neat...  I need to try to play that two player..  I always die before
I can get anywhere..

Quote:>        After you've dove into the huge mass of monsters at the bottom
>of the elevators, you can cross through the middle and into the other player's
>"territory". (There are two places you can do this, you can walk through the
>water tunnel dividing the two, or cross through the room up above, by the
>catwalks.) Then both players can meet up and finish off the remaining
>monsters together. (REAL fun!)
>        So far, I have yet to find an exit on the 2-player version.
>        I have finished the 1 player version.... I had BLOWN ALL THE MONSTERS
>TO BITS!! I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!! I ZOOMED UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!! I
>RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!! AND I RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........
>......a loaf of bread.

>        I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of BREAD?!?!?
>The ending to the 1-player version really sucked. I hope the 2-player demo
>has a better one. :-) I'm sick of bread.

Er... Let me guess, you've never seen a button that says "EXIT" have you? :)

That lift you're talking about isn't anything..  The exit is through a
door on the other side of the chamber with the water in the middle.

However, you'll have to look for it..  When you've found two doors in a
row you've found it..

Good luck...  Hope you're good at side-stepping (manually).. :)

---

Post by 2fvmvi.. » Sun, 16 May 1993 00:26:33

>    So far, I have yet to find an exit on the 2-player version.

The exit is down in the "monster pit".  You need an access card to get
through it though.

Quote:>    I have finished the 1 player version.... I had BLOWN ALL THE MONSTERS
> TO BITS!! I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!! I ZOOMED UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!! I
> RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!! AND I RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........
> ......a loaf of bread.

>    I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of BREAD?!?!?
> The ending to the 1-player version really sucked. I hope the 2-player demo
> has a better one. :-) I'm sick of bread.

Huh?  You don't use a turbolift to get to the final door.  The final door
has a pit in front of it that you either have to fill with those moveable
blocks or use the bridge amp.  When its over, it goes to a congratulatory
screen.

Same for the 2 player game. (the end screen)

Post by You Know W » Sun, 16 May 1993 08:42:59

>>        So far, I have yet to find an exit on the 2-player version.
>>        I have finished the 1 player version.... I had BLOWN ALL THE MONSTERS
>>TO BITS!! I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!! I ZOOMED UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!! I
>>RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!! AND I RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........
>>.......a loaf of bread.

>>        I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of BREAD?!?!?
>>The ending to the 1-player version really sucked. I hope the 2-player demo
>>has a better one. :-) I'm sick of bread.

>Hi,
>Ah, well, that's _not_ the way it ends. You've found a passageway to the top
>for a few more supplies, but that's not the exit.
>You'll know when you've finished--it tells you. It's not a great ending, I
>admit, but hey, this is just a demo, right?
>The 'real' end requires you to face something like Armageddon in the form
>of a room filled (and it's a LARGE room) with demons. The floor will be
>*covered* with the bodies of dead demons by the time you finish (or, more
>likely, dead _players_ the first time or two :-)
>If you want more info, I can tell you how to get there.

        ACK! :-D I found that room, and defeated it.... I never thought of
throwing a block in the pit tho...... I've won the game now. The ending still
sucked. :->  The only place I thought I'd not explored was the turbolift...
Couple people told me about the pit though. :-) Now I know.

Quote:>Cheers,
>Scott

Hired Guns preview / Hired Guns Demo review (Long!)

Post by Bill Sharp-Smi » Tue, 18 May 1993 19:10:48

Whereabouts can I get the preview of Hired Guns??

--
Dwayne Lindner

AUGWA -Amiga Users Group of Western                (41:616/662.4000) AmigaNET
Australia                           Amiga CoSysop 1990 MultiLine BBS Perth WA
                                    11 gigs 32lines(+619)/(09)3703333 ADS/SAN

                     Amiga 4000/040 and PROUD OF IT!

Hired Guns preview / Hired Guns Demo review (Long!)

Post by Frantic Fred » Tue, 18 May 1993 19:50:34

Quote:>Whereabouts can I get the preview of Hired Guns??

The preview (article) was posted to this newsgroup about a week ago (by me).
If the article is already outdated on your newsreader, you can get a copy
from me.
The demo itself is available (as I mentioned in my preview) from
all the aminet sites (ftp.luth.se, litamiga.epfl.ch, ftp.wustl.edu, etc.
In your case, try splat.aarnet.edu.au)
Get the files /pub/aminet/game/demo/HiredGuns0-39.dms
          and /pub/aminet/game/demo/HiredGuns40-79.dms

and use the DMS program to unpack both to the same disk.

>--
>Dwayne Lindner

>AUGWA -Amiga Users Group of Western                (41:616/662.4000) AmigaNET
>Australia                           Amiga CoSysop 1990 MultiLine BBS Perth WA
>                                    11 gigs 32lines(+619)/(09)3703333 ADS/SAN
>                     Amiga 4000/040 and PROUD OF IT!

Have fun,

 Freddy

Post by Ole Andre Schist » Thu, 20 May 1993 12:30:39

:
: The 'real' end requires you to face something like Armageddon in the form
: of a room filled (and it's a LARGE room) with demons. The floor will be
: *covered* with the bodies of dead demons by the time you finish (or, more
: likely, dead _players_ the first time or two :-)
:
: If you want more info, I can tell you how to get there.
:

Yeah , I agree .. the last room is just sooo hard to pass . I zoom down there
in (almost) no time , but I always run out of ammo before I have the chance to
kill all the demons , and the fact that they keep throwing fireballs at me
doesn't exactly make it easier . I usually plant the proximity mines in front
of the door , but this only kills off a few of them. Also , it would be very
nice if it was possible for the medic to heal your characters from a distance,
since the *s come so fast that it's suicide to switch to the equipment
screen for a few seconds.

-=> Ole Andre Schistad <=-

Post by Andrew Chalme » Thu, 20 May 1993 15:38:24

|> Er... Let me guess, you've never seen a button that says "EXIT" have you? :)
|>
|> That lift you're talking about isn't anything..  The exit is through a
|> door on the other side of the chamber with the water in the middle.
|>
|> However, you'll have to look for it..  When you've found two doors in a
|> row you've found it..
|>
|> Good luck...  Hope you're good at side-stepping (manually).. :)
|>
|> ---

I've found Exit signs but I can't figure out where the exit is. I seem to be
missing one more security access card, for the room with the double doors, and
I can't work out how to get through those sheild barriers with the monsters on
the other side, or find my way across the room with the sheild barrier strips
across the floor. Either I've done something in the wrong order or I've missed
something.

Could Someone assist me with the next step, please!

--
Andrew Chalmers

Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing (CSSIP)
Signal Processing Research Institute (SPRI)
Univerity of South Australia
The Levels
Adelaide
SA 5095

1. hired guns preview /

YKW>        I have finished the 1 player version....  I had BLOWN ALL
YKW> THE MONSTERS TO BITS!!  I HAD ALL THE ACCESS CARDS!!  I ZOOMED
YKW> UP THE TURBOLIFT!!!!  I RAN THROUGH THE FINAL DOOR!!  AND I
YKW> RACED OUTSIDE TO FIND..........  ......a loaf of bread.
YKW>
YKW>        I went through all this just to find a friggin' loaf of
YKW> BREAD?!?!?  The ending to the 1-player version really sucked.  I
YKW> hope the 2-player demo has a better one.  :-) I'm sick of bread.

Did you blow it? You know it! Go back to the room with all the
blocks in it and push them around until you find the stairway to
the next level. The exit will be clearly labelled when you find
it. Lots more monsters to kill...

Enjoy

Owen

--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044

2. Problem passing args to function (hard)

3. Hired Guns review wan

4. XMS problems

5. Hired Guns - review wanted

6. Windows DEF-> OS/2 ?????

7. Hired Guns review wanted

8. Artesyn PM/PPC modules available

9. Who wanted the Hired Guns Demo walkthrough?

10. Help with Hired Guns Demo

11. hired guns demo

12. Hired Guns-demo--need advice

13. Hired Guns Demo Is Am