A4000 hangs - doesn't hang - hangs - etc.

A4000 hangs - doesn't hang - hangs - etc.

Post by Joona I Palast » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:53:20

My A4000 is having weird symptoms. Every second time I turn it on, it
hangs after a couple of minutes. Every second time I turn it on, it
stays successfully up for at least a month. I don't even have to open
up the case between reboots. What could be causing this?

"As we all know, the hardware for the PC is great, but the software sucks."
   - Petro Tyschtschenko

A4000 hangs - doesn't hang - hangs - etc.

Post by Gary Beet » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:26:59

Quote:> My A4000 is having weird symptoms. Every second time I turn it on, it
> hangs after a couple of minutes. Every second time I turn it on, it
> stays successfully up for at least a month. I don't even have to open
> up the case between reboots. What could be causing this?

Is it *roughly* every second boot or *exactly* every second boot?  If
"roughly" then I would guess you have a bad connection somewhere that
happens to become stable once your system reaches thermal equalibrium.
 Could be a connector or socketed chip that needs re-seating,  or it
could be a cold solder joint or flakey component.

If it happens exactly every second boot, then you have me baffled  :-(

--
Gary Beeton

Post by Joona I Palast » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:49:54

>> My A4000 is having weird symptoms. Every second time I turn it on, it
>> hangs after a couple of minutes. Every second time I turn it on, it
>> stays successfully up for at least a month. I don't even have to open
>> up the case between reboots. What could be causing this?
> Is it *roughly* every second boot or *exactly* every second boot?  If
> "roughly" then I would guess you have a bad connection somewhere that
> happens to become stable once your system reaches thermal equalibrium.
>  Could be a connector or socketed chip that needs re-seating,  or it
> could be a cold solder joint or flakey component.
> If it happens exactly every second boot, then you have me baffled  :-(

It is "roughly". This has been happening for the past half a year or so,
and as I said "roughly" every second boot allows me to run the computer
for over a month, so my sample is not large enough to deduce it is
*exactly* every second boot.

"He said: 'I'm not Elvis'. Who else but Elvis could have said that?"
   - ALF

A4000 hangs - doesn't hang - hangs - etc.

Post by Gl.. » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:38:45

Quote:> + On 10-Jun-03 08:53:20

Quote:>My A4000 is having weird symptoms. Every second time I turn it on, it
>hangs after a couple of minutes. Every second time I turn it on, it
>stays successfully up for at least a month. I don't even have to open
>up the case between reboots. What could be causing this?

I would guess Oxide..

Hmm.. wasnt it you that had problems with your oscillator before ?
that's a very very very common A4000 problem.. check that.. it usally
make the computer freeze, but also can make it crash..

--

| Apollo fastslot accelerators page - Http://www.canit.se/~glenn/apollo.html |

|      / __\ __                     | Homepage ?? http://www.canit.se/~glenn |

| (__/ /_ // / -_) _  ) _  )__)     | Amiga - Silicon Graphics - 8bit comps. |
|    \___//_/\__/_//_/_//_/         | T h e  K i n g d o m  o f  S w e d e n |

Post by Julian Cassi » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:35:56

> >> My A4000 is having weird symptoms. Every second time I turn it on, it
> >> hangs after a couple of minutes. Every second time I turn it on, it
> >> stays successfully up for at least a month. I don't even have to open
> >> up the case between reboots. What could be causing this?

> > Is it *roughly* every second boot or *exactly* every second boot?  If
> > "roughly" then I would guess you have a bad connection somewhere that
> > happens to become stable once your system reaches thermal equalibrium.
> >  Could be a connector or socketed chip that needs re-seating,  or it
> > could be a cold solder joint or flakey component.

> > If it happens exactly every second boot, then you have me baffled  :-(

> It is "roughly". This has been happening for the past half a year or so,
> and as I said "roughly" every second boot allows me to run the computer
> for over a month, so my sample is not large enough to deduce it is
> *exactly* every second boot.

> --

> | Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #108 D+ ADA N+++|
> | http://www.veryComputer.com/~palaste       W++ B OP+                     |
> \----------------------------------------- Finland rules! ------------/
> "He said: 'I'm not Elvis'. Who else but Elvis could have said that?"
>    - ALF

I actually have a similar problem, it will work flawlessly for 6 months,
then crash randomly for weeks on end, then work
flawlessly again at random for long periods of time..  I am using a
*storm PPC card and sometimes a well placed bit
of pressure fixes the problem, I have removed the 060 CPU and put it back in
and it also fixed the problem, however
now it works flawlessly, it is likely to annoy me again at some unknown time
in future.

I am told that is is possibly a dry joint, but every time I have the problem
I almost dedicate myself to having my good ol'
friend David to take a look at the next computer meeting, but then it just
works again for no obvious reason.

Can't wait until I can replace my trusty powered up A4000 with a new
alternative - perhaps a Mac running AmigaOS? (bernie?)

1. If you're on your own...hang on

I wish game makers would wake up and test thier products on the different
Amigas and then TELL US IF THEY WORK ON THEM!!!!!!!!  If you buy an Dos
game it has on the side 386,286,486 required.  Why can't the Amiga games
give sort of hint?  I hate the fact that I can buy a new game from my local
dist. and it won't play.  Pretty disappointing and a waste of my time,
expecially since they are atleast an hour & 1/2 to get there and back.
Thats doing 70 all the way.

I want to know if anyone out there with a 404 area code is interested in
playing POWERMONGER over the lines?  I love the game and would love to play
against real people.  The computer just isn't exciting anymore.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.995

2. DMA element counter, Texas 5402

3. HELP! My Cybervision hangs my A4000!!!

4. Line wrap in email app

5. Hanging up of A4000 sometimes

6. view an Access image field in frontpage

7. Kick Off III hangs on my A4000

8. VxWorks and M68302

9. Help: My A4000 Hangs up

10. Help with A4000/40 Hangs frequently