gcc vs Dice ?

Post by Gilles Pir » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 08:02:33

Hi !

    Is gcc really better than Dice ( without price questions ) ?
And then, why ?

Thanx and sorry for my bad english !

                 [  Gilles Pirio  ]    [  GeP  ]

--- A french guru of the Green-Ostrograsky theorem  //

gcc vs Dice ?

Post by Matthias Fleisch » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 19:19:28

>    Is gcc really better than Dice ( without price questions ) ?
>And then, why ?

Yes it is:
* gcc is a real C++ compiler
* it's one of the best optimizing compilers
* You get more code-generating options you ever wanted

Not it's not:
* You need lots of mem and HD space
* Your executables need this damned ixemul.library
* You need to strip out the debug-information to get small executables
|  The one using MS-DOS has *.BATs in his TowerPC.  |  (c) M. (Me) 1994       |
|  :-} :-} :-}     (This joke is mine, mine and only mine.)      {-: {-: {-:  |

gcc vs Dice ?

Post by Trent Tobl » Sun, 06 Mar 1994 05:25:00

: Hi !

:     Is gcc really better than Dice ( without price questions ) ?
: And then, why ?

Yes.  No.   It all depends on what you want.

I prefer GCC.  It has better optimization, with the capability of
cross-compiling, using Objective C, or C++, and support from a large
group of people who work on the GCC project.

Dice, on the other hand, doesn't require lots of disk-space, lots of memory
to run, and produces Amiga format object files directly.

Choose your flavor.

--

gcc vs Dice ?

Post by Christopher Creutz » Mon, 07 Mar 1994 23:34:21

[gcc]
MF> * Your executables need this damned ixemul.library

 Have you ever heard of gerlib? With it, you don't need the
ixemul.library any more.

MF> * You need to strip out the debug-information to get small executables

* How do you perform a _geta4 in gcc to code a hook?

---

GCS/M/MU/S d? p- c++(+++) !l e* m++ s++/ !n h- f+ !g w++ t-- r++ y?

gcc vs Dice ?

Post by Leonard Norrga » Mon, 07 Mar 1994 05:26:40

> >    Is gcc really better than Dice ( without price questions ) ?
> >And then, why ?

> Yes it is:
> * gcc is a real C++ compiler

It's also a real C compiler, a real Objective C compiler and soon ADA (GNATS),
Pascal (GPC), Fortran (G77)...

Quote:> * it's one of the best optimizing compilers
> * You get more code-generating options you ever wanted

> Not it's not:
> * You need lots of mem and HD space

Well, if you are serious about software, this is not a problem.

Quote:> * Your executables need this damned ixemul.library

This is not true.  You can use any C library, for example the PDC
library or Gerlib libraries, both available for ftp.  Thus, your
executables do not use ixemul.library, unless you want them to.
  (Personally, I think ixemul.library is a rather useful library that
saves memory for me too, as I don't have to waste good memory by
having to have the exact same C library functions multiple times in
memory whenever I run several programs at once, ie. always).
  The next amiga version will hopefully make it much easier to switch
between using Ixemul, Gerlib, PDC and other libraries.

Quote:> * You need to strip out the debug-information to get small executables

Debug info is *not* inserted in the executables by default.  To get
debug info in the executable, use "gcc -g ...".  Amiga GCC versions up
to 2.5.8 did however always produce a symbol hunk (the equivalent
behaviour of xLINK ADDSYM).  Starting next version, the default is to
not add the symbol hunk to the executable (like other Amiga
compilers), while the symbol hunk is still available, if the user want it.

-- vinsci

1. GCC vs DICE vs SAS C

Could someone post a side by side comparison between the 3 major C compilers?

Thanks.

Dennis Grant                  Amiga 4000/030/6/120/40Mhz '882/IDEK 17" monitor

Charlottetown, PEI, Canada    There ain't no replacement for cubic displacement

2. Realtime.library questions

3. DICE vs GCC

4. Stylus 800 color : Printing Speed?

5. gcc vs. gcc ?!?!

6. Mysterious Open UDP Ports

7. SAS/C vs. gcc vs. StormC

8. Katmai "MMX2" Info?

9. DICE, GCC, or SAS/C ??

10. GCC/Dice

11. Source level debugger for DICE or gcc

12. Question about GCC and DICE?