Amiga Marketing

Post by jrstr » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

        Marketing the Amiga is gonna be a serious chore.  Advertizing the
machine will not do any good if people can't go out and get one, or see a demo
of it.
        The Amiga needs at least one major US outlet, the best way to do that
is to make them available at Wal-Mart.  That would put them in over 2000
locations nationwide, and also in canada, and puerto rico.  Not to mention we
would not be paying inflated prices for the machines.
        If something is wrong with one take it to Wal-Mart and let customer
service do thier job.

        Only after the Amiga is at least available should AT bother
advertizing it, knowing full well, that the ads would get attention and then
people would at least look when they went shopping, and there the computer
would be.
        They look at the computers available on the shelf at Wal-Mart, and ask
many different questions:

1)  What would be the best one for accessing the Internet?
        The associate replies, "The Amiga Netsurfer comes with everything you
need for accessing the net for only $xxx!  which is hundreds, and even
thousands less than the other machines we carry, while still providing all the
power and tools you need."

2)  What's the most powerful computer you have?
        "Well, that's the PowerAmiga, the computer that has the most stable
multitasking system since 1985, and is powered by a PPC chip which allows you
to emultate many other platforms, and there are other emulators which allow
you to emulate practially any computer platform there is."

3)  My business uses 2 computers, a mac and an IBM, is there any way I can get
a computer that will be able to use programs for both?

    OR:  my kid uses Mac at school and the computer at work is an IBM.

4)  I am just thinking about getting a computer to get started with, is there
one that would not be too expensive and still be useful?
        "The Amiga 1200+ is only $4xx dollars, and can do everything the
expensive ones can, for only a fraction of the price."

        The Amiga is clearly the choice for a variety of people who don't
already have Amiga's, with the most powerful personal OS/GUI, and user
friendly.  The only problem is that it cannot be PRESENTED.  They have to see
to believe.

* Amiga - You owe a lot to it, whether you use one or not! The first *
* and still the best personal computer multitasking operating system *
* available.  By which all others are measured!                      *
* Windoze95 = Amiga '85                                              *
* OS/2 = AmigaOS/4                                                   *
* (Wanna)Be OS = WannaBe Amiga                                       *
* Coming Soon:  Amiga PPC !!!                                        *
* The All powerful OS gets the All powerful CPU !!!                  *

                         AKA: codesmith on IRC

Amiga Marketing

Post by Mark Word » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

:         Marketing the Amiga is gonna be a serious chore.  Advertizing the
: machine will not do any good if people can't go out and get one, or
: see a demo : of it.
:         The Amiga needs at least one major US outlet, the best way to
: do that is to make them available at Wal-Mart.  That would put them in
: over 2000 locations nationwide, and also in canada, and puerto rico.  Not
: to mention we : would not be paying inflated prices for the machines.
:         If something is wrong with one take it to Wal-Mart and let
: customer service do thier job.

Hey, let's get some input here...

What would it take to get the Amiga into Wal-Mart?

Here in Newfoundland (Canada) there is currently NO Amiga dealer, and
there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in even considering it.  I've
contacted two computer dealers here that at one time carried the Amiga,
but they're not even interested in bringing it back.  GAK!

I know that there are still a number of Amiga users here in this
province, but still it's only a handful, and I guess in a sense the
companies I talked with were right in not considering it for lack of a
substantial market.  But Wal-Mart is here now (took over Woolco about
two years ago) and I'd love to see them carry the Amiga, and I'd like it
even better if I could be one of their reps (hey, I'm currently
unemployed).  I think that given a chance, interest in the Amiga will
grow, but for starters, I'd say there has to be packages (i.e. A1200)
that are low-cost, like the Internet-in-a-box thing.  For example, someone
who doesn't have a computer yet in their home wants to get started and
have access to the Internet so they can e-mail their son or daughter in
Ontario who is going to college.  Put these puppies on display...run
demos on them...set up games that people can play...set up a simple MIDI
system where a potential customer can be given a very quick crash course
in music and computers...set up a 24-bit video digitizer and a camera and
capture children's faces, then do special effects on the screen...so on
and so on...The Amiga does so well at these things.

What do you often see when you enter a PC dealer's store?  A bunch of
PC's running graphics demos, playing some sound effects or music.  But
that's about it.  With the Amiga, we should take a different
approach...get the people interacting with the computer so they remember
it better.  Hand out brochures on the system's features, hand out a few
T-shirts, caps, or mugs...I don't know, I'm just trying to get ideas
going.

Anyway, after babbling on like this, the main question I want to ask is,
How do we get Wal-Mart to look at selling the Amiga?  Do we have to leave
it up to Amiga Technologies to approach them, or do we all write
Wall-Mart and ask them ourselves?  This is a serious question...I need to
know or the Amiga may never come back to Newfoundland.

Thanks for reading.

  Mark Worden                       Coming together is a beginning;

  St. John's, Newfoundland              working together is success.
  Canada

Amiga Marketing

Post by Steven Folbe » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey, let's get some input here...
>What would it take to get the Amiga into Wal-Mart?

[major snipping....]  ;^)

>Anyway, after babbling on like this, the main question I want to ask is,
>How do we get Wal-Mart to look at selling the Amiga?  Do we have to leave
>it up to Amiga Technologies to approach them, or do we all write
>Wall-Mart and ask them ourselves?  This is a serious question...I need to
>know or the Amiga may never come back to Newfoundland.
>Thanks for reading.
>--
>  Mark Worden                       Coming together is a beginning;

>  St. John's, Newfoundland              working together is success.
>  Canada

Well, according to CNN this morning, Wal-Mart and Microsoft are entering into
a WalMart shop-at-home-on-the-Internet cooperative venture within the next few
months.  Seems Gates and the CEO of WalMart are big buddies.

Yikes... makes the prospect of Amigas in WalMart seem even less likely,
don't you think?

Steve Folberg

Amiga Marketing

Post by David Templet » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>Hey, let's get some input here...
>>What would it take to get the Amiga into Wal-Mart?
>[major snipping....]  ;^)
>>Anyway, after babbling on like this, the main question I want to ask
>>is, How do we get Wal-Mart to look at selling the Amiga?  Do we have
>>to leave it up to Amiga Technologies to approach them, or do we all
>>write Wall-Mart and ask them ourselves?  This is a serious
>>question...I need to know or the Amiga may never come back to
>>Newfoundland.

  We don't want the Amiga sold at WallyWorld.  Look at the product
lines carried by Wal-Mart.  El-Cheapo crap!  Murrey lawnmowers,
Weedeater brand and worst of all Packard Bell PC's.  What ever Wal-
Mart touches goes to shit!  The quality would be out of the Amiga in a
very short time given any association with Wal-Mart.

Quote:>Well, according to CNN this morning, Wal-Mart and Microsoft are
>entering into a WalMart shop-at-home-on-the-Internet cooperative
>venture within the next few months.  Seems Gates and the CEO of
>WalMart are big buddies.

       Very good for Amigians, Macaphiles and anyone except Microslop
and Packard Bell.  <see above comment>

Quote:>Yikes... makes the prospect of Amigas in WalMart seem even less
>likely, don't you think?

    Excellent!

--

Member <TEAM AMIGA>

ATHEISM: A non-prophet organization.

1. Network computers...The next Amiga market?

Well as a PC and Unix user, I've been sitting here watching
the flames fly by from some of my less thoughtfull NT/Unix
family to the Amiga faithful.  Everyone keeps arguing about
whether or not the Amiga can "catch up" to the Microsoft
monster.  People on both sides, however, seem to miss the
point that we are in the middle of a paradigm shift in the
computing world.  A shift that ALMOST caught Bill Gates
flatfooted, and that he's still having trouble riding.

I'm talking about the shift from ever more powerful
(and ever more bloated) desktop machines to leaner, more
functional network ones.  With the growth of platform
independent programming systems such as Java, whether
or not something is "Microsoft compatible" is becoming
a thing of the past.  People want web connectivity and are
settling for junky "web-TV's".  What would happen, if
instead the Amiga manufactures pushed the equivalent
of an Amiga 500 with a faster processor, some more
memory, modem and ethernet ready and optimized to
run Java?   Let's say the sold it for about $200.00?
Then let's say this machine was actually MARKETED?
There is a narrow window of opportunity on this.
Commodore missed the re-emergence of the video
game market by coming too late with their CD32 and
not marketing it well (not to mention charging to much
for the development tools).  Had someone pushed this
RIGHT when the web was becoming popular, and
before the price of a decent PC dropped below $1000,
things could be looking quite a bit different by now.
But it's still not too late.  Many schools are looking
to have computers in every classroom.  But priced
and marketed right, they might go for an Amiga on
every desk.

--
******************************
Remove the "nospam" from my email to reply

2. Major bug in upgrade for Client Access from V3R1 to V3R7

3. Gateway + Amiga marketing

4. Help on WYSE 50 to use PHONE/TALK

5. Team17 & The Amiga Market, Bigger Proces

6. database URL / JDBC connection trouble

7. Team17 & The Amiga Market, Bigger Proc

8. Team17 & The Amiga Market, Bigger Processors Etc.

9. Software Etc. out of Amiga market

10. Leaving Amiga market--clearance sale

11. (Re: State of Amiga Market - LONG