Possible Workbench Changes?

Post by Randy Gau » Fri, 09 Dec 1994 18:01:51

Would it be possible to make the following changes to workbench:
(1) Add an update for the actual workbench-level icons,
    so if they are newicons and I change prefs, they will
    look OK?
(2) Make the "hsparwed" part of the view by name/size/date in
    a drawer actually toggle when clicked on?  And clicking on
    the date could "touch" the file so it gets set to Today?
(3) Add a restrict_view option to files since a certain date,
    or larger than a certain size, or ending in .lha or whatever
    so that only those files get displayed inside drawer windows?
(4) Add a "show .info" part so that files and their icons
    are displayed separately and can be manipulated separately?

I would try to do it myself, but I can't.  So I put my
wish list here, hoping someone might think there's at least
one good idea in there.

--

Post by Steve Cutti » Sun, 11 Dec 1994 10:23:03

> Would it be possible to make the following changes to workbench:
> (1) Add an update for the actual workbench-level icons,
>     so if they are newicons and I change prefs, they will
>     look OK?
> (2) Make the "hsparwed" part of the view by name/size/date in
>     a drawer actually toggle when clicked on?  And clicking on
>     the date could "touch" the file so it gets set to Today?
> (3) Add a restrict_view option to files since a certain date,
>     or larger than a certain size, or ending in .lha or whatever
>     so that only those files get displayed inside drawer windows?
> (4) Add a "show .info" part so that files and their icons
>     are displayed separately and can be manipulated separately?
> I would try to do it myself, but I can't.  So I put my
> wish list here, hoping someone might think there's at least
> one good idea in there.

Yep there is. I think it'd be good if you could view files in a window
more selectively, maybe by date/size/pattern matching etc. Also it'd
be nice if text filenames were actually displayed as text, instead
of being rendered as icons. At the moment if you try and read a
huge directory in a WB window it takes ages and consumes TONS of
chip RAM. I don't know how it would be done, after all the filenames
must still behave like icons when clicked/dragged etc. Maybe WB
could just convert the text filenames to icons on the fly as you
click on them ???  Dunno :-(

Also real-time sliders would be nice, so that the lists scrolled
as you move the drag-bar.

Steve :-)

Post by Andre' Bart » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:03:23

>Yep there is. I think it'd be good if you could view files in a window
>more selectively, maybe by date/size/pattern matching etc. Also it'd

I'd like to see directorys have&save their own individual patternmatching,
say stored in a file(something like '.patternmatch'). That way when I use
a file requestor it loads the right patterns for that particular directory
and gives me the choice to cycle(gadget or hotkey)though several different
(*commonly used!,for that directory*)pattern matchs. Then I can quickly/
easly find that .dat/.s/.c/.iff/.idat/.mod/.med/.mdat/.ilf/.bin/.snd/.txt/
etc....etc.. file.

Cheers,
--

Amiga5001meg+GVPII+2meg             Be Vigilant
Amiga1200                           Most of all Behave! ..Torquemada2000AD

Post by Andrew Savo » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 04:52:31

> Would it be possible to make the following changes to workbench:
> I would try to do it myself, but I can't.  So I put my
> wish list here, hoping someone might think there's at least
> one good idea in there.

While we're doing wishlists, here's my favourite request:
Why not have an extended filetype system like on the acorn, so that when
you set a file to type eg. MOD, a nice music related icon appears, and the
same for different types. A program to search through and assign the
correct type to icons would be good too.

Andrew.

Possible Workbench Changes?

Post by jan.lucen.. » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 15:43:19

There exist a program that should assign diffrent icons to
different file types (if I understood the explanation correctly).
I have, however, not yet tried it out. It is names

addinfo14.lha

BTW what irritates me is that some programs, e.g. term assigns
icons which when you click them only make your system complain
"this file have no default tool". They are also made so that it
is impossible to set any default tool or to execute them from
workbench. It would be of course even worse if the files were
executed automatically, but this seems still like "over defense".
I hope addinfo does not create that kind of icons.

--
    _/        _/    _/   _/_/_/     _/_/_/    _/_/_/_/    Jan Lucenius
   _/        _/    _/  _/         _/         _/           phone +358-0-4566511

Possible Workbench Changes?

Post by David Edwar » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 02:38:33

I'd quite like to see some way of locking/unlocking icon positions in a
window, so you can still drag icons from a window to another window, but
if you let go of them while still in the original, they just zip back to
their original position. This would remove the age old problem of
clicking too enthusiastically on an icon and finding that you've shifted
it's position.

 --
              _ _
   ==========////====================================================

   ====\XXX/=========================================================

1. changing SCSI unit ID of a Oktagon2008? Possible?

Gidday...

Does anyone with an O2008 know how to change the unit ID of it from
7 to 6?  The software that comes with it (OktagonPrefs?) has a spot
that you can select it.  But even if you change it here, save it,
and reboot....it still comes up as 7!  It's like it doesn't care if
you change it.  Or is there a step that I'm missing here?

Can anyone help out with this?

-DP

2. Replication and thread priority

3. See/change CD without cold start/reboot? Possible?

4. 675 CBOS 2.3.5 NAT problem

5. Notifying Workbench of Icon changes

6. ASketch=>ACAD/LT, How?

7. Changing workbench scren's title

8. tables spanning several pages

9. Possible Workbench Ch

10. Live video on Workbench possible?

11. multiple workbench screens possible?

12. Intel changes it tune (Now Wintel change

13. Possible addition to possible newsgroup FAQ!