Clock Chip failure

Post by Ken Crepp » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

A friend of mine is using an Amiga 2000. Over the weekend, either his
clock chip or his battery failed. At first he thought that his WordPerfect
had become corrupt, but it appears that it is the only piece of software
he has that is date sensitive.

My Question:

It's been so long since I've had an Amiga, that this old brain of mine
can't remember if it is a battery or not. Can the battery be changed? If
it is the clock chip (probably not since we reset it with SetClock, and it
keeps time as long as the system is left running) is it socketed.

If it is indeed a battery, how does on change it?

Thanks

Ken

PS It was great getting to know a real operating system again. Didn't
realize how much of a pleasure AmigaDOS was!

Clock Chip failure

Post by D.Reynold » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> A friend of mine is using an Amiga 2000. Over the weekend, either his
> clock chip or his battery failed. At first he thought that his WordPerfect
> had become corrupt, but it appears that it is the only piece of software
> he has that is date sensitive.

> My Question:

> It's been so long since I've had an Amiga, that this old brain of mine
> can't remember if it is a battery or not. Can the battery be changed? If
> it is the clock chip (probably not since we reset it with SetClock, and it
> keeps time as long as the system is left running) is it socketed.

> If it is indeed a battery, how does on change it?

> Thanks

> Ken

> PS It was great getting to know a real operating system again. Didn't
> realize how much of a pleasure AmigaDOS was!

Ken,

I just replaced the battery in my A2000. It's pretty easy if you
know how to solder. You will need to completely disassamble the machine.
The battery is on the motherboard right near were the keyboard plugs in.
Test yours with a meter first before replacing it. It is a 3.6v nicad.
If it is less than 2.8v I'd replace it

Check here:

http://www.jameco.com/
800 831-4242

The part # is 119116 and costs $3.95 + shipping.

I received mine the next day after I ordered it.
It works like a champ!

--
Dan Reynolds, NLE Editor, Flyer SIG Support
Lightwave, Toaster, Flyer Group of Los Angeles.