Commodore Internation

Post by Scott Sawy » Mon, 02 May 1994 06:56:00

Quote:>   Guys, this refers to Commodore International, Ltd.  In other words,
>Commodore UK, Commodore Asia/Pacific, Commodore Canada, Commodore Germany,
>etc...  are ALL going out of business.  When the parent company folds,
>the subsidiries have no choice but to go under.  The parent company is
>in charge of manufacturing of current systems and development of future
>systems, and without the parent company, the subsidiaries have NOTHING to
>sell.

Yup.  Sure is!  Do you know what?  I don't feel sad at all.  Except for all
of the employees of Commodore.

Now the Amiga can live up to it's full potential.  Liquidation means "sale
of EVERYTHING."  That means the Amiga, the only real thing of value that
Commodore has.

I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

-Scott Sawyer

President,                                               -Amiga RULES!-

* Offline Orbit 0.20c (beta) *

Commodore Internation

Post by Neil J. McRa » Tue, 03 May 1994 13:01:23

: >   Guys, this refers to Commodore International, Ltd.  In other words,
: >Commodore UK, Commodore Asia/Pacific, Commodore Canada, Commodore Germany,
: >etc...  are ALL going out of business.  When the parent company folds,
: >the subsidiries have no choice but to go under.  The parent company is
: >in charge of manufacturing of current systems and development of future
: >systems, and without the parent company, the subsidiaries have NOTHING to
: >sell.

: Yup.  Sure is!  Do you know what?  I don't feel sad at all.  Except for all
: of the employees of Commodore.

: Now the Amiga can live up to it's full potential.  Liquidation means "sale
: of EVERYTHING."  That means the Amiga, the only real thing of value that
: Commodore has.

: I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

Hahaha No one is going to but the Amiga,

The Chipset maybe but not the Amiga,

time to be realists folks,

Neil,

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

Commodore Internation

Post by Asbesto » Tue, 03 May 1994 15:44:09

>I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

Microsoft!

Now wouldn't that be interesting...
--
The past is another country; they do things differently there.

Commodore Internation

Post by Matthias Meixn » Wed, 04 May 1994 00:13:58

: >I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

: Microsoft!

No, AmigaOS is too fast for them. They would have to put some waiting-loops
in the sourcecode to see how it works ...

: Now wouldn't that be interesting...

--

- Matthias Meixner

    main(){long a=2,b=1;for(;a<1e2;a%b--||(b=a++))b-1||printf("%d",a);}

Commodore Internation

Post by C.P. Bro » Wed, 04 May 1994 01:33:06

|> >I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!
|>
|> Microsoft!

Hey! That's not funny, don't scare me like that.

--

 \\ //  Cambridge University Computer Society discounts officer
  \X/ Resistance is futile, you will be assimulated by the Bill.

Commodore Internation

Post by Martin C » Wed, 04 May 1994 08:23:50

Quote:>: I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!
>Hahaha No one is going to but the Amiga,
>The Chipset maybe but not the Amiga,
>time to be realists folks,

While I don't normally join in such fun discussions, I'd have to agree.

Who would be likely to buy the Amiga and/or it's chipset?  Lot's of
(IMO) stupid names have been put forth, with only two really likely
candidates.

NewTek. Well they must be using the Amiga for something in those Toasters
right?  Assuming they are for the moment (I'm not technically up on the
Toaster admittedly), then what they need is the custom chippery.  They
*don't* need an Amiga style box with keyboard etc.  Heck, they'd probably
be better off without the hassle of needing the Amiga as such. After all,
they could then produce "real" Mac Toasters.  Regardless, if NewTek bought
the rights to the chipset then the Amiga as we know it ceases to exist.  It
becomes solely a Toaster beast.

HP.  Much the same really. HP don't want a "computer".  They want a set-top
toy.  They may well like to have the Amiga chipset in their set-top device,
but it isn't going to be an Amiga.

Either way, the Amiga dies.  The chipset *may* live on.  But if you want
a Toaster or a set-top beast then you'll probably need a real computer too.
And the Amiga won't be it.

Don't get me wrong. I like my Amiga. I'll hang on to it for a few months yet.
But the Amiga is *dead*. C= is *dead*.  The s'ware will dry up - not
immediately, sure.  But not in the far distant future either.  You want to
be using the Amiga in the state the C64 is now? Fine.  I think it's time
to start looking at alternatives.

If any of you have a *realistic* theory on how the Amiga is going to survive
then I'd be interested to hear it - as would we all I think.  But "heads in
the sand" is what got C= into this - it ain't going to get the Amiga out.

Martin.
(Who still owns his Amiga, and intends to hang on while the s'ware holds out.

Commodore Internation

Post by Dean Ridgw » Wed, 04 May 1994 03:54:25

>Now the Amiga can live up to it's full potential.  Liquidation means "sale
>of EVERYTHING."  That means the Amiga, the only real thing of value that
>Commodore has.

>I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

Not necessarily, industry is full of suppressed inovations.  What if IBM or
Apple buys the rights to the Amiga just so they can shelve it to get it out
of the marketplace.  This strategy happens all the time to eliminate
competition.  Remember thats why CBM bought out the original Amiga company
in the first place.  Commodore did market the Amiga, but thats no guarantee
that whoever gets the technology now will continue.

We're not out of the woods yet...

             | CIS 73225,512       |

Treason (n) Betrayal of trust or allegiance owed to one's sovereign or state;
 betrayal of one's country: the Constitution of the United States (Article III,
 Section 3) declares, "Treason against the United States shall consist only in
 levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid
 and comfort." - SYN. see NAFTA.

Commodore Internation

Post by Paul van der H » Wed, 04 May 1994 23:17:24

 : >I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

 : Microsoft!
 : Now wouldn't that be interesting...

If you objectively think of it it might not even be THAT bad.. Many of
the ideas behind MS products are actually decent and could easily be
realised on the Amiga (much easier as they are on the PC). With the
proper hardware onder their wings MS just MIGHT be able to produce a
REAL multimedia wizzbox..

Besides with owning the Amiga they could claim to own the hardware which
put multimedia on the map ..:) and sue everyone's ass for using the term
multimedia :)

--

          Paul 'Starchild' van der Heu, The MotherShip Connection

            Something is about to happen... Something wonderful

Commodore Internation

Post by Kris Laws » Thu, 05 May 1994 03:14:41

Quote:

>I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

Who's going to buy???

HP: They have their own machines, and license to AAA. No interest.
Silicon Graphics: They have theor own graphics machines, which are far
superior to Amigas. No interest
3do: They want to develop 3do. Only interest in chips.
Atari: They have the falcon and Jaguar technology. No interest in amiga.
Newtek etc.: No money. Interest, but nothing thhey can do.

Sorry about this, but this is true. If someone actually DOES buy, I think
it will be HP.
--
Kristoffer Lawson

-
Even before the beginning and after the end time is still only time.

Commodore Internation

Post by GB » Fri, 06 May 1994 07:00:10

Hello Kris Lawson, In a message of 03 May 94, you wrote to All:

 KL> sanoo:
 >> I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

 KL> Who's going to buy???

 KL> HP: They have their own machines, and license to AAA. No interest.
 KL> Silicon Graphics: They have theor own graphics machines, which are far
 KL> superior to Amigas. No interest
 KL> 3do: They want to develop 3do. Only interest in chips. Atari: They have
 KL> the falcon and Jaguar technology. No interest in amiga. Newtek etc.: No
 KL> money. Interest, but nothing thhey can do.

Rediculous. Absolute nonsense. Even a sausage maker would be interested in
buying something that sells, whatever it is, if they have enough cash to push
it.

Gilles Bourdin Paris FAX(331)46266261

Commodore Internation

Post by Michael A. Kreh » Sat, 07 May 1994 02:05:58

Well... he was talking about Re: Commodore Internation.
Let's go answer him, won't we?

PH>  : >I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!
PH>
PH>  : Microsoft!
PH>  : Now wouldn't that be interesting...
PH>
PH> If you objectively think of it it might not even be THAT bad.. Many of
PH> the ideas behind MS products are actually decent and could easily be
PH> realised on the Amiga (much easier as they are on the PC).

YUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!

Are you aware of what you are writing there???...

Ugh if MS really happens to buy the Amiga, I'll follow Kurt Cobain's fate.
Or maybe not?

- MILKA -

OS/2 : Half an operating system

Commodore Internation

Post by Zsolt Sza » Sun, 08 May 1994 02:15:07

>>I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!

>Microsoft!

Realize that if they bought it, the a bright future would be guaranteed.
No matter how bad a product is, Microsoft will sell it (which is not to
say that the Amiga is bad; I meant its reputation).

--
I own an orphan computer.

Commodore Internation

Post by Asbesto » Sun, 08 May 1994 09:25:41

>>>I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!
>>Microsoft!
>Realize that if they bought it, the a bright future would be guaranteed.
>No matter how bad a product is, Microsoft will sell it (which is not to

Yeah, but the first thing they'll do is port Windows to the Amiga,
then make sure the old software won't run with the new hardware.
They've had plenty of experience at something similar.

--
We are so fond of each other because our ailments are the same. -- Swift

Commodore Internation

Post by Ian Kenne » Wed, 11 May 1994 06:00:28

>: >I can't wait to see who buys the Amiga.  This is going to be fun!
>: Microsoft!
>No, AmigaOS is too fast for them. They would have to put some waiting-loops
>in the sourcecode to see how it works ...

Hey man! It's not fast enough for some of us! :-)

Ian.
P.S. If the Amiga is saved by a decent company and marketed by them in
an agressive manner (Samsung is the current rumor on Compuserve)
I pledge to get a new Amiga and rejoin the ranks of Amiga users
everyehere!
|Dell 466v/450HD/16RAM/ATI-GUP2M/SB16/DSMS-CD/NT                             |