January 1991 BADGE Meeting Announcement

Post by Thad P Flory » Tue, 15 Jan 1991 14:10:49

My apologies if this seems like I'm bypassing "official" channels, but
SOMETHING is screwed with email and/or news.  Been trying to get this out
for 4 days now, and all seems "lost" in the net, not even a bounce.  Email

seems to be getting misdirected, and no email is coming back to me.  Due to
the time sensitivity of this announcement I cannot wait any longer ...

--------------------

BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park (just
north (logical east) of I-280) on Thursday, Jan. 17, 1991.  Admission is free.
Everyone is welcome to attend although the meetings are oriented to the Amiga
developer community.

Opening the meeting will be Mike (Real Amigas Have Keyboard Garages) Meyer.

The featured speaker is Mike Meyer, discussing the design of ARexx
interfaces.

Identify yourself at SLAC's guard booth as a BADGE attendee and park in the
visitors' lot to the right, then walk across the driveway to the Auditorium.

For those arriving from out-of-town, Palo Alto is the nearest major city.  SLAC
is 20-30 minutes from either the San Francisco or San Jose airports.  For those
who've asked: SLAC == Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, the home of Amiga VLT
and Willy Langeveld (VLT's author and BIX's Amiga Forum Co-Moderator).

The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:

        Multitasking-friendly game design techniques.

For more information, contact:

        work: +1 (408) 985-7100 (M-F 11a-7p PST), or
        home: +1 (415) 961-5157 (M-F  9p-3a PST, and weekends)

January 1991 BADGE Meeting Announcement

Post by Adam Hi » Tue, 15 Jan 1991 20:38:53

Quote:>The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:

>    Multitasking-friendly game design techniques.

    ------------------------------------^   (Huzzah!!! Huzzah!!)

    Now video tape the talk and mail it to all game houses.

  Seriously though if Mike has a set of notes I know some people that would
be interested in obtaining a copy. (paper or video tape, with a intelligeble
sound track of course!!)

--
 adam hill

                                                   Amiga... Multimedia NOW
 Most Common Phrase at DevCon '90 - "Shhhhhhh.."

January 1991 BADGE Meeting Announcement

Post by Dave P. Schauma » Tue, 15 Jan 1991 23:13:22

Quote:>BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
>at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park (just
>north (logical east) of I-280) on Thursday, Jan. 17, 1991.  Admission is free.
>Everyone is welcome to attend although the meetings are oriented to the Amiga
>developer community.

I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more limited
distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from Texas.  I might
drive 100 miles if I was desperate to go to a users group meeting (that would
about take me to Phoenix), but certainly not however far it is to San Francisco
from here...

>For more information, contact:

>    work: +1 (408) 985-7100 (M-F 11a-7p PST), or
>    home: +1 (415) 961-5157 (M-F  9p-3a PST, and weekends)

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;

                                                -Daffy Duck.

Post by Allen Bro » Thu, 17 Jan 1991 08:46:29

> BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991
> meeting at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road,

>> I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more
>> limited distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from
>> Dave Schaumann

Agreed.  And is it really necessary to crosspost it to so many groups?
I guess those of you who are reading this thru news only have to see
it once.  But guys like me who are stuck with notes see it pop up in
every group.  You got into comp.amiga.announce.  What more did you
need?

I voted against a bunch of the new groups because I expected this to
happen.  If there was no crossposting I would have voted for almost
all of the groups.
--

            or hplabs!hpcvca!abrown or "Hey you!"
  Not representing my employer.

January 1991 BADGE Meeting Announcement

Post by Thad P Flory » Thu, 17 Jan 1991 02:27:03

:
+ >BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
+ [...]
+ I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more limite
+ distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from Texas.  I migh
+ drive 100 miles if I was desperate to go to a users group meeting (that would
+ about take me to Phoenix), but certainly not however far it is to San
+ Francisco from here...

This question surfaces every 6 months or so.  People DO come from out-of-state
and from out-of-country to the meetings.  The announcement would have been (and
now is) in comp.sys.amiga.announce, but there were (are?) some connectivity
problems between the SF Bay Area and Davis and, as I prefixed the announcement,
the time-sensitivity necessitated my posting to this newsgroup this time.

Prior years' public explanations for the BADGE Meeting distribution seemed to
have rubbed some people the wrong way, so if you want a copy of the explanation
send me email; be forewarned there are still some email problems in and out of
PORTAL since the switch to Internet distribution earlier this month.

Post by Mike Farr » Wed, 23 Jan 1991 00:08:07

>>The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:
>  Seriously though if Mike has a set of notes I know some people that would
>be interested in obtaining a copy. (paper or video tape, with a intelligeble
>sound track of course!!)

Remind me via email in March, and I'll get you a copy of any notes I make.
Video tape is unlikely (I'm sure not going to do it, although anyone else
is free to).  I will not, under ANY circumstances, make a paper tape of
my notes :-)
--

Post by Robert Gutierr » Sat, 18 May 1991 14:55:52

> > BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991
> > meeting at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road,

> >> I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more
> >> limited distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from

I think Thad has explained this in the past, but as a former customer
of Portal Communcations (ie: "cup.portal.com" where he posts from), you
cannot restrict distribution, since you don't have access to the article
header at all when you compose a post at Portal, unlike most of us who
use rn/rrn/xrn/*rn/emacs-news/etc...

Portal uses a front end on their Sun-3's to hide any sembelance of a unix
system, making it look exactly like a BBS system when you dial up to it.
You don't have any choice in this.

I think people should be offering to make the posting for Thad with proper
distribution access, or make an alias on their machine to to exactly
that.  Maybe this should also be in some FAQ???

   robert

1. BADGE Meeting Announcement for June 1991

BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its June 1991 meeting
at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park (just
north (logical east) of I-280) on Thursday, June 20, 1991.  Admission is free.
Everyone is welcome to attend although the meetings are oriented to the Amiga
developer community.

The featured speaker is "To Be Announced" (in a followup short posting) pending
clearance (hopefully by Monday, June 17).

Time (and equipment! :-) permitting, the conclusion of last month's talk by
Valentin Pepelea (of Accolade (formerly of Commodore)) on "Virtual Memory
Techniques in AmigaDOS" will feature the actual demonstration.

A "Random Access" session after the featured presentation(s) provides YOU the
opportunity to spend a few minutes discussing your present Amiga projects and
activities!

Speakers are needed for future meetings, and volunteer help is needed to follow
through with speakers' commitments and to seek out and schedule speakers.

BADGE meetings are the third Thursday of every month, and BADGE has the SLAC
Auditorium available for at least the remainder of 1991 although the August
meeting will be hosted elsewhere due to the Annual SLAC Summer Institute.

Identify yourself at SLAC's guard booth as a BADGE attendee and park in the
visitors' lot to the right, then walk across the driveway to the Auditorium.

For those arriving from out-of-town, Palo Alto is the nearest major city.  SLAC
is 20-30 minutes from either the San Francisco or San Jose airports.  For those
who've asked: SLAC == Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, the home of Amiga VLT
and Willy Langeveld (VLT's author and BIX's Amiga Forum Co-Moderator).

        work: +1 (408) 985-7100 (M-F 11a-7p PDT), or
        home: +1 (415) 961-5157 (M-F  9p-2a PDT, and weekends)

2. Earth calling Mars

3. BADGE Speaker Announced for June 1991 meeting

4. SAS 8.2 for Windows

5. March 1991 BADGE Meeting notice

6. Device driver for NE2000 ?

7. Feb 1991 BADGE Meeting Notice

8. BlackBerry Web Client coming this Spring

9. Amiga OS in `Byte' January 1991

10. WTB: AC's Tech January, 1991!

11. Report on Firebug Meeting and Euro Meeting announcement

12. BADGE Meetings.

13. BADGE meetings and FEES, etc. (was: Re: FUTURE OF AMIGA)