New Hard-drive... please help!

Post by Arjo Rozenda » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In a message of 15 Dec 95 Daniel Smith wrote to All:

 DS> I have just invested in a 1 gig. SCSI hard-drive. The problem is
 DS> installing it. :(

 DS> I have a GVP HD8+ Impact Series II Controller. I got a SCSI connecting
 DS> lead (25 pin->50 pin).

 DS> So, I switched the machine on... what happens? Well, nothing much at all
 DS> actually. The drive light of my GVP drive is constantly on, and the
 DS> machine is frozen.

Well I only know GVP doesn't always accept these large drives. I've got a
firelball and I mostly have to reset several times before it starts up. A
friend of mine has problems too. We're still looking for a solution. We're
thinking of purchasing the guru-rom. But we must first find out whether  this
will help or not.
-- Via Xenolink 1.98b2, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

New Hard-drive... please help!

Post by Gene Heske » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 AR> In a message of 15 Dec 95 Daniel Smith wrote to All:

 DS>> I have just invested in a 1 gig. SCSI hard-drive. The problem is
 DS>> installing it. :(

 DS>> I have a GVP HD8+ Impact Series II Controller. I got a SCSI
 DS>> connecting lead (25 pin->50 pin).

 DS>> So, I switched the machine on... what happens? Well, nothing much at
 DS>> all actually. The drive light of my GVP drive is constantly on, and
 DS>> the machine is frozen.

 AR> Well I only know GVP doesn't always accept these large drives. I've
 AR> got a firelball and I mostly have to reset several times before it
 AR> starts up. A friend of mine has problems too. We're still looking for
 AR> a solution. We're thinking of purchasing the guru-rom. But we must
 AR> first find out whether  this will help or not.
 AR> -- Via Xenolink 1.98b2, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

IF the HD8+ has a single chip rom, then yes it should work. We do have one
with 2 roms though. 8-[

Cheers

/*            Gene Heskett          |  These opinions are NOT to be  */

#include <std.disclaimer>

New Hard-drive... please help!

Post by Todd Garout » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

subject 'New Hard-drive... please help!'

Quote:>  DS> I have just invested in a 1 gig. SCSI hard-drive. The problem is
>  DS> installing it. :(
>  DS> I have a GVP HD8+ Impact Series II Controller. I got a SCSI connecting
>  DS> lead (25 pin->50 pin).
>  DS> So, I switched the machine on... what happens? Well, nothing much at
> all
>  DS> actually. The drive light of my GVP drive is constantly on, and the
>  DS> machine is frozen.

Hmmmm sounds like to me the hard drive might be set to the same address as
the card.......If I'm not mistaken the card is set at 7..do you have any
othe SCSI devices hooked to the card.....sounds like you have a SCSI bus
lock, which is created when 2 devices are trying to use the same addres
number....

Spike

           A-4000/040 "33Mhz JedI"  24MB  6.6Gig  Spectrum Egs 2MB

      ZooTeD.commo.mcnet.de  +49 (0) 611-421852  100,000+ Files  Amiga/PC

Fax   : +49 611 (0) 428970                    Wiesbaden Germany

1. New Hard-drive... please help!

Please can some one help me...

I have just invested in a 1 gig. SCSI hard-drive.
The problem is installing it. :(

I have a GVP HD8+ Impact Series II Controller. I got a SCSI connecting
lead (25 pin->50 pin).

Plugging the 25 pin lead into the back of the GVP, and the 50 pin lead
into my new hard-drive, I thought everything would be okay.

So, I switched the machine on... what happens? Well, nothing much at
all actually. The drive light of my GVP drive is constantly on, and
the machine is frozen.

How am I meant to prep the drive, if I can't get the machine working?

Disconnecting my new hard-disk; all is fine again. So, please can
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ASAP.

I'm dying to get my new baby up and running. :)

Please could anyone who can help, reply as soon as possible to my
email address.

Many thanks in advance,

2. PC-EMULATORS

3. At my wits' end with new hard drive ... please help!

4. PowerChanger?

5. A1200+New HARD DRIVE (HOW) Please Help

6. Sharing Folders

7. Help please! Hard drive woes

8. SQL SP3

9. HELP PLEASE - HARD DRIVE NOT RECOGNISED

10. Hard drive disaster! Please help!

11. A1200 Hard Drive Problem, please help.

12. Help Please (long): SupraDrive & Quantum SCSI Hard Drive

13. Hard Drive problem.. PLEASE HELP