USRobotics 56K Modem config - Help!

Post by Bruce Dunca » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.  I need to know what settings to use with Miami and with Term
for a US Robotics 56K faxmodem.  The settings I have now don't work
-- speed of 57600 (used with my 14.4K modem) and an init string of
AT&F\r result in the modem dialling, but returning "no connection".
Changing the init string to AT&F2\r results in "no dial tone."

Help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Duncan

Post by Dave Wrigh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 ? Hi.  I need to know what settings to use with Miami and with Term
 ? for a US Robotics 56K faxmodem.  The settings I have now don't work
 ? -- speed of 57600 (used with my 14.4K modem) and an init string of
 ? AT&F\r result in the modem dialling, but returning "no connection".
 ? Changing the init string to AT&F2\r results in "no dial tone."

First:  What version of 56K is the modem?  X2, Flex, or the new standard that
X2 and Flex have settled on?  Does your ISP support that protocol?  Some ISPs
that use Flex can't use the other two, and vice-versa.  I think U.S. Robotics
has software updates to make the modem compatible with whatever protocol you
need at its web site, but you need Windows to apply them.

If your ISP does support your 56K protocol, then try upping the speed setting
in Miami to 115200, which 56K modems expect, and make sure your serial prefs
are set to the same speed.

I'm not sure what init string you should be using because my X2 modem is
GlobalVillage, but you should be able to get by with just ATZ, which is what I
use with AmiTCP.

--
    =============[ :Dave Wright * Gentaur on *MUCK ]=============
    ?  See (and be) amazing animals at the BESTIARIA Beastie Area!  ?

Post by Johnny C. Kitche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi Bruce,

>While you would have better luck with a post to comp.sys.amiga.datacomm...

>: Hi.  I need to know what settings to use with Miami and with Term for a
>: US Robotics 56K faxmodem.  The settings I have now don't work -- speed of
>: 57600 (used with my 14.4K modem) and an init string of AT&F\r result in
>: the modem dialling, but returning "no connection".  Changing the init
>: string to AT&F2\r results in "no dial tone."

>Well, try the one you missed... AT&F1\r

>Doesn't Miami have your modem in the modem list, if so, it will provide the
>correct Init string.

Miami certainly gave me the right setting for my USR V.Everything...

USRobotics 56K Modem config - Help!

Post by Johnny C. Kitche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> ? Hi.  I need to know what settings to use with Miami and with Term
> ? for a US Robotics 56K faxmodem.  The settings I have now don't work
> ? -- speed of 57600 (used with my 14.4K modem) and an init string of
> ? AT&F\r result in the modem dialling, but returning "no connection".
> ? Changing the init string to AT&F2\r results in "no dial tone."

>First:  What version of 56K is the modem?  X2, Flex, or the new standard that
>X2 and Flex have settled on?  Does your ISP support that protocol?  Some ISPs
>that use Flex can't use the other two, and vice-versa.  I think U.S. Robotics
>has software updates to make the modem compatible with whatever protocol you
>need at its web site, but you need Windows to apply them.

USRobotics only uses X2 (their version of 56k) or V.90. They have flashrom
updates that don't require windows now. I use Terminus to update mine. It is
fast and reliable...

1. Rockwell FM-56XT, 56k Modem Help Please..

Hi,

In recently buying a Rockwell Data/Fax modem, 56,000 v34bis Modem model
No FM-56XT, (Similar to Origo Modem, in looks anyway), I have been asking
for help in getting the init string to be able to get it to work properly.
I have flashed it to v90 successfully. I sent the manual to Demon to
see if they could help with the init string and this was answered with
several different ones, none of which appeared to make it work. I now
cannot get Demon to return my Manual, even although I sent a cover letter
asking that it be returned as soon as poss, and plastered my name, address
and email address all over it. So I am desperate for some help here.

I have managed to get some life out of it. I configured the nvram with
AT&FE0V1&C1&D2S95=47S0=0

My dialscript further configures it with
AT+MS=56,1,32000,56000,0,0 %E0%C2\N3

This allows me to connect and even to do some downloading. However after
downloading a couple of files the download speed slows right down and
becomes intermittant, sometimes sitting idle for over 5 minutes before
bringing in another small bit then idling again. Eventually the connection
drops.

Any help you could give me in getting this modem to work would save me
from going insane!!!!

Many, Many thanks in advance, I Hope?   :-(

Matt Parker..

-- Mark Twain

                                             |                      |

Home Page : <http://www.mparker.demon.co.uk> |    *******NOW******* |
Home      : Tullibody in Central Scotland.   |    uk.gov.agency.csa |

2. MPEG decoder card for DVD video?

3. Vo 2.5 Lib, Right Sle.

4. Net Mgmt SW for Sparcs & DEC

5. Term & USRobotics Modem

6. DEC Alpha 8400 and Oracle

7. FS USRobotics 28.8/33.6 Fax/Date Modem *external*

8. USRobotics 9600 baud modems for $80!!

9. Dead USRobotics 2400 baud modem forsale