Re changing Haed drive>

Post by Walter Delor » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:33:15

** To reply in e-mail, remove "qimsev." and ".invalid" from address **

Using A2000 w/ blizzard 2060 Scsi-2

Main drive is 52 meg, and second drive is 730meg.

How do I change software so that SYS boots from drive #2.
( So I can replace the main main drive with a 540meg ).

I tried changing hd startup file but I am afraid to try
it as neither the ZIP disk (backup of main drive is on ZIP),
nor second (700 meg) drive show on hotboot screen when I replace
52meg with 540meg drive.

When I change to the  540 meg drive, it  works,
 but I can't access the  730meg or the zip disk from it.

Can someone help me through this riddle.
walt

--

Re changing Haed drive>

Post by Walter Delor » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:33:16

** To reply in e-mail, remove "dylzuw." and ".invalid" from address **

Using A2000 w/ blizzard 2060 Scsi-2

Main drive is 52 meg, and second drive is 730meg.

How do I change software so that SYS boots from drive #2.
( So I can replace the main main drive with a 540meg ).

I tried changing hd startup file but I am afraid to try
it as neither the ZIP disk (backup of main drive is on ZIP),
nor second (700 meg) drive show on hotboot screen when I replace
52meg with 540meg drive.

When I change to the  540 meg drive, it  works,
 but I can't access the  730meg or the zip disk from it.

Can someone help me through this riddle.
walt

--

Re changing Haed drive>

Post by Steve » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello Walter,

Quote:>Using A2000 w/ blizzard 2060 Scsi-2
>Main drive is 52 meg, and second drive is 730meg.
>How do I change software so that SYS boots from drive #2.
>( So I can replace the main main drive with a 540meg ).
>I tried changing hd startup file but I am afraid to try
>it as neither the ZIP disk (backup of main drive is on ZIP),
>nor second (700 meg) drive show on hotboot screen when I replace
>52meg with 540meg drive.
>When I change to the  540 meg drive, it  works,
> but I can't access the  730meg or the zip disk from it.

Hmmm, first, I'm assuming all your drives have unique SCSI ID's and the 540
meg is bootable with a higher boot priority than any other drive !

From the information you've given, I think this is sound like a HDToolBox RDB
type of problem :-/.

This could happen if the RDB of 540 meg drive is set by HDToolBox as the last
drive but it's SCSI ID is now below that of the 700 meg and the ZIP drive.

Try either setting your boot 540 meg drive to SCSI ID 6 (highest !) or just
run HDToolBox and see if it will auto detect and fix this problem.

Quote:>Can someone help me through this riddle.

It's just a guess but I hope it helps, good luck.

Regards,

    Steven

--
To reply using mail, Please change my address so I have a big foot !

Re changing Haed drive>

Post by George Baylis » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:16:49

Quote:> Using A2000 w/ blizzard 2060 Scsi-2

> Main drive is 52 meg, and second drive is 730meg.

> How do I change software so that SYS boots from drive #2.
> ( So I can replace the main main drive with a 540meg ).

Each drive can have a different boot priority set. This is done from
software. What did you use to format the drive?

Alternatively you could create a dummy startup-sequence to re-direct
the system to the other drive....but this would not work if the first
drive has been removed.

Quote:> I tried changing hd startup file but I am afraid to try

                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you mean the mountfile or the startup-sequence?

Quote:> it as neither the ZIP disk (backup of main drive is on ZIP),
> nor second (700 meg) drive show on hotboot screen when I replace
> 52meg with 540meg drive.

Have you checked the SCSI IDs and termination?

Quote:> When I change to the  540 meg drive, it  works,
>  but I can't access the  730meg or the zip disk from it.

Something is bothering me. Why not set up the 730 meg as your boot
drive, copy all the files from the 52 meg on to it, re-format the 540
meg drive or make it non-bootable and then replace the 52 with the
540?

Quote:> Can someone help me through this riddle.

A few more details would be nice ;^)

--
Regards
George Bayliss

Re changing Haed drive>

Post by Craig Hutchiso » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Using A2000 w/ blizzard 2060 Scsi-2

Same here.

Quote:

> Main drive is 52 meg, and second drive is 730meg.

> How do I change software so that SYS boots from drive #2.
> ( So I can replace the main main drive with a 540meg ).

Open HDToolbox and search around on the SYS: drive's settings for the
"Bootable" checkbox. Turn it off.

Go to the larger drive's settings and turn it on.

Back out and click "save changes" on both affected drives.
That easy.

Quote:> I tried changing hd startup file but I am afraid to try
> it as neither the ZIP disk (backup of main drive is on ZIP),
> nor second (700 meg) drive show on hotboot screen when I replace
> 52meg with 540meg drive.

Remember to have everytning you need to boot on the larger drive, or
your Amiga will boot to a single shell window and stop.

Quote:

> When I change to the  540 meg drive, it  works,
>  but I can't access the  730meg or the zip disk from it.

> Can someone help me through this riddle.

Hope this helps.

 Cache Ya,
 Craig.

Quote:> walt