New Amiga programming mailing list

Post by Nathan Reynold » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

A new Amiga programming mailing list has recently been set up as an
alternative to this newsgroup.  It isn't intended to rival this group, but
is intended for those who prefer mailing lists to newsgroups.

If you want to join, visit the web page at
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/amiprog

The list is intended for beginners and experts alike, any programming
language you fancy.  Feel free to send a welcome message about yourself and
your programming experience.  Don't be discouraged if there is a low amount
of traffic, just wait a while and there should be some new members.
However, feel free to send in your problems anyway.  You can always repeat
them once we have a large member base.

NOTE: I am currently working on a list <-> newsgroup bridge, so messages can
be sent from and to the list.  If anybody can help with this, e-mail me at

1. Please start a mailing list [was Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup?]

#O, MY GAWD !  It can't be Vincent Weijsters, who writes to All ?! And it's
#about Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup? too !
#
#
# >> Hmmm, something like comp.sys.amiga.new-system or something like that
# >> might be a useful forum for this great inspiration...
#
# VW> I would be interested in such a newsgroup as well. it would clear up
# VW> some of the other areas like csa.misc
#
#Yes, I asked in .networking if anyone knew how to set up a new newsgroup, but
#all I've got so far is 'follow three other newsgroups to find out' :-(  Does
#anybody know how to set up a new newsgroup, or two, or three ? :-)
#

Obviously none of you all are news.groups or alt.config lurkers :-)

What is needed for this project right now is a mailing list, not a
newsgroup.  It will take literally months to start a comp.* group.  By that time this
project may be moot, if a white knight buys the Amiga assets.  An alt.*
group might be had in a month, _but_ they will not let you have it if
you have not set up a mailing list and shown sufficient sustained interest.
Furthermore, alt.* has inferior distribution to mailing lists and comp.*.

Therefore, start a mailing list now.  I suggest that you run it off
an Amiga , using the nice Amiga LISTSERV software.  I further suggest that
you use a RFC1153-compliant digest so that your subscribers get only one
message a day.  If the mailing list is so successful that you really need a
Usenet group, then start reading the FAQ's on how to start a Big 7
newsgroup.  Post an RFC to news.groups and other appropriate groups.
Just don't do that yet.  You will get laughed out of news.groups and
alt.config if you go for a newsgroup now.  Mailing lists are _the_ way for
a project like this, the best use of net resources and most direct
connection to interested parties.

Certainly, existing newsgroups like c.s.a.misc and c.s.a.programmers
should be used by the Project to recruit new members and to keep the rest
of us abreast of your doings, but the nuts and bolts of your communications
will be best served by a mailing list.  Good luck.  I expect to see an
announcement of your mailing list soon.

--
ciao,

%cat std-disclaimer | more

2. No desktop icons and taskbar

4. Network Logon

5. Amiga programming mailing list

6. Absolute read / write under MS Windows

7. NEW MAILING-LIST: Discussion for the next AMIGA OS, AROS and p-OS

8. ISDN Lanmodem question

9. New Amiga-related Mailing List

10. *** Amiga F1GP Mailing List - NEW! ***

11. New Amiga mailing list, AmiWebMaster

12. Ann: New Amiga Mailing List