Please start a mailing list [was Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup?]

Please start a mailing list [was Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup?]

Post by Tomas Will » Sun, 05 Feb 1995 08:56:53

#O, MY GAWD !  It can't be Vincent Weijsters, who writes to All ?! And it's
#about Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup? too !
#
#
# >> Hmmm, something like comp.sys.amiga.new-system or something like that
# >> might be a useful forum for this great inspiration...
#
# VW> I would be interested in such a newsgroup as well. it would clear up
# VW> some of the other areas like csa.misc
#
#Yes, I asked in .networking if anyone knew how to set up a new newsgroup, but
#all I've got so far is 'follow three other newsgroups to find out' :-(  Does
#anybody know how to set up a new newsgroup, or two, or three ? :-)
#

Obviously none of you all are news.groups or alt.config lurkers :-)

What is needed for this project right now is a mailing list, not a
newsgroup.  It will take literally months to start a comp.* group.  By that time this
project may be moot, if a white knight buys the Amiga assets.  An alt.*
group might be had in a month, _but_ they will not let you have it if
you have not set up a mailing list and shown sufficient sustained interest.
Furthermore, alt.* has inferior distribution to mailing lists and comp.*.

Therefore, start a mailing list now.  I suggest that you run it off
an Amiga , using the nice Amiga LISTSERV software.  I further suggest that
you use a RFC1153-compliant digest so that your subscribers get only one
message a day.  If the mailing list is so successful that you really need a
Usenet group, then start reading the FAQ's on how to start a Big 7
newsgroup.  Post an RFC to news.groups and other appropriate groups.
Just don't do that yet.  You will get laughed out of news.groups and
alt.config if you go for a newsgroup now.  Mailing lists are _the_ way for
a project like this, the best use of net resources and most direct
connection to interested parties.

Certainly, existing newsgroups like c.s.a.misc and c.s.a.programmers
should be used by the Project to recruit new members and to keep the rest
of us a* of your doings, but the nuts and bolts of your communications
will be best served by a mailing list.  Good luck.  I expect to see an
announcement of your mailing list soon.

--
ciao,

%cat std-disclaimer | more

Post by Vidar Hoksta » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 22:56:29

> Therefore, start a mailing list now.  I suggest that you run it off
> an Amiga , using the nice Amiga LISTSERV software.  I further suggest that

A mailing-list *is* underway. The sysadmin at the site where I have
my mailing-lists mailed me Saturday to tell me that he was going to
set it up. Apparaently they are having some problems, though, so the
list isn't up just yet, but I'll keep bugging him about it until they
make it work.

The list will be a majordomo list, running on a Linux based site.
I could've run it on my own site, but it's a lot cheaper to let my
provider run it himself ;-) I only pay $20 a year for the list...

1. New OS proj == new newsgroup?

O, MY GAWD !  It can't be Vincent Weijsters, who writes to All ?! And it's
about Re: New OS proj == new newsgroup? too !

 >> Hmmm, something like comp.sys.amiga.new-system or something like that
 >> might be a useful forum for this great inspiration...

 VW> I would be interested in such a newsgroup as well. it would clear up
 VW> some of the other areas like csa.misc

Yes, I asked in .networking if anyone knew how to set up a new newsgroup, but
all I've got so far is 'follow three other newsgroups to find out' :-(  Does
anybody know how to set up a new newsgroup, or two, or three ? :-)

G'bye then,

  /|/|       ___  /|/|

-- Via Xenolink 1.95, XenolinkUUCP 1.0

2. wyse 50/60 terminal

3. \everypar, \prevgraf timing solved!!

4. NEW MAILING-LIST: Discussion for the next AMIGA OS, AROS and p-OS

5. why would LOWER

6. Mailing list for new OS yet?

7. Please help: MMI DAC board for Apple ][+

8. Please make new Newsgroup

9. C.S.A.G. FAQ - Please read if you're new to this newsgroup

10. $ NEW SYSTEM, BETTER THAN "ADD ME TO YOU MAILING LIST" $

11. New thing on the new OS ...