Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Thorne Kont » Sat, 25 Sep 1993 04:11:21

     Having lurked for a three-month haitus (test of supreme will-power)
I return to find nothing has changed. MB is now ranting about the latest
new Mac to hit the marketplace. It seems to me that Apple has released
a new machine at the rate of about one a month and are as rapidly
orphaning those that have come before. Witness the Quadra line and
keep a scorecard. 8-)
     Now MB is also sounding off about voice recognition. A serious
question for you Marc...Do you think their speech-recognition will
be as good as the hand-writing recognition in the Newton? And why
hasn't MB been just raving on and on about the Newton? It is the
greatest thing since sliced bread, isn't it Marc? The truth is the
Newton doesn't work...plain and simple. Read any article by anyone
who has used it. How long should it take to train it?? Two weeks
isn't long enough, and if I own something I can't use for two weeks,
what good is it?
     IMHO, John Sculley and his upper management sucked the life-*
out of the company, damn near ruining it, while in the process making
themselves extremely wealthy. Latest stock price is $24.50 a far cry
from the $60-$70 dollar range just a few months ago. Have any response
for this? After the latest round of layoffs, they canned almost every
program that set the company apart as revolutionary and a great place
to work. Why don't you ever mention this about your beloved company?
     Tell me Marc, what is it that Apple has that I can't get on a clone
for less. What one software product (or hardware product) for that matter
sets it apart? Because they are heading, slowly but surely, into being
a niche machine. I wonder how long before we see Apple doing a games
console. 8-) At least the Amiga has the VideoToaster, but what does
set the Apple line apart other than inflated hardware and more importantly
software prices. Not a thing.
     So the next time you want to come and spout off, exercise some
self-control and try not to post. It might even do wonders for
your social life.

                             Thorne K. Kontos
                             Resident chairperson of the
                             Curtailment of Personal Liberties Committee

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by sinclap2.. » Sat, 25 Sep 1993 09:07:19

>      Having lurked for a three-month haitus (test of supreme will-power)
> I return to find nothing has changed. MB is now ranting about the latest
> new Mac to hit the marketplace. It seems to me that Apple has released
> a new machine at the rate of about one a month and are as rapidly
> orphaning those that have come before. Witness the Quadra line and
> keep a scorecard. 8-)

To bad you had to come back.

Quote:>      Now MB is also sounding off about voice recognition. A serious
> question for you Marc...Do you think their speech-recognition will
> be as good as the hand-writing recognition in the Newton? And why
> hasn't MB been just raving on and on about the Newton? It is the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, isn't it Marc? The truth is the
> Newton doesn't work...plain and simple. Read any article by anyone
> who has used it. How long should it take to train it?? Two weeks
> isn't long enough, and if I own something I can't use for two weeks,
> what good is it?

I think Marc has already discussed the Newton.  Thats what happens when you are
away to long.

Quote:>      IMHO, John Sculley and his upper management sucked the life-*
> out of the company, damn near ruining it, while in the process making
> themselves extremely wealthy. Latest stock price is $24.50 a far cry
> from the $60-$70 dollar range just a few months ago. Have any response
> for this? After the latest round of layoffs, they canned almost every
> program that set the company apart as revolutionary and a great place
> to work. Why don't you ever mention this about your beloved company?

Yea, and Apple is moving out boxes.  Can you get an Amiga at Walmart, Best Buy
and Sears?   At least Sculley made over a billion in earnings for the company
in the past 10 years at the helm.  The stock price is low because of Wall St's
over reaction.  And who hasn't had layoffs?  Apple is cutting fat and C= is
cutting muscle.
What innovative products has C= released lately?  What ever happened to the
A4000T?  To little, to late..

Quote:>      Tell me Marc, what is it that Apple has that I can't get on a clone
> for less. What one software product (or hardware product) for that matter
> sets it apart? Because they are heading, slowly but surely, into being
> a niche machine. I wonder how long before we see Apple doing a games
> console. 8-) At least the Amiga has the VideoToaster, but what does
> set the Apple line apart other than inflated hardware and more importantly
> software prices. Not a thing.

The Windows software originated first on the Mac bud. The Video Toaster hasn't
set the world on fire and made C= prosper.  I believe Apple will be comming out
with a cdrom console.  Can you get an 040 Amiga 4000 for $1840 street like you
can with a Centris 660 AV.  Inflated hardware, hu!  Its the Amiga 4000 that is
vastly over priced.

 So the next
time you want to come and spout off, exercise some

Quote:> self-control and try not to post. It might even do wonders for
> your social life.

>                              Thorne K. Kontos
>                              Resident chairperson of the
>                              Curtailment of Personal Liberties Committee

Peter Sinclair-Day     Univ. of Northern Iowa     Cedar Falls, Iowa

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Eyvind Bernhards » Sat, 25 Sep 1993 10:24:29

[...]

 > The Windows software originated first on the Mac bud. The Video Toaster hasn't

No, I believe Windows was actually developed by IBM and MicroSoft for the
PC.  Oh, you meant GUIs?  (Remember when they called it WIMP?  ;)  Sorry,
man, Apple just ripped Xerox's twenty-year old research and put it in
a consumer-level (an EXPENSIVE consumer-level) machine.

 > set the world on fire and made C= prosper.  I believe Apple will be comming out

Nah.  Made NewTek prosper, though, hasn't it?

 > with a cdrom console.  Can you get an 040 Amiga 4000 for $1840 street like you
 > can with a Centris 660 AV.  Inflated hardware, hu!  Its the Amiga 4000 that is
 > vastly over priced.

*yawn*  Can I get the useability of my A1200 from a Centris?  Nix.  Why?
Because Macs don't do what I want a computer for.  Take the GUI...  If
I wanted my intelligence insulted by being babied into the UI ('Very
good!  Now move the "mouse" on the "desk".  Do you see the "thing"
moving on the "screen"?  Congratulations!  You now know how to use a
"mouse"!') yup, the Mac is the only choice.  If I want a GUI that does
what I want it to, doesn't annoy the hell outta me, and also runs on
a powerful machine which is *fun* to program, well, I'd choose an
Amiga.  Which I did.

 > Peter Sinclair-Day     Univ. of Northern Iowa     Cedar Falls, Iowa

Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine.  If you don't like them, you can
kiss my ugly hairy butt.
--

    // |                    |
\\ //--| Finger me for my   | Amigoid and Linux advocate.

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Marc N. Barre » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 07:29:54

>     Now MB is also sounding off about voice recognition. A serious
>question for you Marc...Do you think their speech-recognition will
>be as good as the hand-writing recognition in the Newton?

   You can't compare the two.

Quote:> And why
>hasn't MB been just raving on and on about the Newton? It is the
>greatest thing since sliced bread, isn't it Marc?

   Your putting words in my mouth.  Unless you want me to respond by putting
words in your mouth, don't do it.

Quote:> The truth is the
>Newton doesn't work...plain and simple.

   I found a girl here who had purchased a Newton, and asked her what she
thought of it.  She said she really liked it.

   BTW, it takes real guts for a company to release cutting-edge products
that are not at all similar to any other products on the market.  How often
has Commodore done this?  Not at all.  Even the CD32 is basically just a
console, and consoles have been around for a long time.  The Newton and
AV Macs are totally new.

Quote:>     IMHO, John Sculley and his upper management sucked the life-*
>out of the company, damn near ruining it, while in the process making
>themselves extremely wealthy. Latest stock price is $24.50 a far cry
>from the $60-$70 dollar range just a few months ago. Have any response
>for this? After the latest round of layoffs, they canned almost every
>program that set the company apart as revolutionary and a great place
>to work. Why don't you ever mention this about your beloved company?

   This is all bullshit.  Apple had 14,000 employees before the cuts.  They
still have over 12,000 employees left.  So much for "canning almost every
program that set the company apart as revolutionary and a great place to
work".  This describes Commodore perfectly; do you know how many EXPERIENCED
software engineers Commodore has left, TOTAL?  Around FIVE.  And RTG is on
hold until Commodore scrapes together enoygh cash to hire people to replace
the very experienced people who have left.  Great place to work, huh?

Quote:>     Tell me Marc, what is it that Apple has that I can't get on a clone
>for less.

   16-bit 48Khz stereo audio input
   16-bit 48Khz stereo audio output
   A 55Mhz (or 66Mhz) AT&T 3210 DSP
   NTSC/PAL/SECAM video input
   NTSC/PAL video output
      and more importantly...
   Standardized OS software to use all of the above.

     You could add the above to an Amiga or clone, but you would have
absolutely *NO* software to make it useful.

   People have been asking what Apple would become when they started to
become just another vendor of PowerPC systems.  What Apple will become is
what Commodore once was: a vendor of systems with innovative features in
standard hardware than you can get on other systems.  For instance, Apple
will likely keep most of the above capabilities in their PowerPC systems
(though the first PPC Macs won't have a DSP, later ones likely will).

   Commodore used to be like this.  For a long time, the Amiga was very
attractive because it came with good graphics, sound, etc.. all in standard
hardware.  But then Commodore released the AGA Amigas and it all went to
hell.

Quote:> What one software product (or hardware product) for that matter
>sets it apart?

   The Quadra 840AV and Centris 660AV.  There's two products for you.

Quote:>At least the Amiga has the VideoToaster

   Yeah, what a really wonderful job that that has done to Commodore's
sales!!  Commodore is in such horrible shape they can't even afford to fund
development of RTG.  So much for the Video Toaster.  It is an innovative
piece of hardware, and has done a lot for NewTek, but it has done NOTHING
for Commodore at all.

Quote:>, but what does
>set the Apple line apart other than inflated hardware and more importantly
>software prices. Not a thing.

   What sets apart the Amiga line besides inflated hardware price?  The
Amiga doesn't have inflated software prices because it has NO software,
period.

+++++++
 ++++      Marc Barrett  -MB-

   +

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Mattias Myrbe » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 08:33:58

Quote:>   I found a girl here who had purchased a Newton, and asked her what she
>thought of it.  She said she really liked it.

The question is, did she ever use it ?

Quote:>   BTW, it takes real guts for a company to release cutting-edge products
>that are not at all similar to any other products on the market.  How often
>has Commodore done this?  Not at all.  Even the CD32 is basically just a
>console, and consoles have been around for a long time.  The Newton and
>AV Macs are totally new.

I suppose CD32 is one of the first consoles that provides CD-ROM
as a standard.

Alright, Newton has its handwriting recognition and a new userinterface-
concept. What's new about the AV Macs ? Don't give me video-conferencing
et al 'cause that's not new. A totally object-oriented system, now that would
be something.

Quote:>   People have been asking what Apple would become when they started to
>become just another vendor of PowerPC systems.  What Apple will become is
>what Commodore once was: a vendor of systems with innovative features in
>standard hardware than you can get on other systems.  For instance, Apple
>will likely keep most of the above capabilities in their PowerPC systems
>(though the first PPC Macs won't have a DSP, later ones likely will).

I see no innovations whatsoever in Apple-land.

Quote:>   Commodore used to be like this.  For a long time, the Amiga was very
>attractive because it came with good graphics, sound, etc.. all in standard
>hardware.  But then Commodore released the AGA Amigas and it all went to
>hell.

A strategic decision, and a good one too.

Mattias

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by ftp Amiga Manag » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 10:57:59

:      Now MB is also sounding off about voice recognition. A serious
: question for you Marc...Do you think their speech-recognition will
: be as good as the hand-writing recognition in the Newton?

I don't know about Newton, but I did get a chance to play with the speech
recognition on an 840av.   Let's just say I was less than impressed.  I
may not have perfect diction, but I think I speak fairly clearly, overall.
Even with exagerated enunciation of the spoken commands, I would estimate
the av's correct interpretation at ~25% or worse.

If Newton is that bad, it's next to useless (for me, anyway).  I could have
typed (or moused) the actions I wanted performed several times over by the
time I could correct/undo incorrect command interpretations (in some cases,
I could not get it to ever correctly intepret a few particular commands)
and saved quite a bit of frustration in the process.

-baron

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Andrew J Wattenhofer » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 11:47:08

[stuff about Newton deleted]

Quote:>I think Marc has already discussed the Newton.  Thats what happens when you are
>away to long.

yes, really out of touch,right?

[heeheee]

Quote:>Yea, and Apple is moving out boxes.  Can you get an Amiga at Walmart, Best Buy
>and Sears?   At least Sculley made over a billion in earnings for the company
>in the past 10 years at the helm.  The stock price is low because of Wall St's
>over reaction.  And who hasn't had layoffs?  Apple is cutting fat and C= is
>cutting muscle.

and youre cutting shit...

Quote:>What innovative products has C= released lately?  What ever happened to the
>A4000T?  To little, to late..

I have been monitoring your email conversations with MB and I kmnow that
he is giving you lessons...btw, the Amiga is an innovation itself. The mac
is just packages to look like one...

Quote:>The Windows software originated first on the Mac bud. The Video Toaster hasn't

BS!!!! first, Window is Microsoft, however they copied a little bit :)
second, the Mac was nmot the first windowing OS, bud (I hate budweiser)

Quote:>set the world on fire and made C= prosper.  I believe Apple will be comming out

more BS. the toaster is always being recognised for beine such an
excellent product. Most people don't give a shit about the mac, only the
poor saps who bought them.
--
Andrew Wattenhofer          ~| "Everybody's got a job to do, everybody's got |

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Mattias Myrbe » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 14:22:41

 (Thorne Kontos) writes:

[...]

Quote:>>     Tell me Marc, what is it that Apple has that I can't get on a clone
>> for less.
>   16-bit 48Khz stereo audio input
>   16-bit 48Khz stereo audio output
>   A 55Mhz (or 66Mhz) AT&T 3210 DSP
>   NTSC/PAL/SECAM video input
>   NTSC/PAL video output
>      and more importantly...
>   Standardized OS software to use all of the above.

The only person in our house that can hear over
25Khz (approx) is the dog.

"Standardized" is a very malleable term.  Especially
when the new _standardized_ OS doesn't work well with
programs made for the last _standardized_ OS.

Quote:>     You could add the above to an Amiga or clone, but you would have
>absolutely *NO* software to make it useful.

I know what you mean.  It really bums me out that the
GVP GLock, the GVP IV-24, the GVP EGS board, the Sunrise
AD516 digitizer, the Video Toaster, the Retina, the
Audio Magic digitizer, the Digi-View Gold, the Piccolo,
and the OpalVision don't come with any software at all.
What do these people think they're doing?  Selling
digital paperweights?
( For those not paying attention, I've used sarcasm  >;-\  )

Quote:>   People have been asking what Apple would become when they started to
>become just another vendor of PowerPC systems.  What Apple will become is
>what Commodore once was: a vendor of systems with innovative features in
>standard hardware than you can get on other systems.  For instance, Apple
>will likely keep most of the above capabilities in their PowerPC systems
>(though the first PPC Macs won't have a DSP, later ones likely will).

Apple releases a flavor of the week.  For all we (this includes you) know,
the next Mac will come with a built-in, 40 character wide, thermal printer
that doubles as a toilet paper dispenser.  i.e. Apple has released some
Mac variations with improved video and memory throughput and then later
turned around and released new computers with inferior subsystems (to cut
costs, not to be innovative.)

Quote:>   Commodore used to be like this.  For a long time, the Amiga was very
>attractive because it came with good graphics, sound, etc.. all in standard
>hardware.  But then Commodore released the AGA Amigas and it all went to
>hell.

How does AGA*it up?  With better graphics throughput?  (Darn, I hate
improved graphics.  >;-) ) Properly written software (ProWrite, ADPro,
GfxBase X11) will open AGA screens despite the fact these programs were
released before AGA machines were available.  ECS changed the specs of the
Amiga graphics subsystems, so why didn't the Amiga world go to hell then?
If it's game compatibility you're worrying about then go get a KS 1.3
A500, but productivity software runs better than ever before.

Quote:>>At least the Amiga has the VideoToaster
>   Yeah, what a really wonderful job that that has done to Commodore's
>sales!!  Commodore is in such horrible shape they can't even afford to fund
>development of RTG.  So much for the Video Toaster.  It is an innovative
>piece of hardware, and has done a lot for NewTek, but it has done NOTHING
>for Commodore at all.

I Imagine it helped Commodore unload a few warehouses of A2000s.  Actually,
Commodore cost reduced the 2000 motherboard, and installed 2.1 on it after
the introduction of the 3000, so I imagine they still were selling quite
a few 2000 and I know NewTek had something to do with that.

Quote:>   What sets apart the Amiga line besides inflated hardware price?  The
>Amiga doesn't have inflated software prices because it has NO software,
>period.

Tell me, do you go to bars and yell racial slurs just to get attention?

Professional Page, Professional Draw, PageStream, TypeSmith, Art Expression,
ProWrite, ProVector, Design Works, QuickWrite, QuarterBack, QuarterBack
Tools Deluxe, Brilliance, Deluxe Paint IV, DigiPaint III, Imagine, Real 3d,
Caligari, LightWave, Directory Opus, Arexx, CanDo, AmigaVision, SAS/C,
Aladin 4D, Pixel 3D professional, Interchange, Final Copy II, PenPal,
Proper Grammar II, Cygnus Ed Professional, Adapt 680x0 assembler, GigaMem,
Atalk III, GP Fax, ProCalc, CrossDos, CrossPC, ProCalc, Scala, Montage,
WaveWrite, WaveMaker, AnimWorkshop, SBase Professional, VistaPro, Distant
Suns, Scenery Maker, FractalPro, ScapeMaker, TerraForm, Visionaire, Art
Department Professional, Morph Plus, NeuralPro, Migraph OCR/OCR Jr.,
GfxBase X11, EnLan DFS, Anim Magic, and Morphus to name, but a meager percent.

There isn't a body alive who has time to learn to use all the above software
effectively (I know cause I've tried), so I'd say it would be a fairly accurate
estimate that the Amiga has some software available.

Should I throw in the contents of Fred Fish?

    _/    _/ _/_/_/_/ _/      _/           (Ken-Bob)
   _/  _/   _/       _/_/    _/          Kenneth Jennings

 _/  _/   _/       _/    _/_/       AT&T Universal Card Services
_/    _/ _/_/_/_/ _/      _/           Jacksonville, Florida
 (Not the opinions of AT&T and I'm sure they`re glad to hear it)

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by KENNEDY JAMES SC » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 15:33:28

> [...]

>  > The Windows software originated first on the Mac bud. The Video Toaster hasn't

> No, I believe Windows was actually developed by IBM and MicroSoft for the
> PC.  Oh, you meant GUIs?  (Remember when they called it WIMP?  ;)  Sorry,
> man, Apple just ripped Xerox's twenty-year old research and put it in
> a consumer-level (an EXPENSIVE consumer-level) machine.

>  > set the world on fire and made C= prosper.  I believe Apple will be comming out

> Nah.  Made NewTek prosper, though, hasn't it?

>  > with a cdrom console.  Can you get an 040 Amiga 4000 for $1840 street like you
>  > can with a Centris 660 AV.  Inflated hardware, hu!  Its the Amiga 4000 that is
>  > vastly over priced.

> *yawn*  Can I get the useability of my A1200 from a Centris?  Nix.  Why?
> Because Macs don't do what I want a computer for.  Take the GUI...  If
> I wanted my intelligence insulted by being babied into the UI ('Very
> good!  Now move the "mouse" on the "desk".  Do you see the "thing"
> moving on the "screen"?  Congratulations!  You now know how to use a
> "mouse"!') yup, the Mac is the only choice.  If I want a GUI that does

I feel like I'm hand-cuffed when using a Mac.  IMHO, the Amiga's UI is
far more flexible and this is one of the reasons why I own an Amiga.

Quote:> what I want it to, doesn't annoy the hell outta me, and also runs on
> a powerful machine which is *fun* to program, well, I'd choose an
> Amiga.  Which I did.

Actually, I think Peter made a good point.  He seems to be a little
biased in his praise for the Mac and much too harsh on the Amiga,
but the fact is that the A4000 is rather overpriced.  I'd prefer
an A4000 over a Mac Centris 660AV anyday because Amigas are more
useable than Macs (at least they are for me) but I fear that the
Amiga's good points will be lost on most people so they'll quite
likely want to buy a Mac or a clone instead.  Why?  Because most
people aren't aware of what an Amiga can do, what preemptive
multitasking is and why it's desirable, the advantages of having
a good CLI and GUI, shared libraries, fast context switch time,
ARexx, OOP, and so on.

I sincerely believe that Commodore would sell a hell of a lot more
Amigas if there were a lot more people out there exposed to it.
By exposure I mean people actually sitting down behind an Amiga
for a good while and then seeing firsthand what an Amiga is like.
Ideally, the Amiga system that they are trying out should be an
A4000/040 with a fast hard drive, a respectable amount of RAM, a
good monitor, and perhaps a video card installed in it.  This
"ideal" Amiga system should have a good selection of apps
installed on it so people can get a good idea of what using an
Amiga is really like and also to let them know that decent
software *is* available for Amigas.  IMHO, something like this
would go a long ways towards convincing people that the Amiga is
a viable platform for most computer tasks.  Advertising alone
isn't enough to properly promote the Amiga.  Please note that
I'm not saying that advertizing isn't important.  Certainly,
Commodore has failed to properly advertize the Amiga in the
U.S.  This is but one reason why most people don't even
know that the Amiga exists.  Sad but true...

After someone has given an Amiga system a test drive, the person
demoing the Amiga could then invite this person to try to
perform roughly the same tasks that he or she performed on the
Amiga on a Mac or a clone (preferably on both).  Then this
person might quickly realize that the Amiga is a better choice
for some tasks.  My feeling is that after they've had a taste
of the Mac's "user-friendliness" (read frustration) this
person may decide that the Amiga is worth looking at.

Why would someone who isn't "in the know" seriously consider
purchasing an Amiga?  If they aren't aware of the Amiga's
strong points then what motivation do they have for considering
one over a Mac or a clone?  The same could probably be said
for the Atari Falcon.  I wonder how many people even know that
Atari makes computers?  It looks like to me that Atari owners
and would-be owners are basically in the same boat as Amiga
owners and would-be owners of Amigas.  Pray tell why should
someone buy an Amiga or an Atari if they don't know anything
about them?  They'll just compare price tags alone and end up
buying whatever *looks* like the best deal.  And, then they
might wind up with a computer system that doesn't meet their
needs.  Clearly, the Amiga's visibility needs to improve.
Everyone has heard of the C64 and the Atari VCS but very
few people have heard of the Amiga or the Falcon.  If the
Amiga had even half the visibility that the C64 formerly
had then I can almost guarantee you that Commodore would
be selling a lot more Amiga systems in North America
right now.  I can remember when you could walk into a
major retail outlet (KMart and Montgomery Wards comes to
mind) and they had C64s, peripherals for C64s, and C64
software right there *in* the store.  My experience has
been that these kind of places are unable/unwilling to
offer you any kind of support and there selection is
limited as well, but they are good for allowing a lot of
people to actually *see* the product itself.  Sadly,
most people have to look long and hard to find a place
that carries Amigas.  As a result the Amiga is by
"PeeCee standards" an "underground" computer.  This must
change if the Amiga is ever to be a popular computer.

>  > Peter Sinclair-Day     Univ. of Northern Iowa     Cedar Falls, Iowa

> Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine.  If you don't like them, you can
> kiss my ugly hairy butt.
> --

>     // |                    |
> \\ //--| Finger me for my   | Amigoid and Linux advocate.
>  \X/   | public PGP key :)  | Save the whalers!

---Scott

"Amiga - the computer for the residue of the rest of us." :-)

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Evan Torr » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 16:21:11

Quote:>Even with exagerated enunciation of the spoken commands, I would estimate
 ^^^^^^^^^
>the av's correct interpretation at ~25% or worse.

  Probably "because of".  Speaking slowly, separating words, shouting
at an AV, just makes recognition worse.  It works best with ordinary,
low-volume, connected speech.

"I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can
 believe in everlasting punishment" - Bertrand Russell.

Marc Barrett's Rantings

Post by Evan Torr » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 16:38:37

>>   16-bit 48Khz stereo audio output
>The only person in our house that can hear over
>25Khz (approx) is the dog.

  It's a 48KHz *sample* output rate.  The rest of the
"remove-foot-from-mouth" proof is left as an exercise for the reader.

Post by McGowan Kenne » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 18:35:28

: I sincerely believe that Commodore would sell a hell of a lot more
: Amigas if there were a lot more people out there exposed to it.
: By exposure I mean people actually sitting down behind an Amiga
: for a good while and then seeing firsthand what an Amiga is like.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I have a friend who was an absolute die-hard IBM
user.  He would make wretching noises every time I tried to tell him
something about my A3000...that is, until he sat down and used it.  His
eyes were bugging out of his head and he just kept saying "very
impressive!...VERY impressive!"

Unfortunately, even the so-called "authorized" Amiga dealers I've visited
rarely have any of the store models up and running!  It amazes me every
time I walk into an Amiga shop only to find that the salsepeople know next
to nothing about the product; I've even been in a store where the only
salseperson available didn't know how to turn on the deinterlacer.  He was
using a hires interlaced screen that was flickering like nuts and he
didn't even seem to notice it.

: Ideally, the Amiga system that they are trying out should be an
: A4000/040 with a fast hard drive, a respectable amount of RAM, a

I don't know if this is the best idea, though.  The 4000 is still rather
pricey.  I'd rather see something like an A1200 & A3000 in addition to the
4000.  A3000's are still quite powerful comparitively and the price tag is
much more appealing.  AGA can be demonstrated on the inexpensive A1200.
Anyway, I stil agree that you need to sit the customer down and get them
to use one, regardless of which one it is.

: good monitor, and perhaps a video card installed in it.  This
: "ideal" Amiga system should have a good selection of apps
: installed on it so people can get a good idea of what using an
: Amiga is really like and also to let them know that decent
: software *is* available for Amigas.  IMHO, something like this
: would go a long ways towards convincing people that the Amiga is
: a viable platform for most computer tasks.  Advertising alone
: isn't enough to properly promote the Amiga.  Please note that
: I'm not saying that advertizing isn't important.  Certainly,
: Commodore has failed to properly advertize the Amiga in the
: U.S.  This is but one reason why most people don't even
: know that the Amiga exists.  Sad but true...

Agreed.  Speaking of CBM's poor sales strategy, has anyone else heard of
Mike Levin?  Apparently Mr. Levin, tired of Commodore's lack of effort to
promote the Amiga, has organized a movement whose goal is the ouster of
CBM CEO Irving Gould.  Don't take my word for it, it's just a rumor; but
it is a rather interesting idea, no?

     It is also too true that people in general do not have a clue as to
what they are buying or even looking for.  A particular member of my
family purchased an IBM PS/2 w/ a 20 MB HD and only 1 MB ram.  Oddly
enough, he also received Windows with this system, though he
obviously couldn't run it.  He received an IBM proprinter and some sort of
standard montior as well.  The price:  over $3000!  Meanwhile I picked up
an A3000 w/ much more space on the hard drive, five times the ram,
monitor, nice printer, etc. for around the same price (still high, yes, but
that's only because I was in too much of a hurry to get one; now you can
find the same model I purchased for only $800).
     Anyway, the best way I've found to destroy the false impression
people have of the Amiga as just a fancy game machine and not a serious
"work" computer is to invite an IBM/MAC user over and just play around for a
while.  Let them SEE the difference for themselves.  Spread the word!!

Kenneth McGowan

1. Marc Barrett's Rantings

This isn't the case with the AV Macs.  The digitized video data stream is
sent to a separate pixel data port on the RAM/DAC where it is mixed with
the computer generated graphics.  Thus, the video being grabbed is visible
on the display at all times.

No, Apple doesn't sell any multisync displays.  However, you don't need a
multisync monitor for this, as the digitized video can be seen on any
display supported by the machine (from NTSC on up to 1152x870 75 Hz
noninterlaced).  There are some tradeoffs on the size and pixel depth of
the video window and the display size/pixel depth and amount of available
VRAM.

I think so, but I could be remembering incorrectly.  If you do the math,
that's a bit over a 2 MB/sec. data transfer rate.  You would need a fairly
fast hard disk to support a this on a sustained basis, but they do exist
and are available on the AV machines.   There's probably some sort of
software compresssion being used to reduce the data rate (although that is
just speculation by me as I don't have a Q840av readily available for
test).

Good question.   To the best of my knowledge there aren't any currently
available hardware compression cards which use this slot.  I have seen
MPEG demonstrated (so I know it's certainly possible to produce an MPEG
hardware compression card), but I don't believe anyone actually sells this
yet.   Certainly all of the QuickTime software codecs are available, but
that's a far cry from what's possible with hardware compression.

- Dale Adams

2. MRTG - HTML creation

3. Marc 'who am I' Barrett.

4. moving a DEC VAX SCSI drive.

5. The 'marc barrett' problem...

6. Run Pro-E at home too!

7. Who's Marc Barrett?

8. LZB - Good for small amounts of data?

9. For those who want Marc Barrett's Phone #...

10. Marc Barrett's first C program?

11. Marc Barrett isn't a total *loser*

12. Marc Barrett's Guarantee

13. For those who want Marc Barrett's Phon