GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Seumas McNal » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Anyone else played the GLOOM demo?  It's like Wolf 3D with floor and
ceiling textures (optional), and a LOAD of gore.

It's so cool blasting those marines away at close range, and having their
limbs and internal organs flying all around.  They're also 3D enemies,
unlike AB3D and Fears.  The weapons are pretty cool too, but a very
simple syste, just pickup generic power-ups to keep on boosting your
weapon higher.  One neat thing is if you blast a lot of baddies at real
close range you get * splats all over your face, I've had eleven
seperate spots on me after the end of the demo.

Hey, all you other Doomclome makers (especially fears), you HAVE to include
tons of flying * and body parts when you kill stuff, it's a really
amazingly cool effect in Gloom.  :)

|--Seumas at Dark Unicorn Productions    ---    IRC Longbow on the \   -|

|--Check out DUP's cool Homepage, currently under construction,         |
|--point your browser at "http://www.veryComputer.com/~drizzit/dup/dup.html"--|

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Joshua Gal » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

: |--Seumas at Dark Unicorn Productions    ---    IRC Longbow on the \   -|

: |--Check out DUP's cool Homepage, currently under construction,         |
: |--point your browser at "http://www.eskimo.com/~drizzit/dup/dup.html"--|

        Hey!  If you guys at DUP are so up on Gloom, why not do a team
project to do a Doom clone?  I'd love to see it.  I can't understand,
why, with so much individual talent, you don't all work on one game to
try to make it incredible...

        Anyway, just my 2 cents...

               Joshua Galun

 +========================================================================+
 | Editor in Chief of Amiga Link:    | Sysop of the Wolf's Lair BBS       |
 | Your ultimate source of Amiga info| Run off an A500/030 and CNet 3.05c!|
 | and articles!                     | Tons of Amiga files, no PC files   |
 | Available on Aminet and BBSs      | allowed!  And tons of GAMES!!      |
 | worldwide                         | (201) 666-9472 In Westwood, NJ USA |
 +========================================================================+
                       ****************************
                       *Lover of Amigas, Tolkien, *
                       *and Hobbits!              *
                       ****************************

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Ian Wils » Tue, 02 May 1995 04:00:00

: Anyone else played the GLOOM demo?  It's like Wolf 3D with floor and
: ceiling textures (optional), and a LOAD of gore.

: It's so cool blasting those marines away at close range, and having their
: limbs and internal organs flying all around.  They're also 3D enemies,
: unlike AB3D and Fears.  The weapons are pretty cool too, but a very
: simple syste, just pickup generic power-ups to keep on boosting your
: weapon higher.  One neat thing is if you blast a lot of baddies at real
: close range you get * splats all over your face, I've had eleven
: seperate spots on me after the end of the demo.

Yup, it is well cool.

: Hey, all you other Doomclome makers (especially fears), you HAVE to include
: tons of flying * and body parts when you kill stuff, it's a really
: amazingly cool effect in Gloom.  :)

* and gore. That's what it's about. Looks like the acid (oops, whatever
they are going by now) boys have done it again. These guys are good.

--
~===========================================================================~

    Amiga-1200, 50Mhz'030/'882, 6meg, 540meg H/D, CD-Rom, Printer, Games,
    Joysticks, millions of disks of PD.. and I still need the net to stop
    me from getting bored!
~===========================================================================~

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Janne Sir » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

> limbs and internal organs flying all around.  They're also 3D enemies,
> unlike AB3D and Fears.  The weapons are pretty cool too, but a very

AB3D has 3D monsters. Ok, maybe the green ones aren't, but the K2 walkers
certainly are.

Quote:> Hey, all you other Doomclome makers (especially fears), you HAVE to include
> tons of flying * and body parts when you kill stuff, it's a really
> amazingly cool effect in Gloom.  :)

Well, the body parts flying around in Gloom is far from realistic, but
it certainly makes is a lot more fun... but I still don't I'd like to see
that in AB3D...

--
     ///------------------------------------------------------------\\\
    ///  Janne Siren  /  "Couldn't we just help each other           \\\

 \XX/------------------------------------------------------------------\XX/

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Acid Softwa » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

:
: > limbs and internal organs flying all around.  They're also 3D enemies,
: > unlike AB3D and Fears.  The weapons are pretty cool too, but a very
:
: AB3D has 3D monsters. Ok, maybe the green ones aren't, but the K2 walkers
: certainly are.
:
: > Hey, all you other Doomclome makers (especially fears), you HAVE to include
: > tons of flying * and body parts when you kill stuff, it's a really
: > amazingly cool effect in Gloom.  :)
:
: Well, the body parts flying around in Gloom is far from realistic, but
: it certainly makes is a lot more fun... but I still don't I'd like to see
: that in AB3D...

That's OK, I doubt you will...

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by am.. » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

>:
>: > limbs and internal organs flying all around.  They're also 3D enemies,
>: > unlike AB3D and Fears.  The weapons are pretty cool too, but a very
>:
>: AB3D has 3D monsters. Ok, maybe the green ones aren't, but the K2 walkers
>: certainly are.
>:
>: > Hey, all you other Doomclome makers (especially fears), you HAVE to include
>: > tons of flying * and body parts when you kill stuff, it's a really
>: > amazingly cool effect in Gloom.  :)
>:
>: Well, the body parts flying around in Gloom is far from realistic, but
>: it certainly makes is a lot more fun... but I still don't I'd like to see
>: that in AB3D...

>That's OK, I doubt you will...

AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
innards which blast through the door in front of him.

Andy.
.

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by MARC EDWARD FORREST » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

 >AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
 >anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
 >rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
 >put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
 >Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
 >to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
 >rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
 >innards which blast through the door in front of him.

Now this is looking cool. You are going to allow mouse, joystick and
key control simultaneously, right? Or at least mouse and one or the other.

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Skuld's Lov » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

>AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
>anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
>rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
>put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
>Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
>to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
>rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
>innards which blast through the door in front of him.

Yes, yes, yes, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just curious.... But were these improvements come up with after
looking at Gloom? :-> Could it be that capitalism is working FOR the
Amiga for a change? :->

You've got my $30! :->

--
                                                     - Jim

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Os » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

:  >AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
:  >anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
:  >rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
:  >put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
:  >Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
:  >to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
:  >rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
:  >innards which blast through the door in front of him.

Holy Sheit!  You gotta be kidding!!  >Heh...If AB3D is going to be all
it's cracked up to be..I've definitely gotta show it off to those DOOM
fanatics... they'll freak!... and.. um.. so will I.  :-]

-OwEn-

To PC or not to PC... there is no question. Amiga is the only one for me!!

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Mark Hillma » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

 >AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
 >anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
 >rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
 >put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
 >Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
 >to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
 >rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
 >innards which blast through the door in front of him.

COOOOOOL! IMHO Ab3d is shaping up to be the best of the Doom clones...  Will
there be a gun graphic on Ab3d though ??????

This game is going straight on my must rush out and buy the second it's
released list ......

Whenever that is......

Markus.

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Acid Softwa » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

:
: AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
: anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
: rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
: put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
: Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
: to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
: rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
: innards which blast through the door in front of him.
:
: Andy.

Wow, where do you get your awesome ideas from!?!?!?!?

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by am.. » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

>>AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
> [ more bits deleted ]
>Yes, yes, yes, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!

>I'm just curious.... But were these improvements come up with after
>looking at Gloom? :-> Could it be that capitalism is working FOR the
>Amiga for a change? :->

>You've got my $30! :->

The exploding nasties and stuff were pretty much always going to end up
in there; it was the logical thing to think about when working with
rocket launchers and grenades. My exploding nasties did in fact go in
before I saw Gloom. Having now seen it myself, I think the exploding
would look much better with animated bits (I never realised my lower
intestine was so rigid!) like mine. Perhaps memory is getting tight
on Gloom or something. Fortunately I spent a while on a real-time
graphic decompression routine so AB3D should have lots more in-game
graphics than its competitors. Or not; who can tell?

Andy.
.

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by am.. » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

>COOOOOOL! IMHO Ab3d is shaping up to be the best of the Doom clones...  Will
>there be a gun graphic on Ab3d though ??????

>This game is going straight on my must rush out and buy the second it's
>released list ......

>Whenever that is......

>Markus.

Yes, there`s a gun graphic. Probably quite a lot of gun graphics from the
look of things.......

Andy.
.

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Mr Gavin Mor » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

: :
: : AB3D now has proper 3D monsters as well as the robot (which was vectors
: : anyway). It has (so far) four weapons including a flame thrower and a
: : rocket launcher, and will be expanded to around 14 when released. I also
: : put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
: : Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
: : to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
: : rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
: : innards which blast through the door in front of him.
: :
: : Andy.

: Wow, where do you get your awesome ideas from!?!?!?!?

   Probably the same place you got the ideas for Gloom from......

gavan
--

GLOOM, cool Doom game

Post by Angus Manwarin » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

: I also
: put in the bits of alien that go splotch when you hit them with a big gun.
: Small guns just make them die. Big guns blow them into chunks. Which stick
: to walls, then slide down. Proper blast effect too, so if player 2 has a
: rocket launcher you can tell when he`s coming by the shower of alien
: innards which blast through the door in front of him.

Ah, no doubt an invaluable piece of tactical knowledge.

SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT...Hmmmm, that'll be young Smythe coming now.

--
                             Cheers,
                                    Angus.

"We are both men of action," Westley replied. "Lies do not become us."
"Well spoken."said the Count, and with one sudden swing, he clubbed Westley
into insensitivity.