State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00





>George Noel rambled on about Re: State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend
>of mine has left)







>>>>With them going public also.. does this mean their investors are cutting
>>>>back or is it a grab to get more finances? If they don't have a machine
>>>>out by Christmas, I'd say its good riddance to them.

>>>I'll take that bet, if that means that, should we ship, I get to say
>>>"good riddance" to you, George. Are you bucking for the Mark Barrett
>>>"I'm an * and don't care who knows it" crown, or what? Say

>> :) Ooh.. seems like I hit a nerve.

>With quite a few people ...

Really. Its bad enough that I am devouted to the Amiga as much as I am, I
do NOT need to be devouted to a bunch of Ex Commodore engineers,
executives and support staff (like I said in my other post) who as of
right now offer me NO better solution then what I have and no major
difference to PC clones and Macs. Actually from what I can tell the future
of their platform is TOTALLY in the hands of everyone else and right now
that everyone else is on pretty shaky grounds or not even set in stone. I
have enough of that in the Amiga community.

And no I am not being an a$$hole and I resent being compared to Marc
Barrett (I forgot to add that in a past reply). I am looking at this via
reality, not blind devotion.

Quote:>>>something nice for a change.

>> I do. Its just that my respect for certain people and a certain company
>> has gone downhill since their get up and go, has got up and went.

>Oh, and what have YOU done for the Amiga lately, or in the past? Care to
>share?

Yup.. I have been buying hardware and software from actual Amiga
developers and dealers. I have been part of Usergroups involving the Amiga
(Vice-President at one time and acting president at another and before
that as a regular member), I have given opinions and suggestions to Amiga
related companies, I buy magazines, and I advocate the Amiga wherever I go
and keep people off the Internet aware of recent happenings to keep the
Amiga's name in everyone's mind or to let them hear of it for the first
time and to keep and eye out for it in the future. I have wrote letters to
the above said Amiga magazines and have had them published (I have
contemplated doing articles for said magazines also but just haven't done
them yet) and try to join whatever Amiga groups or initiatives I can to
show my support. Etc.  Also I am in the works locally of doing something
in print and via TV to help promote the Amiga. I could go on.. do I really
need to? If this isn't doing "something" for the Amiga, then I don't know
what is.

Quote:>>> Learn about computer architectures of the '90s.

>> I know enough that I need to know as a consumer and user, if I want to
>> further my technical needs, I'll change my major in University or go back
>> and do something different down the road. I see a lot of people saying
>> stuff like "get out of the '80s" etc. when it comes to the PIOS One.. now
>> I know where they get it from. :)

>Give me some quotes George. You continually make statements like this 'I

Let's see. Randy Vice, Dave Haynie himself on multiple occassions and at
least one other person recently who is an advocate of the PIOS One that
said it also but I forget his name. I am not going to bother to search for
direct quotes, but you can if you want to.. use Dejanews and check this
newsgroup with a keyword search on 80's and/or 80s and I am sure you are
bound to come across them.

Quote:>see a lot of people saying' ... who George? If you arwe going to make

Sorry, my mistake by assuming people posting here actually follow up on
what goes on here over the months or for assuming a lot of people read a
majority of the messages here or assuming that people could actually take
my word for something.

Quote:>comments, back them up or SHUT UP!!!

That's pretty harsh words coming from you Gary. From what I have seen, Ric
Lembree (SP!) never got this heated in the Amiga newsgroups. You ARE the
coordinator of Team Amiga right? Then I would think that you would be in
more of a situation to also see the difference in advocating the Amiga and
advocating the PIOS One.

>--
>Gary Peake, Coordinator            Dare To Do What You Dare To Dream
>*Team Amiga Worldwide*

>     Using Thor and Vapor betas! Register that shareware!

 ____________________________________________________________________________
 |C=     C=|   For   |  Such giants are these!  Great shoulders  |CD32  /// |
 |   C64c  |Jay Miner ->   bear so many.  I stand among them.    |A500 ///  |
 |200 MB HD|   RIP   |               - Dave Haynie               |    ///   |
 |Jiffy DOS|_________|___________________________________________|\\\///3000|

 |C=     C=|            http://www.veryComputer.com/~georgen            |Team AMIGA|
 |---------|-----------------------------------------------------|----------|
 |   CMD   |      Euripides - Never that which is shall die!     |Amiga Int.|
 |_________|_____________________________________________________|__________|
 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by Odd H. Sandvi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



So, George, how come you have Dave Haynie's name in your .sig if you
have such 'problems' with him these days ?

Lemme see... You liked him when he made that quote, but not now ?

:  ____________________________________________________________________________
:  |C=     C=|   For   |  Such giants are these!  Great shoulders  |CD32  /// |
:  |   C64c  |Jay Miner ->   bear so many.  I stand among them.    |A500 ///  |
:  |200 MB HD|   RIP   |               - Dave Haynie               |    ///   |
:  |Jiffy DOS|_________|___________________________________________|\\\///3000|

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Member of Convergence, The non-Wintel user-group.
            WWW pages: http://www.convergence.eu.org/

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by ARAM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On 10 Sep 1997 09:11:09 GMT




>>George Noel rambled on about Re: State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend
>>of mine has left)

<snip>

Quote:>That's pretty harsh words coming from you Gary. From what I have seen, Ric
>Lembree (SP!) never got this heated in the Amiga newsgroups. You ARE the
>coordinator of Team Amiga right? Then I would think that you would be in
>more of a situation to also see the difference in advocating the Amiga and
>advocating the PIOS One.

George, what you need is to read his words again to realize what he
meant.
You bash Amigans left and right, without knowing that they are
Amigans, and hopefully continue to use and support the Amiga.

Maybe you are doing that unintentionally or without knowing what that
means to the others and as a matter of fact you are giving a an
excellent opportunity for a pc user or other bashers that we have here
to widen the gap.

BTW, I can also take advantage of what was posted about you like you
did, but I won't.

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00





>So, George, how come you have Dave Haynie's name in your .sig if you
>have such 'problems' with him these days ?

I have explained that in the past. That quote is NOT meant for Dave
Haynie, look where the arrow is coming from.  It is meant for Jay Miner
but it just so happened that Dave Haynie said it. I didn't think I could
come up with anything better to describe Jay so I used it... initially
without Dave's name but figured since I got it from his video and he
initially said it, I'd put his name there out of courtesy. I even asked
him permission to use the quote even though I never had to and he
said sure but pointed that fact (that I never had to ask permission) out
to me anyways also.

Quote:>Lemme see... You liked him when he made that quote, but not now ?

It could also be explained that way but see above. I do not dislike Dave
Haynie, the man, the myth, the legend, I just dislike his new "vision".


>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>        Member of Convergence, The non-Wintel user-group.
>            WWW pages: http://www.convergence.eu.org/

 ____________________________________________________________________________
 |C=     C=|   For   |  Such giants are these!  Great shoulders  |CD32  /// |
 |   C64c  |Jay Miner ->   bear so many.  I stand among them.    |A500 ///  |
 |200 MB HD|   RIP   |               - Dave Haynie               |    ///   |
 |Jiffy DOS|_________|___________________________________________|\\\///3000|

 |C=     C=|            http://www.cs.mun.ca/~georgen            |Team AMIGA|
 |---------|-----------------------------------------------------|----------|
 |   CMD   |      Euripides - Never that which is shall die!     |Amiga Int.|
 |_________|_____________________________________________________|__________|
 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>On 10 Sep 1997 09:11:09 GMT




>>>George Noel rambled on about Re: State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend
>>>of mine has left)

><snip>

>>That's pretty harsh words coming from you Gary. From what I have seen, Ric
>>Lembree (SP!) never got this heated in the Amiga newsgroups. You ARE the
>>coordinator of Team Amiga right? Then I would think that you would be in
>>more of a situation to also see the difference in advocating the Amiga and
>>advocating the PIOS One.

>George, what you need is to read his words again to realize what he
>meant.

I know full well what he meant.. when he specifically asks about Dave
Haynie and PIOS, well, that's the writing on the wall.

Quote:>You bash Amigans left and right, without knowing that they are

No I don't. I can name others that do though.

Quote:>Amigans, and hopefully continue to use and support the Amiga.

I do not comment on people or things I do not know about.

Quote:>Maybe you are doing that unintentionally or without knowing what that

I am not doing anything unintentionally.

Quote:>means to the others and as a matter of fact you are giving a an

I am hoping others will wake up and smell the roses.

Quote:>excellent opportunity for a pc user or other bashers that we have here
>to widen the gap.

They can widen the gap all they want with PIOS, it is not an Amiga company
nor developing Amiga hardware. End of story.

Quote:>BTW, I can also take advantage of what was posted about you like you
>did, but I won't.

Sorry, you lost me here.

-=*George*=-

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by ARAM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On 14 Sep 1997 09:15:36 GMT


Quote:>They can widen the gap all they want with PIOS, it is not an Amiga company
>nor developing Amiga hardware. End of story.

You are wrong here, they are Amiga people, but I guess if you want to
stay with AGA/Zorro III/68K, then by that definition any updates are
not Amiga.

You can still implement emulation for the old HW/Sw, and bring new
ideas.

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>On 14 Sep 1997 09:15:36 GMT


>>They can widen the gap all they want with PIOS, it is not an Amiga company
>>nor developing Amiga hardware. End of story.

>You are wrong here, they are Amiga people, but I guess if you want to

They are Amiga people yes, they as a whole are not an Amiga company
though.

Quote:>stay with AGA/Zorro III/68K, then by that definition any updates are
>not Amiga.

No and no.

Quote:>You can still implement emulation for the old HW/Sw, and bring new
>ideas.

Sure.

-=*George*=-

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by ARAM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On 17 Sep 1997 07:54:08 GMT




>>On 14 Sep 1997 09:15:36 GMT


>>>They can widen the gap all they want with PIOS, it is not an Amiga company
>>>nor developing Amiga hardware. End of story.

>>You are wrong here, they are Amiga people, but I guess if you want to

>They are Amiga people yes, they as a whole are not an Amiga company
>though.

Yes they are, but you need to take al look at that.
Their design is according to David Haynie based on the Amiga, and they
have plans to ship their system with pOS, which is IMHO a good
alternative to AMiga OS, if only ProDAD addresses the old SW as an
emulation.

Quote:>>stay with AGA/Zorro III/68K, then by that definition any updates are
>>not Amiga.

>No and no.

Then explain what a new or modern Amiga is.
 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>On 17 Sep 1997 07:54:08 GMT


>>>stay with AGA/Zorro III/68K, then by that definition any updates are
>>>not Amiga.

>>No and no.

>Then explain what a new or modern Amiga is.

As long as it contains a lot of old Amiga characteristics but is done in a
modern way using modern hardware then it is a modern Amiga.

Ie: PPC CPU, PPC AmigaOS, faster busses, PCI slots, better memory, taking
advantage of a lot of PCI cards (sound, graphics etc.) which has RTG, RTA
as standard but eventually also carries over a majority of the ideas
anyways present in the Amiga custom chips by creating a new Amiga custom
chipset with the latest technology to increase speed, reduce cost, reduce
power consumption and also adds new ideas in there and meet up to the
standard as much as possible to PC clone chipsets with this new chipset
coming standard on all future Amigas after that which are made.

Then keeping the knick-knacks like hidden messages/song names on the
motherboard, easter eggs in the ROMs/OS, names for each chip being female
oriented, keeping the full functionality of Screens, the ability for a
light on the keyboard to blink via software (I know, useless really but it
was cool.. it added to the Amiga image and uniqueness), disks
auto-booting, auto-config (but upgraded), Left Amiga N, Left Amiga M,
Ctrl Amiga Amiga, the Guru meditation error (but with improved animation
of a Guru [I liked the suggestion someone posted lately :) ]) etc. etc..
all the things which distinguish the Amiga apart from other computers.

-=*George*=-

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by ARAM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On 19 Sep 1997 15:57:32 GMT


Quote:>>>>stay with AGA/Zorro III/68K, then by that definition any updates are
>>>>not Amiga.

>>>No and no.

>>Then explain what a new or modern Amiga is.

>As long as it contains a lot of old Amiga characteristics but is done in a
>modern way using modern hardware then it is a modern Amiga.

>Ie: PPC CPU, PPC AmigaOS, faster busses, PCI slots, better memory, taking

               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*Grin* You said earlier this is not needed.

Quote:>advantage of a lot of PCI cards (sound, graphics etc.) which has RTG, RTA
>as standard but eventually also carries over a majority of the ideas
>anyways present in the Amiga custom chips by creating a new Amiga custom
>chipset with the latest technology to increase speed, reduce cost, reduce
>power consumption and also adds new ideas in there and meet up to the
>standard as much as possible to PC clone chipsets with this new chipset
>coming standard on all future Amigas after that which are made.

<snip>

Err, haven't I been saying the above all this time, and you repeated
it in other words with some add ons?

There was a whole lot argument about those modern AMigas earlier.

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by Dr. Peter Kitt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00





>>Then explain what a new or modern Amiga is.

>Then keeping the knick-knacks like hidden messages/song names on the
>motherboard, easter eggs in the ROMs/OS,

This seems to be more Windows/Mac style these days...

Quote:> names for each chip being female
>oriented,

Hmm, but Amiga always had a fair balance of male and female names
of its chips.

--
Best Regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       // http://www.pios.de of PIOS

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by George No » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>On 19 Sep 1997 15:57:32 GMT



[SNIP]

Quote:>>>Then explain what a new or modern Amiga is.

>>As long as it contains a lot of old Amiga characteristics but is done in a
>>modern way using modern hardware then it is a modern Amiga.

>>Ie: PPC CPU, PPC AmigaOS, faster busses, PCI slots, better memory, taking
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>*Grin* You said earlier this is not needed.

Not for PowerUP to work, no.. quit twisting facts and/or the situation.

Quote:>>advantage of a lot of PCI cards (sound, graphics etc.) which has RTG, RTA
>>as standard but eventually also carries over a majority of the ideas
>>anyways present in the Amiga custom chips by creating a new Amiga custom
>>chipset with the latest technology to increase speed, reduce cost, reduce
>>power consumption and also adds new ideas in there and meet up to the
>>standard as much as possible to PC clone chipsets with this new chipset
>>coming standard on all future Amigas after that which are made.

><snip>

>Err, haven't I been saying the above all this time, and you repeated
>it in other words with some add ons?

I don't care what you have been saying.. this is my opinion of a future
Amiga and if I had to pick through your posts to find a future, positive,
description of an Amiga, I'd have a hell of a hard time doing so because
of all the negativity you present.

Quote:>There was a whole lot argument about those modern AMigas earlier.

Not that I saw it.. new Amigas are shipping. They contain a modern CPU yet
we cannot call them modern Amigas. We might never see a modern Amiga
again.. but I am eagerly awaiting AI press releases.

 ____________________________________________________________________________
 |C=     C=|   For   |  Such giants are these!  Great shoulders  |CD32  /// |
 |   C64c  |Jay Miner ->   bear so many.  I stand among them.    |A500 ///  |
 |200 MB HD|   RIP   |               - Dave Haynie               |    ///   |
 |Jiffy DOS|_________|___________________________________________|\\\///3000|

 |C=     C=|            http://www.cs.mun.ca/~georgen            |Team AMIGA|
 |---------|-----------------------------------------------------|----------|
 |   CMD   |      Euripides - Never that which is shall die!     |Amiga Int.|
 |_________|_____________________________________________________|__________|

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by ARAM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On 23 Sep 1997 06:31:57 GMT


Quote:>>>Ie: PPC CPU, PPC AmigaOS, faster busses, PCI slots, better memory, taking
>>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>*Grin* You said earlier this is not needed.

>Not for PowerUP to work, no.. quit twisting facts and/or the situation.

Bingo I knew it , you'll use the same word as you ran out of logic(if
any), not to mention that you are still wrong and trying to cover
yourself.

Earlier you said no need for that, and everything could be done
through patching, and you are denying again, silly.

Quote:>>>advantage of a lot of PCI cards (sound, graphics etc.) which has RTG, RTA
>>>as standard but eventually also carries over a majority of the ideas
>>>anyways present in the Amiga custom chips by creating a new Amiga custom
>>>chipset with the latest technology to increase speed, reduce cost, reduce
>>>power consumption and also adds new ideas in there and meet up to the
>>>standard as much as possible to PC clone chipsets with this new chipset
>>>coming standard on all future Amigas after that which are made.

>><snip>

>>Err, haven't I been saying the above all this time, and you repeated
>>it in other words with some add ons?

>I don't care what you have been saying..

Who gives a f**k about what you care?
There was a discussion about modern Amigas and you jumped in
cluelessly, as usual, without any idea of who said what, and what you
care for has absolutely no value here.

Quote:>this is my opinion of a future Amiga

Wrong and narrow vision, and a boring one too.

Quote:>and if I had to pick through your posts to find a future, positive,
>description of an Amiga, I'd have a hell of a hard time doing so because
>of all the negativity you present.

And this comes from the same guy who constantly attacked PIOS, and
Amiga veterans.

Heh, positive. ;-)

Quote:>>There was a whole lot argument about those modern AMigas earlier.

>Not that I saw it..

Then don't post *about something you have no idea about, for the
nth time.

Quote:> new Amigas are shipping.

New yes but not modern, enough whining.

Quote:>They contain a modern CPU yet
>we cannot call them modern Amigas.

Then again stop spewing BS, you already said it yourself.

Quote:>We might never see a modern Amiga

Yeah, since everything could be done through patching/adding, right?
BTW, try to bring valid argument rather than screaming "twist"like a
child, everytime you run out of points.

Quote:>again.. but I am eagerly awaiting AI press releases.

We all are.
 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by Stephen B Hod » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



: Hmm, but Amiga always had a fair balance of male and female names
: of its chips.

I was under the impression they where all female: Agnus, Denise, Paula,
Alice, Gayle etc. The only male one that comes to mind is Gary which was
only the bus controller, IIRC.

--
 Steve Hodge

 Computer Science Dept, University of Waikato,
 Hamilton, New Zealand

 
 
 

State of PIOS (was Re: Yet another friend of mine has left)

Post by Ben Hutchin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00





>: Hmm, but Amiga always had a fair balance of male and female names
>: of its chips.

>I was under the impression they where all female: Agnus, Denise, Paula,
>Alice, Gayle etc. The only male one that comes to mind is Gary which was
>only the bus controller, IIRC.

Gary is just a gate array (hence the name); there are various different
versions of Gary for different machines because different machines
require different little bits of glue.  There's also Buster, Ramsey,
Akiko, and several others with male names.
--
Ben Hutchings, compsci&mathmo | ICOAmiga http://www.lapcopaintball.com/icoa/

Usenet Commandment no.6: Thou shalt e-mail personal prayers. I tell you, it
is better to whisper into an ear than shout into a crowd.