HELP, with my RocTec RocHard

Post by G. Grego » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

While trying to use HDToolbox to install multiuser on my RocTec RocHard
80Meg IDE harddrive, I have managed to make it so the computer doesnt
even recognise that there is a drive there. HDToolbox is not much help
as it doesnt seem to be able to cope with the RocTec rtidedisk.device.
I bought the drive second hand so I dont have any of the Prepping software
or instructions that might have come with the drive, so I dont even know
what the DIP switches on the back do. Also if someone has info on the wiring
of the SCSI port at back then please send if possible.

If you can help me please get in touch, as I am completely lost and need
my HardDrive back as soon as is possible.

--
 __Delicious Pain____________________________________________________________
( "There is no pleasure but for pain"   | http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~ceeggg    )

(__Happiness_in_Slavery_________________|____________________________________)

HELP, with my RocTec RocHard

Post by Scott Marlo » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: While trying to use HDToolbox to install multiuser on my RocTec RocHard
: 80Meg IDE harddrive, I have managed to make it so the computer doesnt
: even recognise that there is a drive there. HDToolbox is not much help
: as it doesnt seem to be able to cope with the RocTec rtidedisk.device.
: I bought the drive second hand so I dont have any of the Prepping software
: or instructions that might have come with the drive, so I dont even know
: what the DIP switches on the back do. Also if someone has info on the wiring
: of the SCSI port at back then please send if possible.

Sorry to say the RocTec is NOT RDB and scsi-direct compliant.  This means that
most things like btntape and amicdrom just don't work with it, and
HDToolBox, expecting an RDB compliant device, doesn't work either.

You should ALWAYS insist on the original disks for ANY piece of hardware,
unless you're getting is super cheap, since some hardware is useless
without its prepping software.  The roctec is one of these devices.

HELP, with my RocTec RocHard

Post by Lonnie McClur » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In a message dated 11-29-95, G. Gregory said:

          "I bought the drive second hand so I dont have any
           of the Prepping software or instructions that might
           have come with the drive, so I dont even know what
           the DIP switches on the back do."

If you get no response from any in the UK, reply via e-mail to me with
your address, and I will see about mailing you a copy of the install
diskette for my Roctec. Of course, as I live in the US, that would be
something of a solution of last resort.

I would offer the same for the relavent parts of the manual, but as
I am not certain where it is at the moment, I cannot promise that.
However, I can tell you that the DIP switches on my unit are set as
follows: 1-2 are DOWN (On), and 3-8 are UP. I cannot recall what they
are all for, but I have gone from 1.3 to 2.04 to 3.1 without ever
changing them, and have never had a problem. I do recall one is to be
used if you are using Kickstart 1.2. I seem to recall some of the others
are used for setting the SCSI address of an internally installed SCSI
drive.

Although you didn't ask, I suspect you don't know what the black
position rocker switch on the back of the unit is for either. It is a
"game switch". For full use of the harddrive, and any internal memory,
it should be switched so that the "||" legend is pushed inward, and the
"|" legend protrudes out. One of the other positions disables both the
hard drive and memory, and the other just one of the two (although I
don't recall which).

          "Also if someone has info on the wiring of the
           SCSI port at back then please send if possible."

The SCSI port is supposed to use the same pinouts as the SCSI interface
on the back of any Macintosh (which was also followed by GVP for their
drive for the A500, and by Commodore's own A590, as well, as I recall).

--
================================

1. Roctec RocHard HELP!

Purchaced a used external Roctec RocHard "slap-on-the-side" harddrive
for my son's Amiga 500 and I'm having trouble getting it set-up or
his system.  The harddrive didn't come with a manual and when I took
the top cover off. . . it flipped some of the dip switches on the
back so don't know what the original setting where.  I've got the
A500 to recognize the hardcard and the memory but no the 52 Quantum
drive.  If your familiar with this settup, what I really need is what
dip switch settings I need.  There are 8 dip switches on the back of
the unit.  I know that the unit works with this drive since the
previous owner had me remove his 52meg Quantum drive before I got
it.  Really hating randomly setting switches since there will be
about 8 to the 8th power combinations. . . or so. 8 /

                              Thanks in advance,
                                                       Merle

2. A Time Clock for your PC

3. Help with ROCTEC RocHard

4. Global Village TelePort Platinum (v.FAST inquiry)

5. Roctec Rochard drivers

6. AI in scheme

7. Wanted: Opinions on Roctec RocHard A500 SCSI controller...

8. Safe to use NT 4 SP6 with SMS 2?

9. need roctec rochard controller software

10. TRADE: Roctec RocHard, AdSpeed, HAM-E

11. ROCTEC RocHard

12. RocTec/RocHard HD Controller

13. A500 RocTec RocHard SCSI/IDE Contr/Mem X