What's new?

Post by Kerry Varell » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:44:16

Hi to all!

I'm new to this group. I had an Amiga for many years, a totally equipped
Amiga 1200 and a 600+, until I bought one of those PC animals around
there... Even with more power on the PC I decided to install WinUAE and
start transfering my beloved amiga games to my PC disk drive and... HAVE
FUN!

Well, since then on, I never touched my real amiga, although it's well
placed in my room as a good memory of the past :(

The past?

I read all the discussions in this group and just got surprised!!
Is the Amiga still alive?? How is it possible? I thought that, yet in 1998
or so that I bought my PC, the Amiga was nearly dead. There weren't not many
good games around and not much support around. Only a few blasting companies
were able to deliver good games (Capital Punishment, for example, and other
conversions of games like Myst and so)

But the question is: What's the difference between the Amiga world then and
the Amiga World today?
Waiting for your replies :)

Thank you!

What's new?

Post by Jon-Pau » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:28:51

Quote:

> Hi to all!

> I'm new to this group. I had an Amiga for many years, a totally equipped
> Amiga 1200 and a 600+, until I bought one of those PC animals around
> there... Even with more power on the PC I decided to install WinUAE and
> start transfering my beloved amiga games to my PC disk drive and... HAVE
> FUN!

> Well, since then on, I never touched my real amiga, although it's well
> placed in my room as a good memory of the past :(

> The past?

> I read all the discussions in this group and just got surprised!!
> Is the Amiga still alive?? How is it possible? I thought that, yet in 1998
> or so that I bought my PC, the Amiga was nearly dead. There weren't not
many
> good games around and not much support around. Only a few blasting
companies
> were able to deliver good games (Capital Punishment, for example, and
other
> conversions of games like Myst and so)

> But the question is: What's the difference between the Amiga world then
and
> the Amiga World today?
> Waiting for your replies :)

> Thank you!

It just refuses to lie down and die.

Nice competent machine, cracking games with major replay value. Usability
still relevent today with internet connectivity a distinct possibility.

Then there IS the retro thing. Those of us who had Amiga's as kids or
*agers are getting to the point where we start regreting selling up and
moving on, and decide to re-build our collections, or build that 'Hot Amiga'
we always lusted after but never could afford. (that will be me then) ;)

I suppose its also evolved to become the hardware equivelent of Linux, so
many bolt ons have been developed over the years its got to the point that
you are no longer entierly sure that underneath those PPC 400mhz
accelrators, PCI card add ons etc, new graphics cards and sound cards etc
that there still is an actual 1200 motherboard holding it all together
inside that hacked about tower case.

Oh and Linux 68K as well wil run on it.

check www.eyetech.co.uk for information on the new amiga the AmigaOne. Seems
an interesting idea, but its not a proper Amiga to me. I'm stopping at 3.1
roms, an 030 accelorator, CD drive and hard disk.

You may want to check out the market place and hardware newsgroups, The
amiga community does seem to dislike of toppic wibble like this :)

--
Regards
Jon-Paul

What's new?

Post by Juha Niemimak » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:00:42

> I suppose its also evolved to become the hardware equivelent of Linux, so
> many bolt ons have been developed over the years its got to the point that
> you are no longer entierly sure that underneath those PPC 400mhz

Well, more like ~200 MHz PPCs for classic Amigas.

Quote:> check www.eyetech.co.uk for information on the new amiga the AmigaOne. Seems
> an interesting idea, but its not a proper Amiga to me. I'm stopping at 3.1
> roms, an 030 accelorator, CD drive and hard disk.

AmigaOne, as well as classic Amigas with PPC card (A4000 and A1200) will
run AmigaOS 4. Classic Amigas should also run MorphOS (when released to
public), which is currently running on another PPC-based board called
Pegasos.

~JON

1. Why the 'New Amiga' will not be the 'Revolution'

The way I see it....The New Amiga is in no means going to be a
Revolution. I just don't see it being able to gain enough ground.
(Anyone know current user estimates) I am also sure that it will be a
better seller in Europe then in the US. Our European Brothers have it
better there then we do here in the states. IMHO. I think that the only
way for it to gain the support is through the Partnerships with
prominent company's. IE AMD, Intel, Micron. Also HP and Mitsubishi. If
they could somehow become a part of this. They would have there
prominence and be able to propell the Amiga into a larger sector. Also I
think if Advertising against Apple and IBM-Esque machines then people
feed up with those machines would be more inclined to purchase.

    AJM

"The only way to really appreciate the world is to see it blown sky
high!"- Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"

2. Visual CE - Help Needed Badly!

3. New DataFlyer 'box' for 1200's??

4. Reader Field does not work

5. SAS/C 6.55 won't compile a 'new.h' example, why?

6. HELP please epson lx-86 + win 95

7. C= UK's new after sales service and a NEW MACHINE (confirmed?)

8. New NEW A1200's

9. New 'Amiga'

10. Clay's feet's new shoes

11. NeXT vs. Mac -- Atari's new '486 emulator

12. New shoot'em'up