A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by tes » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
   I've been having problems with my A3000's Hi density floppy and was
wondering if it had to do with my cable.  Is there supposed to be a twist in
the cable which swaps some of the pins on the connectors like a PC floppy?  The
one I have doesn't.

TIA,

Kurt

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by Holle » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

My A3000 has the orgional cable - it has a twist for DF0:, but not in the same
place as a PC cable (thats why I'm willing to pay Eyetech 5 for a proper one
... : )
James

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by Bruce Brau » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>    I've been having problems with my A3000's Hi density floppy and was
> wondering if it had to do with my cable.  Is there supposed to be a twist in
> the cable which swaps some of the pins on the connectors like a PC floppy?  The
> one I have doesn't.

> TIA,

> Kurt

The floppy cable that I have in my A3000 (which has two ends for df0,
and df1) has a twist in one end and is straight through on the other.
(to differentiate between the two) can't remember which one was for
which though.

But what exactly is the problem that you are experiencing? because it
may not be the cable that is at fault here.

Such as dirty/misaligned heads on the drive itself.

--
Bruce Braun
Team AMIGA

WWW:   http://www.hotkey.net.au/~audio

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by tes » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for all the replies.  The problems I'm having are that I can't use my
drive in Hi-density mode.  If I put a hi-density floppy in an try to format it
it will only format it in 880k mode.  If I attempt to format PC0: it will
attempt to format it as a 1.44meg PC floppy but will fail.  The fact that it
recognizes the high density floppy in PC mode leads me to rule out that it
could be the hi-density sensor switch that's failing.  I do only have a
straight through cable and am going to get a proper one and test.  I read on
the National Amiga tech pages that this twist is required for df0:

Is it possible that I need to adjust the pot on the bottom of the drive?  How
would I clean the heads?

Kurt

>> Hi,
>>    I've been having problems with my A3000's Hi density floppy and was
>> wondering if it had to do with my cable.  Is there supposed to be a twist in
>> the cable which swaps some of the pins on the connectors like a PC floppy?
The
>> one I have doesn't.

>> TIA,

>> Kurt

>The floppy cable that I have in my A3000 (which has two ends for df0,
>and df1) has a twist in one end and is straight through on the other.
>(to differentiate between the two) can't remember which one was for
>which though.

>But what exactly is the problem that you are experiencing? because it
>may not be the cable that is at fault here.

>Such as dirty/misaligned heads on the drive itself.

>--
>Bruce Braun
>Team AMIGA
>A3000 Hacked into a Tower
>GVP-GFORCE 040/40
>CV64/3D, Opalvision
>Fastlane Z3 scsi II/GVP scsi I
>62eg Ram, 3.5gig total Hard Drive space
>V90, 12x CD-rom

>WWW:   http://www.hotkey.net.au/~audio

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by Holle » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You shouldn't need to adjust anything on the drive, unless it's getting very
old and has become mis-aligned (trying to correct that at home is usually hard
to get right).
  To clean the head, the easiest way is to use a cotton bud and an *
based cleaner, the top of the drive should just unclip with the aid of a pair
of snip nosed pliers, if the heads are too close to get a bud in-between them
trick it into thinking theres a floppy in, in wich position the heads should be
sprung, and your cotton bud get inable (be gentle though : ).  That or you
could just get a cleaning disk ...
James

Post by Marcel DeVo » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> You shouldn't need to adjust anything on the drive, unless it's getting very
> old and has become mis-aligned

Actually, the pot adjustment is for the speed of the drive and is not the
track alignment. The speed is set to 300 rpm for DD disks. The electronics
halve it to 150 rpm when it senses an HD floppy.

The track alignment is a machanical adjustment of the motor on the back of
the drive.

NEITHER one of these should be touched as it's a precision
factory adjustment.

Quote:>(trying to correct that at home is usually hard to get right).

Actually, there was a program sold by Free Spirit I think (I actually have
it around somewhere), that had a calibrated floppy disk to make the
alignment. I never found it to be any good as the problem wasn't usually
an alighment problem but was usually something else, such as dirty heads
or dust in the drive.

Since the calibration disk wasn't supposed to be write protected in order
to do some of the aligning process, naturally I accidentally formated
it, :( rendering it useless.

No great loss.

--

A4091scsi CV64 64 megs CDROM M1764-17" Catweasel FUSION/Emplant
A4000/060 *Storm MKII overclocked 66mhz - see "How to Overclock!"

Got an overclocking story to tell of /any/ kind?
Send it to me and I will post it to my "Overclocker's Web Page".

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by Rask Ingemann Lambertse » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

On 07-Jun-99 20:35:05, test wrote the following about "A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?":

Quote:> Hi,
>    I've been having problems with my A3000's Hi density floppy and was
> wondering if it had to do with my cable.  Is there supposed to be a twist in
>  the cable which swaps some of the pins on the connectors like a PC floppy?
> The  one I have doesn't.

   I'm just wondering if the A3000 cable has the same problem as the A4000
one. From Warren Block's A4000 Hardware Guide:

----------
Floppy Drive Cable Problems

Many (perhaps most) A4000s were shipped with improperly-wired floppy cables.
These cables had wires 3-5 twisted, instead of wires 4-6. These cables will
work fine for a single drive, but will not properly connect a second drive.
To use two drives that are both jumpered as DS0, the floppy cable should have
both wires 4-6 and 10-12 twisted. A cable with only wires 4-6 twisted will
require the drives to be jumpered as DS0 and DS1.

An improperly-wired or failing floppy cable can cause a high-density drive to
only work with double-density disks.
----------

   My A4000 desktop floppy cable has the wrong wires twisted.

   Is it DF0: or DF1: you are having problems with?

Regards,

/T\

| Registered Phase5 developer  | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/   |
| A4000, 775 kkeys/s (RC5-64)  | "ThrustMe" on XPilot and EFnet IRC      |
| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue   |

A3000 internal floppy cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable?

Post by tes » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sounds like we're closing in on the source of this problem.  I just have the
one floppy in my machine - df0:  I sent it to get serviced and when I got it
back the floppy ceased to function as a hi-density unit.  I noticed that I had
just a straight through cable so I thought that this might be the source of
the problem.

Kurt

Quote:

>On 07-Jun-99 20:35:05, test wrote the following about "A3000 internal floppy

cable question - straight through or twist like PC floppy cable
>> Hi,
>>    I've been having problems with my A3000's Hi density floppy and was
>> wondering if it had to do with my cable.  Is there supposed to be a twist in
>>  the cable which swaps some of the pins on the connectors like a PC floppy?
>> The  one I have doesn't.

>   I'm just wondering if the A3000 cable has the same problem as the A4000
>one. From Warren Block's A4000 Hardware Guide:

>----------
>Floppy Drive Cable Problems

>Many (perhaps most) A4000s were shipped with improperly-wired floppy cables.
>These cables had wires 3-5 twisted, instead of wires 4-6. These cables will
>work fine for a single drive, but will not properly connect a second drive.
>To use two drives that are both jumpered as DS0, the floppy cable should have
>both wires 4-6 and 10-12 twisted. A cable with only wires 4-6 twisted will
>require the drives to be jumpered as DS0 and DS1.

>An improperly-wired or failing floppy cable can cause a high-density drive to
>only work with double-density disks.
>----------

>   My A4000 desktop floppy cable has the wrong wires twisted.

>   Is it DF0: or DF1: you are having problems with?

>Regards,

>/T\

>| Registered Phase5 developer  | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/   |
>| A4000, 775 kkeys/s (RC5-64)  | "ThrustMe" on XPilot and EFnet IRC      |
>| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue   |

1. PC floppy cable twist

Hi All,

  In my continuing A1200 tower job, I've picked up a pc style floppy cable
with the twist on the last connector.  Am I correct in assuming that
connector won't work with the 1200?  Also, I don't think I can just
connect two drives to the same cable and have a df0: and a df1:, at least
not on a 1200..  or can I?

--

John Mason   --   ICQ 17931257
http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ah210/Profile.html

2. Aceex 1414 + AT&D0 = problem

3. PC 1.44 floppy as A-500 internal 880kB floppy

4. Pioneer 10x and Win95

5. Amiga internal floppy drive cable

6. Change Resolution - Function Key?

7. Internal floppy cable

8. 10base2 cabling

9. A2000 internal floppy cable pinout requested

10. Needed-A500 internal floppy cable

11. WANTED: Internal floppy drive cable for Amiga 500