A3000 towering options?

Post by Stom » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I seem to recall posting this the other day, but I don't see it in the messages
and so I will try again.
        A customer has asked me what his options for putting his 3000 in a tower are.
As I'm not too familiar with the 3000s in general, I told him I would see if I
could get some opinions/answers for him.  Also, if you have or know of where to
get a tower setup for a 3000, I'd love to be able to let him know.

Thanks!
Christine

                       Proud Team *AMIGA* Member
       Treasurer - ACCUG (Albany Corvallis Computer Users Group)
               "IRQs?  We don't need no stinking IRQs!"
     ///   -----------------------------------------------------

\\\///     -----------------------------------------------------
 \///    Stop by Camp Amiga at:  http://www.dnc.net/users/stomc/

A3000 towering options?

Post by MSG_NOT_S » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Its not that pretty (yet), but I just recently bought a full tower PC case (it was a
well worn 386 clone) for $3, gutted it, used a hacksaw to cut out the backplate, and
put the A3000
in the tower.  I actually didn't remove the motherboard from the original metal case, but
managed to fit the case in, and drill a couple screws to secure it.  By doing this, I could
take the drive chassis ou, which will solve overheating/space problems when I add in a PPC
card. The old 386 had a huge but comparatively week 200 watt power supply, which i removed
to make way for the A3000 supply plus a newer pc supply, to power the hard disk, cdrom etc.
This was a really simple solution, since it really only involved cutting up the backplane
of the tower to fit the amiga outputs and new power supplies.  On the other hand, its not
very elegant... if I wanted to take the time, I could have made it a little more professional
by rewiring the power supply and eliminating the amiga's original metal case and rewiring the
outputs (ie parallel port etc.) to fit on the PC backplane (without using a hacksaw).  It
works for me though.

Mike Cardwell

> Hi,

> I seem to recall posting this the other day, but I don't see it in the messages
> and so I will try again.
>  A customer has asked me what his options for putting his 3000 in a tower are.
> As I'm not too familiar with the 3000s in general, I told him I would see if I
> could get some opinions/answers for him.  Also, if you have or know of where to
> get a tower setup for a 3000, I'd love to be able to let him know.

> Thanks!
> Christine

> --
>                        Proud Team *AMIGA* Member
>        Treasurer - ACCUG (Albany Corvallis Computer Users Group)
>                "IRQs?  We don't need no stinking IRQs!"
>      ///   -----------------------------------------------------

> \\\///     -----------------------------------------------------
>  \///    Stop by Camp Amiga at:  http://www.dnc.net/users/stomc/

1. A3000 upgrade Tower Options?

Are there any tower kits available for the A3000
with an expanded ZorroIII board?

Jaeson K.
--
Jaeson & Jennifer Koszarsky   Amiga 3000-Enhanced
---------------------------   -------------------

Recommended reading:

"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan

2. MPTS update not finished

3. Options for turning A1200 into a tower

4. Linux SNMP master agent

5. What options are there to put A4000 in a tower ?

6. Good link on AT command

7. Tower options

8. dump parameters for HP 9145 tape drive

9. Advice: A1200 tower case options

10. Tower options (A1200) + Siamese

11. options for putting 4000 in tower

12. A4000 68060 TOWER system, A3000-Tower, Video Toaster, PAR, AD516