Nanobelts coil up for piezoelectricity...

Post by Ken Kubo » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:19:55

Nanobelts coil up for piezoelectricity

Researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology, US, have made
single-crystal zinc oxide (ZnO) nanobelts that spontaneously rolled
themselves up into helical structures. The nanohelixes had piezoelectric
properties and could have applications in microsystems and the biomedical
field.

"Piezoelectric and ferroelectric-based smart materials are just as important
as semiconductor nanostructures, because they are the transducers and
actuators for nanoscale machines and devices," researcher Zhong Lin Wang
told nanotechweb.org. "We have reported, for the very first time, the
successful synthesis of structurally controlled piezoelectric and
ferroelectric ZnO nanobelts 10-60 nm wide and 5-20 nm thick. The most
exciting result is the formation of single crystalline ZnO helical
nanosprings due to spontaneous polarization."

To grow the nanobelts, Wang and colleague Xiang Yang Kong used a
solid-vapour process. They heated ZnO powder in a horizontal tube furnace,
depositing ZnO nanostructures onto an alumina substrate. Most of the
nanostructures were nanobelts up to several hundreds of microns long, but
the scientists also saw nanobelts in a ring shape, and helical structures
consisting of coiled-up nanobelts. These helices, or nanosprings, had radii
of about 500-800 nm.

For the greatest piezoelectric effect, it's desirable to have ZnO
nanostructures with a large area of polarized (0001) zinc- and
oxygen-terminated surfaces. However, the (0001) surface has a high surface
energy and so its growth is energetically unfavourable. By carefully
controlling the experimental conditions, the Georgia team succeeded in
producing structures with surfaces dominated by (0001) facets. In fact,
electron diffraction studies indicated that more than 90% of the nanobelts
had top flat surfaces consisting of polar (0001) facets.

According to the scientists, the nanobelts and nanosprings are an ideal
system for understanding piezoelectricity and polarization-induced
ferroelectricity at the nanoscale. They could also have applications as
sensors, nanoinductors, transducers, actuators, and tunable functional
components for microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and
nanoelectromechanical systems (NEMS). In addition, the different polar
surfaces - zinc- and oxygen-terminated - could find a use as selective
catalysts, and the helical nanosprings' tunable pitch distance could help to
separate DNA double-helix chains and tailor DNA structures via
electromechanical coupling.

"My future research will focus on two directions: application and
integration of piezoelectric nanobelt materials with microsystems, and
applications of nanobelts in biomedical science," added Wang. "We will work
on the emergence of the nanobelt structure for improving the performance of
MEMS and NEMS. We'd also like to use these materials for in-situ, real-time,
non-destructive and remote monitoring and detection of cancer cells."

The researchers reported their work in Nano Letters.

http://www.nanotechweb.org/articles/news/2/8/13/1

About the author

Liz Kalaugher is editor of nanotechweb.org.

--
Ken

"Iran would be dangerous if they have a nuclear weapon."

- Washington, D.C., June 18, 2003
 - President Bushisms

1. UPS Support for OS/2: APC Back-UPS 650 Pro

OS/2 Users asks for help:

"I have just been given an APC Back-UPS 650 Pro.

I'm trying to interface it to OS/2 to provide automatic
shut-downs when the batteries are about to fail.  I
found a utility that claims to work on Hobbes.  But
it does not seem to work.  I sent a message to the author
but he is not responding (yet, he might be on vacation, etc.)

Does anyone know of any other source of support?  Obviously
I would like complete support for all the features available.
However, what I want and need most is a signal that the batteries
are running out and the system better be shut down to avoid losing
data.  Making major use of HPFS, it is a real pain when the system
is shut down abruptly even if no data is in danger."

2. Lock and unlock workstations

3. UPS - UPS 6/99

4. A1200 graphics card options?

5. problems with UPS + ups software

6. Multiple DC's in Domain using SBS2003

7. UPS software for Smart-ups from APC

8. syntax problem

9. apc smart ups loses connection after ups-test

10. HELP! UPS Part for NCR/Exide UPS!

11. AP940-020 APC UPS Schema RS232<=>UPS

12. Help: How do you Create a UPS cable for the APC Backup-UPS 400 !!!

13. POP-UPS, LOSE OF CONNECTION, LOCK-UPS, MESSENGER