Theory: CycOS

Post by Jorn Barg » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:40:46

Now that storage is so cheap (hard drives, and readwrite CDs
and DVDs), it's clear to me that operating systems need to
add a gigantic knowledge-base layer with hooks that let all
applications share it.

Spellchecker and thesaurus are the simplest level of this.
A local mirror of DMoz with symbolic links to Yahoo's
parallel categories is another.  A private equivalent of
the IMDb (for movies) and Amazon for books and music is
another.

Each of these would be customised for one's own tastes,
and one should be able to flag favorite artists/topics/etc
so that background searches can be done for new articles.

But a much more interesting challenge, I think, is a
semantically well-defined _timeline_ of the universe,
into which articles can be sorted by topic-date, from
Big Bang to today's headlines.

I've prototyped the full scale logarithmically, to
explore what this might require:
 http://www.robotwisdom.com/science/logarithmic.html

The semantics have to include 'star' and 'planet' and
'molecule' with verbs like 'comes into being' and
'ceases to exist'.  Biological populations should be
traced geographically, with population surges and
plunges tallied and explained (Ice Age, mastery of fire).
Food sources could be identified for each species, and
for humans the normal toolkit used (tailored clothing,
bow-and-arrow, fire drill).

Authors' and artists' creative works could be indexed
as well, and one's own autobiography (incl email).

Theory: CycOS

Post by eric ro » Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:22:12

I have always felt that the human mind itself best epitomises (and
perhaps resolves) the dilemma of "where does the operating system end
and application software begin?".

It was this thought some two decades ago which encouraged me to
conclude that a 'hegemonistic' attitude to 'inclusivity of
functionality' in operating systems specification would ultimately
result in any operating system purveyor who uniquely pursued this as a
strategy becoing 'one-eyed in the country of the blind'.

And it seems this eventuality may perhaps have come to pass, does it
not?

pucycat

1. No difference between fuzzy theory vs Possibility Theory

In my opinion there is no difference between fuzzy set theory and
possibility theory. If you read Zadeh`s first paper on possibility
theory carefully (FSS 1, pp. 3-28, (1978), e.g. on page 6),
you will discover that possibilities and grades of membership always
have the same numerical value. It follows that they describe the same
concept. They are two names for the same thing. Zadeh has still many more
names for grades of membership.

2. Microsoft's Fax to Larry Lessig: Bill Gates as Satan?

3. Q: fuzzy theory .vs. Possibility Theory ??

4. fs. Cabletron 9H-422-12

5. Fuzziness and Fundamental Measurement (Was Re: Modeling Was: Re: Fuzzy theory or probability theory?)

6. Feedback on AUTOTESTER

7. Fuzzy theory or probability theory? / Fuzzy sets

8. good books for STL

9. Fuzzy theory or probability theory?

10. Information theory + Fuzzy Set theory....

11. AI and Complexity Theory (Was: A General Theory of Patterns?)

12. Substructure Searching, Group Theory/Graph Theory.