Qs: Quantification of prenasalization

Post by George K. Mikro » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'm writing my Ph.D. thesis on the sociophonetics of Modern Greek. My
research deals with the variation of prenasalization phenomena,
which occur before voiced-stop environments, e.g.

                ['kabos] ~ ['kambos]    (field)
                ['adras] ~  ['andras]   (man)

Phonetically prenasalization is not categorical but has gradations.
Fujimura (1962:1874) refers to the spectral properties of nasal murmur
and accepts three important features: a) the existence of a very low first
formant around 300 Hz, which is well-separated from the upper formant
structure, b) relatively high-dumping factors of the formants and
c) high density of the formants in the frequency domain.
Lieberman (1988:226), also states that a nasal murmur which is located
around 250 Hz is sufficient for the perception of a nasal consonant,
irrespective of place of articulation.

By examining the spectrograms of prenasalized voiced-stops, I found out
that there is a prominence in spectral energy around 2800 Hz. I find very
difficult to detect and differentiate frequencies from 200 to 300 Hz
between the preceding vowel and the nasal.

I'm searching a way of quantifying the prenasalization energy, so that
I can compare different levels of prenasalization extracted from my data;
a kind of measuring the amount of prenasalization on each word.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions and advices on this matter.

Thanks in advance,

George K. Mikros
University of Athens

1. Qs: About AI & KBS

Hello all. I would like to ask some qustions about AI and KBS.
Here are the questions:
1. What are the differences between AI and Knowledge Based System?
2. Is a KBS system is a natural language program? What it is? How
different natural language and a programming language?
3. How KBS can be used to support decision making? What are the
benefits?
4. What is a role of a user of KBS in the process of design of the
system?
5. If you were asked to be involved in the process of validation of a
KBS. What are the steps and activities you would perfrom/recommend ?
6. What kind of mistakes KBS make and WHY?
7. Do you agree that it is easier to correct mistakes in KBS then in
conventional programs? What is your reasons?
8. How important is influence diagram in KBS development?
9. What is Knowledge Engineer? How different knowledge engineer with
expert? What is knowledge representation and knowledge acquisition?
10. What is Backwar-Chaining and Forward-Chaining?
11. Can a KBS be constructed without any factual knowledge? How? Why?
12. How different between knowledge engineer and system analysts? What
are the major tasks they performs?

I'll be very happy if someone can answer my questions, as it would
broaden my knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.

All answer can be send to my mail

Regards,
Tek Jing...

2. Mac fan too loud! Silent Solution?

3. Quantification of User Behavior

4. Please take a look!

5. Quantification of delay after IIR-filtering?

6. Another message

7. Trouble with Volume Quantification

8. MS-Palmtop file converstion?Where

9. filter parameter quantification

10. Administration Quantification

11. JPEG2000 quantification

12. Quantifications of reliability (was: Freeware Phobia)

13. Object Technology Quantification