question about conways life

Post by nilepp » Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:03:09

I find this program very interesting in that I have been told that it
is Turing Equivalent ie. anything that can be computed by any known
computing device can be computed by some life configuration.

I'm looking at a diagram where they have a circle with shading round
some 'very complicated mass of life cells too big and complicated to
show in detail here' with two parallel streams of gliders going into
it and one stream going out.

The streams represent binary codings (they've got pauses in them) for
addition.
Two numbers going in (encoded), the sum going out.  Very nice.

My question is this?  Its Turing equivalent OK but how on earth did
anyone discover the 'complicated mass' which doees this calculation
when two encoded streams of gliders representing the numbers to be
added in binary are fired into it?  Apart from the mass of
complication which I can only guess at in the 'cloud' the gliders
would have to be very precisely fired into it.

I'm amazed.

question about conways life

Post by Tim Tyle » Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:00:02

[Life - universal]

: Its Turing equivalent OK but how on earth did anyone discover the
: 'complicated mass' which doees this calculation when two encoded
: streams of gliders representing the numbers to be added in binary are
: fired into it?  Apart from the mass of complication which I can only
: guess at in the 'cloud' the gliders would have to be very precisely
: fired into it.

The proof that life is universal is in:

Elwyn R. Berlekamp, John H. Conway, and Richard K. Guy. Winning Ways for
Your Mathematical Plays, 1982.

There's a brief synopsis in Poundstone's The Recursive Universe.

The construction depeneds on sparse streams of gliders from glider
guns, eaters and blocks, and shows how you can construct memory
registers and logic gates.

I'm not sure what picture you're looking at - and so can't really say
how the authors constructed it - but it was probably through
assebmling a number of such simpler elements.
--
__________

Post by nilepp » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:21:56

> [Life - universal]

> : Its Turing equivalent OK but how on earth did anyone discover the
> : 'complicated mass' which doees this calculation when two encoded
> : streams of gliders representing the numbers to be added in binary are
> : fired into it?  Apart from the mass of complication which I can only
> : guess at in the 'cloud' the gliders would have to be very precisely
> : fired into it.

> The proof that life is universal is in:

> Elwyn R. Berlekamp, John H. Conway, and Richard K. Guy. Winning Ways for
> Your Mathematical Plays, 1982.

> There's a brief synopsis in Poundstone's The Recursive Universe.

> The construction depeneds on sparse streams of gliders from glider
> guns, eaters and blocks, and shows how you can construct memory
> registers and logic gates.

> I'm not sure what picture you're looking at - and so can't really say
> how the authors constructed it - but it was probably through
> assebmling a number of such simpler elements.

The diagram just said that there is a complicated mass of cells into
which streams of gliders representing binary numbers can be fired and
a single stream representing the answer emerges.

Thanks for the book references i didn't know they'd done logic gates
too.  I just want to know how they discovered all these shapes.

Will see.  Thankyou very much.

1. Questions: Conways Life

First of all, what's a ZX 80???

Also, what does the 233 part in the subject line mean???

Thanks, and please e-mail me the answer(s)!!!

*Sparky*

*                    *=SPARKY=* HARRIGAN                                     *
*****************Program... program... program********************************

2. Acid Test ? - sendmail.cf

3. Funny variant of Conway's Life... it got Bugged

4. Newbie doubt

5. Conways Life Across a Network

6. message pump in console app

7. Conway's Life and Mathematics.

8. Conway's Life game

9. conways life

10. WANTED AGAIN: 3D Conway's Game of Life

11. WANTED: 3D Conway's Game of Life

12. JH Conway's "Game of Life" on Psion