JOB: Computational Speech Developer

Post by Marg » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Speech Synthesis and Recognition
We currently have openings for motivated professionals interested in
extremely challenging tasks and the opportunity to join our creative team.
The position is that of a Software Engineer/System Analyst in the area of
Speech Synthesis and Recognition.

Position's Basic Requirements:

? Bachelors degree or higher (preferably Masters/PhD) in EE, Math., CSc.
? Strong development ability in C/C++.
? Familiarity with Perl is a plus.
? Fluency in NT and Unix.
? Experience in digital signal processing, state-of-the-art speech
processing, and pattern recognition algorithms.
? Team orientation.
? Excellent analytic skills and problem-solving abilities.
? Sound written and *communication skills.
? Familiarity with Internet technologies.

Position Description:

You will help to develop the technical direction and architecture of INM's
family of speech products which include: a Continuous Speaker-Independent
Speech Recognition System for transcription; a Limited Vocabulary
Isolated/Continuous Speaker-Independent Recognition System for menu-driven
entry systems; a Keyword Spotting System; and a Voice Print Identification
and Speech Synthesis System.

Your responsibilities will include:

? Developing and improving INM's speech software products, including our
recognition engine, our menu-driven dialog system, and our speech analysis
tools.
? Collaboration with INM's GUI group.
? Collaboration with INM's marketing department.

We offer a premium compensation program, with a full benefit plan, and
professional satisfaction.
Our environment is fast-paced and results-oriented, with excellent
opportunity for personal growth and development. If you think that your
temperament would blend in well with that of the existing team, then please
send your resume and a cover letter via mail or electronic mail. Please
address your information to:
INM Inc.
175 Columbia Street West, Suite 203
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 5Z5
Attention: Marg

As we cannot respond to all resume submissions, we would like to thank all
applicants; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be
contacted.

[ comp.ai is moderated.  To submit, just post and be patient, or if ]

[ ask your news administrator to fix the problems with your system. ]

JOB: Computational Speech Developer

Post by a-david » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Ah... the usual education requirement. It's sad. I know a guy that is a
researcher in Speech technology. He works for a major company, doing
research, publishing papers...the usual. Except he has no degree. Would he
be disqualified to work for you?? Would he be discouraged to even
apply..probably. Myself also... been programming professionally C/C++ for
almost 10 years. Currently I'm working on speech synthesis technology.
College degree? nope. Would I even apply to a company that "required" such a
think: nope.

Quote:> ? Bachelors degree or higher (preferably Masters/PhD) in EE, Math., CSc.

Post by David Kin » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Ah... the usual education requirement. It's sad. I know a guy that is a
>researcher in Speech technology. He works for a major company, doing
>research, publishing papers...the usual. Except he has no degree. Would he
>be disqualified to work for you?? Would he be discouraged to even
>apply..probably. Myself also... been programming professionally C/C++ for
>almost 10 years. Currently I'm working on speech synthesis technology.
>College degree? nope. Would I even apply to a company that "required" such a
>think: nope.
>> ? Bachelors degree or higher (preferably Masters/PhD) in EE, Math., CSc.

I don't think the situation's as bad as it might appear, speaking
from my own experiences on both sides of the interview desk.  Firstly,
experience and demonstrated relevant ability is always highly regarded,
irrespective of qualifications.  Particularly in an industrial setting
it's usually weighted as more important.  A particular degree level is
often more an indicator of the level of knowledge and skill required
for the role rather than a hard and fast requirement.  There are
exceptions of course: some academic positions, and some companies which
filter potential employees rather mindlessly, at their loss.  I think
you're selling yourself short if you steer clear of jobs for which
you're well suited but for which you lack a specified qualification.
The best programmer I ever hired had a PhD in immunology!  If you're
confident you can do the job well, it's just a matter of convincing
your prospective employer that you're worth taking a chance on.

--
David