New AI textbook: The Pattern Recognition Basis of AI

New AI textbook: The Pattern Recognition Basis of AI

Post by Don Tvete » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

        The Pattern Recognition Basis of Artificial Intelligence
Backpropagator's Review                     NN freeware for UNIX and PCs
                A Professional BP Version for X and W95

[ toai 1K ]
My introduction to AI textbook called "The Pattern Recognition
Basis of Artificial Intelligence" is now available from IEEE
Computer Society Press.  Originally the title was going to
be "The Basis of AI" since I think its fairly well balanced
between Symbolic and Neural methods however some reviewers did
not think so so I had to go along with the "Pattern Recognition"
part in order to satisfy them and give the title something of a
neural spin.

This book is intended for juniors, seniors and first year
graduate students in Computer Science.  Psychology classes
may find it appropriate as well since I do some comparisons
between symbolic, neural and human methods.

The contents are:

Preface
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Pattern Recognition I (largely vision)
Chapter 3 Pattern Recognition II (largely abstract methods and backprop)
Chapter 4 Rules
Chapter 5 Logic
Chapter 6 Complex Architectures
Chapter 7 Memory Based and Case Based Methods
Chapter 8 Heuristic Search
Chapter 9 Games
Chapter 10 Natural Language
Afterword

Certain "leftover" chapters are available free online as
postscript files:

Chapter 11 Other Neural Networking Methods
Chapter 12 More PROLOG
Chapter 13 LISP

IEEE Computer Society Press has their page on it at:

      http://www.computer.org/cspress/catalog/bp07796.htm

and lists it as $46 for non-members, $40 for members while
Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/ lists it for $32.20.

I have an outline and commentary at:

      http://www.mcs.com/~drt/basisofai.html

Free NN software for Unix and PCs is listed at:

      http://www.mcs.com/~drt/svbp.html

1. AI in Pattern Recognition Session

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S
              =============================

 The 2001 International Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and
Technology (CISST)
         Monte Carlo Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
                     June 25-28, 2001

The call for papers for the AI in Pattern Recognition Session of  the
International
Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology.  You are invited

accepted
papers will be published in the conference proceedings.

SCOPE OF THE SESSION:
The scope of the session is quite broad  and includes the following
topics:
Rule Base, Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic and Genetic algorithms for
Pattern Recognition Tasks
Efficient and Intelligent Approaches and Techniques for Feature
Extraction from various Patterns
Hybrid AI approaches for Pattern Recognition
Plausible Theories and Models for Pattern Recognition

IMPORTANT DATES:

March 1, 2001 (Thursday):  Draft papers (about 4 to 5 pages) due
April 2, 2001 (Monday):    Notification of acceptance
May 1, 2001 (Tuesday):     Camera-Ready papers & Prereg. Due

Send your draft papers to:

School of Computing and Mathematics,
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough, TS1  3BA
England

2. Momentum computer

3. CFP: AI in Pattern Recognition

4. ISBN "Optimizing PowerPC code"

5. AI in Pattern Recognition Session

6. Watcom 10.0 FS

7. CFP: AI in pattern recognition

8. Finding and deleting Physical printer objects

9. AI in Pattern Recognition Session

10. CFP: AI in Pattern Recognition

11. JOB: PhD studentship (Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, AI Group)

12. CFP: AI in Pattern Recognition Session of ICISST

13. AI in Pattern Recognition Session