coffee-nickname progress (was, for no particular reason): Send America's Delinquents To Palestine

coffee-nickname progress (was, for no particular reason): Send America's Delinquents To Palestine

Post by Kent Paul Dola » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:19:21




Quote:> I just got my StarLogo-language permutation generator,
> originally ported by me from Fortran 66 code, ported
> to Java.  Whee!  Since I _still_ cannot figure out
> how the algorithm works (though I'm getting closer
> with each port), this acts as proof of concept that all
> computer languages are essentially interchangable.

This also involved, as a test driver, the first time I've run a Java program
all of whose code was written by me. I still couldn't put an applet together to
run in a browser window, but I'm getting closer.

The permutor I ported is data dependent, it will permute _exactly_ the integers
from 1 to N, and return all N! permutations, one per call (can you guess how
much easier this is in Java, where objects can have state, than it was in the
original Fortran 66 version), but will not, for example, permute an array
containing the integers 0 to N-1 correctly, so I permute the former, then
reduce each entry by one to use the latter as indirect indices into the data I
_really_ want to permute, an arbitrary set of indices of cities in a Traveling
Salesman problem genome representing some subset of all the cities, that I want
to permute in all possible orders.

That data dependence is, sooner or later, going to force me to figure out how
the algorithm works (the breakage in shifting origins is obvious, it does some
modulus 2 arithmetic with the data values), so that I can make it work faster.

This goal, in turn, is subordinate to that of adding heuristics to Scott Robert
Ladd's Traveller applet.  Permutation heuristics are interesting because they
can be arbitrarily "powerful" in a sense I haven't yet defined precisely,
depending on how many cities, or sublists of cities, join in the permutation,
and help genetic algorithms break log-jam points where to get from *here* to
*there* involves a lot of changes at once, with no obvious fitness-increasing
path that takes those changes one by one.

xanthian.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

 
 
 

coffee-nickname progress (was, for no particular reason): Send America's Delinquents To Palestine

Post by Rémon Sinnem » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 05:33:55




Quote:> > Since I _still_ cannot figure out
> > how the algorithm works (though I'm getting closer
> > with each port), this acts as proof of concept that all
> > computer languages are essentially interchangable.

Since all computer languages are capable of universal computation, this
comes as no surprise...

 
 
 

1. OJ/AI: Quantifying *legal* progress (Was: Quantifying literary progress)

Here's yet-yet another-another way of looking at the quantifying-
progress question, this time from the perspective of the *law*...

I paid as little attention as possible to the OJ case, until this
matter of the Fuhrman tapes came up.  And I think this was largely
because the dramatic complications just hadn't been that interesting--
it was the same-old same-old, but at a vastly magnified scale...

But to me, this matter of Ito's suppressing the tapes about falsifying
evidence seems very interesting, because it's so *complicated*.

And I wonder if the people who deny *progress* in literature will
admit that in the law, there is a definite trend towards more precise
delineation of the *details*...???

I can picture a legal expert system that's constructed in layers,
from the simple cases toward the more-and-more complex, and I
assume that a great deal of legal expertise involves understanding
how to sort out the complexities in a convincing way... which is
what took Ito several days to think thru, in this case, apparently...

Normally, you have crime-suspect-evidence-witness-- this is the
simple case, and it implies certain strictures of fairness towards
the suspect...

But with Fuhrman, you have to consider the complications of
crime-suspect-plantedEvidence-lyingWitness-crimeOfPlantingEvidence-
crimeOfPerjury...

And you have to balance fairness towards OJ with fairness towards
Fuhrman... to a point where the overlapping layers and conflicts
really strain anyone's clear thinking...

I haven't heard much of the response to Ito's decision-- I suspect
laypeople will be shocked that he excluded so much... but I have
no idea if lawyers will defend the decision as true to the principles
of evidence.  (And I dread the possibility that Ito's choice will
force a retrial...  ;^/

My image of progress in Lit includes, *as one aspect*, the idea that
novelists (and other literateurs) are accumulating a body of shared
psychological detail, very similarly to lawyers' accumulating a body
of shared legal detail.

But the way this detail works-- because it's fairly intuitive,
especially-- ***you don't have to study the classics before you can
grasp the moderns***.

j

2. IEEE 1394 (Firewire) and USB on one PCI card?

3. DE BONO's Book :`I am Right, You are Wrong'.

4. ListView....

5. Who's heard of HNet from AND America, LTD.

6. Client/Server Methods

7. What's the progress with Genetic Programming?

8. Limit to Project's tasks

9. Neural Processing Letters VoL.2 Nos.2&3

10. caffeine free coffee beans

11. Neural Processing Letters Vol.2 Nos.2&3

12. WANTED: C code for Riolo's GA in Sci Am